Opinion on height of horse.

Eventing

Moderator: EC

Opinion on height of horse.

Postby Teensy » Sat May 14, 2005 9:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im looking on buying a horse. I found one that i rally like, however im a little worried about her height. She is 15. 1, but she can jumped the moon! She is able to go to prelim. Im 16 and just strating pre-training this year. Im also 5.5. Do you think her eight is going to be a problem, or is it going to be good. Beside she is a dream come true!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks so much,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Teensy#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby ~BreezieStorm~ » Sat May 14, 2005 10:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My friend has a mare she is 15.1hh had a coach come right out and tell her this horse could never do crap because of her height.  First Trillium show (hunter/jumper) out the horse got a second over 2'6'' and the coach was pissed because we proved the mare could do it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also look at northern dancer he was 15.1hh the only TB not to sell in the yearling sale that year he was up for sale everyone said he was too small couldnt do it, and then won 14 out of the 18 races he ran.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Height is nothing its all about heart#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~BreezieStorm~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Promise » Sun May 15, 2005 12:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If she's your dream horse in every way other than being a few inches short -- I'd say go for it! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I mean you wouldn't look silly on her (I mean 5'5 on 15.1 looks just fine. And you probaby won't get any taller ;) ) and she can jump the moon as you said ;) So there's really no problem is there?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She sounds like a pretty neat mare! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

<3 Guinness ~ Buckskin Beauty
Promise
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Sun May 15, 2005 1:05 am

i used to think height was everything. then i got my girl. shes only 16hh which may sound tall to some but i was used to riding 17-17.3hh so going to her was like coming down from the clouds. i was actually pretty skeptical our first few rides then she began to remmeber the dressage and i began to feel her power and heart, once we began to jump and i felt how she took each jump i knew she was mine. i've always loved her but it just felt like something clicked that day. shes the best horse ever and i would never give her up for another 17hh horse!! and honestly if their heart is there (i know its already been said so lets just say i'm reinforcing it lol ) then you have nothing to worry about, its also about your bond and love for her too. give her a whirl i'm totally confident she'll come through for you!
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun May 15, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#15.1hh is a good size. One girl I used to ride with had a 15h quarter horse mare that went up to prelim on the young riders team and won. So there you go. Not some fancy tb or anything, your every day qh. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Sun May 15, 2005 10:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah 15.1 is not a bad size, I know&nbsp;lots ponies that have jumped 3'3-4ft . If she can do what you want to do Id say go for it! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Brianna » Sun May 15, 2005 4:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#Height isn't important if they have the ability and the heart. When I was about 15, I used to school a 14.1hh Arab mare over 4'6" fences with no issues, she took them better than most of the taller horses in the barn. :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Brianna
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pony Hunter » Sun May 15, 2005 4:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use to own a 11.3H pony that could easily jump a course of 2'6 with lots of room to spare. She thought she was a big warmblood espically when she could boss around my 15.1H mare lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Kobau » Sun May 15, 2005 6:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm i used to compete 3'6 h/j on 14.2hh and 15.1 hh morgan mares. There was never a doubt in their minds or mine that they could do it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and i just read an article about a Morgan/arab/appy( they think that is the cross) out there in Ont, think his show name is Naughty by Nature... he is 15.1 hh i think and moving up to Prelim eventing...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#size can be a factor... but it is more the size of the heart and the size the horse thinks they are! Personally i think with you being 5.5 and her being 15.1 is is a great match, plus if she is great in every other aspect go for it!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Clio » Wed May 18, 2005 3:00 pm

I totally agree with the others, especially Kobau--I have a 15.1#ed_op#br#ed_cl#Morganand am 5'7", and love the fact that she's smaller!&nbsp; Great#ed_op#br#ed_cl#thingabout smaller horses is that they can shorten their stride so much#ed_op#br#ed_cl#moreeasily than many larger horses, which I imagine would be important#ed_op#br#ed_cl#forstadium (I do jumper, not eventing, but I assume it's#ed_op#br#ed_cl#similar...)&nbsp;AND many of them can turn on a dime, which helps cut#ed_op#br#ed_cl#down on thoseprecious seconds.&nbsp; So many people have poo-pooed my#ed_op#br#ed_cl#horse's size(and breed), trying to get me to buy a big thoroughbred or#ed_op#br#ed_cl#warmblood(like I have the money#ed_op#img src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley24.gif"#ed_cl#!), but like you said, we click, she can jump, and that's all there is to it!#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#[edited to try and correct some very strange formatting problems--haven't used the "new" board yet...]#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
[edited again to say that the editing didn't work--how do you make your words not run together?]#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Last edited by Clio on Wed May 18, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsemad! » Wed May 18, 2005 3:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Naughty by Nature is going Prelim now and I believe his owner has hopes that he'll be her Advanced horse.&nbsp; Size isn't everything!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu May 19, 2005 6:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ohh man, who had this horse, its name was Biblical (spelling) he was only like 15.2 or something and he did the big grand prix jumping.... was very famous... was it Beezie Maddens horse or something? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry haha im not totally up on show jumping. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The horse you guys are talking about though, I can see doing prelim, but I doubt it will make advanced.... Alot of horses end up at prelim and have to stop... Because after that it a completly different...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im not trying to put the horse down or anything because of size or anything... But realistically... Up until prelim you get alot of different breeds because its more about the jumping ability rather than the speed and stamina. After prelim, getting into 3-days you are going to see TBs and TB crosses.&nbsp;And there is a reason for that. &nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like a 15.1hh horse is going to have an extremly hard time going through a 3-day (which is what comes after prelim)... I dont even know what phases they still do have, but a 15.1hh crossbred against a 16+ tb or tb cross.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If wouldnt have the speed or stamina. Even for the short course, the cross-country phase is still a really long and hard course. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Thu May 19, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I, for one, hope Jessica and Naughty by Nature prove you wrong, Xena.&nbsp; He's a handy little horse with lots of stamina and athleticism!&nbsp; Actually, my last post was wrong... I think they have moved up to Intermediate already after being successful at Prelim.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What say you about the trend toward warmbloods in top level eventing?&nbsp; #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/20.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; Scuttlebutt is that the FEI is changing&nbsp;to the short format to accomodate just such horses.&nbsp; And how about Windswept?&nbsp; He's 1/2 Connemara if I'm not mistaken, and he's doing well at Advanced.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Thu May 19, 2005 3:23 pm

