whoo hoo... started interval work!

Eventing

Moderator: EC

whoo hoo... started interval work!

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well since this forum is soooo dead I thought Id just ramble on a bit about me and Xena haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started doing Interval training with her this week to start getting her into shape for the event im taking her to. We're doing PT90. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anyways, my interval program is like this:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 5 mins walk only #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 5 mins walk/trot transitions. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins walk#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins canter#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins walk#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins canter#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins walk#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins canter#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 3 mins walk#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 2 mins trot#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- 10 mins walk cool out#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone else have any program or excerisizes they are working on?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't even been on my horse(s) in over a month.  Between the rotten cold I had and the excessive heat, I just didn't have the energy/lungs/strength to even think about riding.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tonight looks good though - think I'll go out and ride both the fat bums.  Don't think I'll get to any shows this year though - maybe foxhunting in the fall?  Sigh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But sounds good what you're doing (I know, I speaka da good English LOL)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sucks TB... Foxhunting would be fun though. I always wanted to try that haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shes only doing doing PT90 so I dont have to get too crazy with the interval stuff, but its so hot I just want her to be in really excellent shape. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I havent been able to do much because of the heat but yesterday it was raining and sooooo cool out, that I just decided to go for it and ride in the rain anyways. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Xena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you do anything special about monitoring pulse or breathing during your interval training?  Or maybe you just play it by ear while you're riding.  If he seems too winded, do you slow down?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd like to start doing some of this and am wondering how much science to apply to it.  I want him to get in shape, but I don't want to baby him so much that I back off if he gets too tired.  Then we'll never improve!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Slim
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont really check pulse or anything... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know my horse well though and when she is getting too much it is obvious to me. There are some days when I can canter fopr longer and some less.... It depends on the weather, smog ect... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse is in everyday fair shape, not too over weight ect, than the one I started with posted ubove is a fairly general starting point. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can start with less times if you feel its needed and work up to longer canter spreads.  The thing is to know your horse well enough to know when you can push them farther or when to hold back. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What are you planning on doing with your horse? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#...sorry...been on vacation and haven't checked messages. Thanks for your answer x-n-j.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I plan to do some introductory type eventing.  School the basics over the winter and start next year.  Might do a few x-c schooling days before snow flies so I get the hang of it and know what to work on while we're indoors.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to make sure I don't either 1) push him too hard for the conditioning part or 2) baby him.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried a few interval type hacking sessions over the last 2 weeks.  Seems to work quite nice! Having the "science" of timing the intervals keeps me motivated to get a good workout and not back off and enjoy the scenery.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Slim
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good to hear its going well slim.. If you are doing PT80 you really dont need to do that much, maybe a little bit of interval but the courses are nothard at all. Even for PT90, but I over trained a bit because its so hot here. You do need to push them a bi to further the training, like with anything, but if you know your horse you can usually tell. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and let us know how everything is going!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Eventing