summer 2006. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or good first
events. I did go to the Checkmate event in September as a groom to a
friend and fell in love with it...but im wondering how and where to
start. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
riptide
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Find a good event coach and start with them. The eventing system changed, so instead of entry level, there are three pre-training levels. PT 70 (70 cm height) PT80 and PT90. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another good thing to check out is finding a grasshopper event in your area. Something ridiculously low, 2' or 2'3' that is not at all serious and is a good learning experience. I found that the small height of the fences and the atmosphere were inviting and made it a great first experience. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Marty_Jones » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off WELCOME to eventing#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl# Second. Get a crash vest/Body protector. (Tipperary is the best kind) Its Manditory for XC, also get a certified helmet. Make sure that you get some lessons and that when you jump your not a head or ducking.(it can cause serious problems and is very dangerous) You will need your OEF membership no mater what. Your OHTA is not manditory you can buy a "day pass" on your entry. You may want to get it if your planning to show all summer but if you only ging to a few shows then dont bother its not worth it. Make sure if your horse has shoe that he has studs(I made that mistake my body is still feeling it from 3yrs ago lol.) I myself have not been to checkmate however for a good encouraging event I found Grandview HT to be a good one. Nothing to scary lol. Anywho Im sure you have more questions so ask away. And the most important thing about eventing is to have a TON of FUN!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby horsemad! » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A coach (and crew if you're lucky) who are familiar with eventing is really important.  Grandview is a great starter event if you're ready to go PT80.  I belive Caledon and Equus 3D run PT70 divisions... not sure what other events do - possibly Killusty which might be closer for you (near Bobcaygeon).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for a crash vest, it's my understanding (and confirmed on the OHTA website) that it's recommended but not mandatory.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For more info check out #ed_op#A href="http://www.horsetrials.on.ca"#ed_cl#http://www.horsetrials.on.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

eventing

Postby riptide » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:23 pm

Ok, well event coachs in my area are kinda hard to come by. So im
breaking up my coaching between a dressage coach and a hunter/jumper
coach with a very basic event course. If anyone has or knows of any
used but still in good condition crash vests please let me no...the
cheapest one in my area is $250. I have a certified helmet and i have a
solid base in jumping (i've been a hunter/jumper for about 3 or 4 years
now). One of my best friends has been eventing for a long time...atlest
8 years (Erin Blakeley of Riding On Wings..if any of you have heard of
her) and she does know her stuff so shes kinda trying to help me along
but shes not sure if shes showing this summer and...shes just telling
me to go any event...id like to start out with something low, just to
get my confidence up and see what its like. Thanks alot for the posts
guys..keep em coming if u have any more info!
"It is not enough for a man to know how to ride; he must know how to fall." -Mexican Proverb
riptide
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your short like me you can fit into a youth sized vest. Mine was 169 and only had 1 tax because it was youth. lol.  You can try looking on ebay too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would start out pre-entry or PT70 it is low and simple. If you survive that then you can move up to PT80 which is also very easy. But a bit bigger jumps. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#H/J is much different then eventing. One thing that that a hunter does is do perfect striding... none of this in eventing. Your horse needs to learn to stride it out at his own comfortable pace and he needs to learn this so that when your in a jam your horse will be confident and know how to get out of it. If your horse rely's on you to tell him what to do you will get into trouble. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing you can practice doing is taking your horse out in the fields or trails, and letting him pick his own canter/gallop (of course dont let him run like hell) but let him get used to a faster pace and get a steady rythym going. Once your horse is comfortable with this you can then start adding in jumps.  And then bounces and combinations. I wouldnt worry about water because there is no water until PT90#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And when you are eventing you will notice eventers ride with a much deeper seat, none of this tush in the air stuff that hunters do hehe. You sit deep and push the horse to the base of the jump, if your bums not in there you will be ahead of your horse and throw him off balance. It is better to be behind your horse and have a neck strap to grab then be infront and throw him off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And just so you know there are TONS of eventers around peterborough? I will try and find some for you... If your into doing a bit of travelling once in awhile we have one here in trenton, but it would be an hours drive for you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:20 pm

the vest for xc is mandatory, otherwise all facilities would be in hell over liability issues. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
key things, coach, vest helmet, and a happy attitude that will allow you to have fun during the learning process!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Welcome to our world!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its funny, I have a book from the late eighties and there's pictures of people at Badminton without vests..scary stuff!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby horsemad! » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Vests aren't mandatory - not under OHTA rules, anyway...  I've seen some people go at the lower levels without vests.  Not many, but some do.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is direct from the OHTA's web site:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: green"#ed_cl#XC DRESS#ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/B#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#Breeches#ed_op#I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#Long boots, #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /#ed_cl##ed_op#st1:City#ed_cl##ed_op#st1:place#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#jodhpur#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/st1:place#ed_cl##ed_op#/st1:City#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl# boots or ‘boot system’ as in dressage.#ed_op#I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#XC shirt with sleeves.#ed_op#I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#XC crash vest is strongly recommended.#ed_op#I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/I#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#Protective headgear, which meets or exceeds ASTM standards. The harness must be secured at all times when jumping. The competitor must stop and secure the harness if it becomes undone during the round.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#A #ed_op#B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"#ed_cl#medical arm band.#ed_op#/B#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#Whips not exceeding 30 inches in length.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#Spurs may be worn with the ends pointed downwards and not exceeding 3.5 cm in length. No rowels are allowed.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 1.6pt 0pt 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .25in; mso-list: l12 level1 lfo24"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"#ed_cl#·#ed_op#SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl#A Competition number must be worn using the number holder.#ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 1.6pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN style="COLOR: green"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~~ Stupid should hurt! ~~
Jimmy Wofford
horsemad!
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#they arnt mandatory, but if youve just started, many facilities will lend you one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Meagan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Kobau wrote:the vest for xc is mandatory, otherwise all facilities would be in hell over liability issues. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Go figure that that hasn't changed yet. Horsemad is right in saying they aren't mandatory, but I for one don't really understand why and how. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meagan
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Eventing