conditioning plans

Eventing

Moderator: EC

conditioning plans

Postby weehaw » Sun May 15, 2005 5:17 pm

there is like absolutely nothing in this forum sooooooo i came up with another topic lol whats everyones conditioning plan to get ready for your events? i havn't fully put one together yet but mine right now consist of hill work at least twice a week. jumping 1-2 times a week. dressage everytime i ride. gallop days. and hopefully work up to a 45 minute trot.(just seemed like something to work towards lol) so tell us yours. maybe we'll find some new things to put into our plans!
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Sun May 15, 2005 6:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well... since right now i'm studying for a major math test, last test of the term and then no classes hopefully till fall term, getting fit hasn't happened yet! I am planning on riding 5-6 days a week, i figure my horse needs a break also plus i am working more than one horse and need days when i don't have to ride but can do other stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me it will be dressage everytime i ride, plus hacking and if i can find some hills i'll be incorporateing them in at least once a week. I also have a beautiful sandy bottomed spring nearby and once a week i will go and work there to get both my horse and i used to entering and exiting water obstacles. Jumping 1-2 days a week. To start with lots of slow steady work,... it isn't formalised yet.. but it gives me an idea!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good thread to start Weehaw!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby weehaw » Sun May 15, 2005 7:24 pm

thank you! i LOVE this forum, i just wish there was more on here!!!! so since our events are fast approaching i thought maybe we could discuss this! i shuold definately try the water!! problem: i don;t have any water lol
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun May 15, 2005 8:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Weehaw, what level are you training for? Do you go to Canterdown?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was planning on training for at least pre-training this summer (the old pre-training I dont know what nimber it is now) before Xena messed up her leg... But who knows, it may still be a possibility towards that end of the summer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Right now, i've just started taking her for runs after we work. Its not a long run, sometimes I do more than other days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Theres 1 hill that I take her up every day as well... not steep or anything, just enough to make her work. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other than that I alternate jumping and dressage every couple days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For jumping we're working on getting courses going, grids, switching leads ect... The jumps are only like 2'6 but she just started jumping again, so once shes more in shape she will do higher. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would like to take her to some jumper shows around here this summer. I dont think I will get to do a full event circuit... sadly.. that was the plan. So it might just be another play around summer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But im moving Xena home now, and need to recovery from her vet bills haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Mon May 16, 2005 1:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well i'm working on getting me in shape along with horses... so i'm walking more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but so far the horses have been working themselves more.. you see them trotting and cantering more in the fields, and they are useing my natural terrain for work, i havea road allowance that they have been cantering up and down lots lately....... but for now lots of dressage and road work...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby weehaw » Mon May 16, 2005 2:01 pm

Xena this will actually be my first year eventing but i have some awesome friends that event. my best friend actually lol. are there any other specific things i should be doing? i have a 16hh thoroughbred mare whos been off for a while. we just started jumping again and i really have to ride her over the jumps i'm hoping her confidence will build up quickly though. and Xena i know i've asked this before but i couldn't remmeber where i posted it!!!! lol so you have a gorgeous horse what breed? i love the coloring!!! where do you ride? and what happened? is your horse ok? i'm sorry if i am being nosy you don't have to answer if you don't want to! any ways anyone else have different plans?
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon May 16, 2005 2:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#haha well she is a tb cross, only 6... we board near bellville ontario. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In November she got into a fight and got kicked. She had to go to guelph to have bone chips removed from her hock. The good thing was that it was from an area of hock that did not affect her motion or anything. And he bone chips were long but not deep in the bone. She does have a capped hock now though which is a shame because she IS a nice looking horse... Oh well... in eventing and jumping they dont care what the horse looks like haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With your mare, since you asked for suggestions, grid work is one of the best things to do. You may already be doing it... But thats what I do with Xena, its great. I also find tbs to bomb around fast sometimes, xena does it too, so grids will also help with that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you start off with small grids, like trot polls and then an x and then a 2 foot jump, that will help to build the horses confidence, once she works that good you can make the jumps higher. But height isnt always everything. Grid work is great excersize and will help build alot of "push". #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may already do gridwork but meh, thought id suggest it anyways. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So what about you? Where do you ride ect?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Mon May 16, 2005 6:22 pm

i started riding when iw as really little but had a bad fall and quit for 4 years. i just got started about 1.5 years ago and now i finally have my first horse (meaning i had ponies lol) and now we are at a barn near london. i hope to get to a few events this summer. my girl is a 16hh TB mare (as you already know lol) she had a while off due to the fact that she had her baby who is absolutely gorgeous! lol she was trained in dressage but we have started jumping. my only problem is that as i'm relearning to jump and she doesn;'t have a otn of confidence right now, she tends to run out and refuse a lot meaning my confidence being shaken, but we'll overcome that in no time hopefully lol.
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Eventing