Wasn't the horse that won the jump off at the royal only 15h????
I believe the fence got up to 7 ft!!!!!!!

We have a small 15.1h tb cross at my stable (eventing barn). I ride him (Happy) and he does a 4 foot course with ease!

Just because they are small doesn't mean they can't do the job.
Shoal

Postby Ruth » Thu May 19, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My 14.1hh Morgan mare jumped over 5' gates with ease in her day. At 22 she tried and caught it with her front legs and has now thankfully finally given up on jumping out. At 18 she jumped out of a field during&nbsp;a thunderstorm (left her foal on the other side, good thing I was there!), the fence where she jumped was about 5'5". I remember in one jumper class doing a line that was set for 7 strides, she did it in 5. The course designer had a good laugh about it, she was the only pony in&nbsp;a class full of horses!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't forget about Stroller who was 14.2 and competed in the Olympics (I believe he contributed to a team medal for Great Britain), or Little Squire, the Connemara&nbsp;who won a Puissance at Madison Square Gardens.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

thanks guys!

Postby Teensy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, thanks for all that replied!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think this horse is gonna be my future ride. Hopefully all works out!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You've all been so helpful!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Tue May 24, 2005 1:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just a note about Naughty by Nature, he is part morgan, and if he is anything like my Morgans, which from what i've seen and read he is. Speed and stamina will not be a problem. hell i was proud of getting time faults( only time i ever got them) when i was doing a 4' jumper course on my one 15.2 hh Morgan mare. We got the time faults because I stopped her halfway around and made her stand for 30 sec+.. we got .25 of a time fault.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes i've heard many say that eventing is going to short format to allow for a wider variety of horses, aka wb's. But honestly, looking at land, and $ and ppl needed to run events i can understand dropping at least the steeplecase out... I actually like the roads and tracks porption, but here in MB only one event has that part anyways..and none have the steeplecase portion, haven't had it for a long time. I personally like the short format, but that is just me....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Kobau - yeah, I read about Naughty by Nature, he sounds like an awesome horse.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
And yes, lots of ponies and half ponies have wayyyy outjumped other taller horses and won big events.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
It's heart, not size that matters.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
At my barn there are people who really admire my little Morgan. He may
be small in stature but several have commented that he moves like a TB
or a WB.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So go for this mare. If you think she's right, then give it a go.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Buck the trends towards big horses, get a little one and show them how great it can be.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My coach has this theory that the taller a horse is, the dumber it is.
Says it's brain is too far from it's legs. Makes sense in a way cuz
ponies are probably the smartest and craftiest little equnies out there.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Meagan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Naughty By Nature was 3rd at Bromont in the CIC** division. For those who don't know * levels are oftne tougher than horse trials, and a ** is hence a difficult intermediate. If hes placing in the top I most definitely expect he'll go Advanced. Eventers are usually the least likely to people to overestimate their horses abilities. Some do I realize, but more often than not eventers seem to ride their horse at a level thinking thats it, then discover the horse is bored and ready to move up a level.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse is a small 15.3 with shoes- slab sided, narrow thoroughbred mare. I'm 6 feet. I'm also a big&nbsp;6 feet and ideally suited to a horse 16.3 and solid, so we are an odd duo. My mare is successful at prelim, finished her first CIC* at Bromont and is long listed for NAYRC. I *am* too big for her by normal standards, so I have to be more careful about my weight and balance and upper body. If I duck, she'll drop a rail or worse flip on xc. I have to be careful and I am dealing with time faults, but I trained this horse from scratch myself and shes a talented little horse and to me its worth it. Sometimes you have to work harder with a small horse (distances, making time, or the balance thing if your a larger rider) but if your ok with that, its worth it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's my little girl pretending to be a big guy:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://tetleyphoto.com/Galleries/BCCI5/CICOneStar/broc50409.htm?size=1&amp;exif"#ed_cl#http://tetleyphoto.com/Galleries/BCCI5/CICOneStar/broc50409.htm?size=1&amp;exif#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#=#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Theres nothing better than having 17 hands between your legs.
Meagan
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#cute horse... love the pink gear you have there... hehe#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Eventing