HELP!

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

HELP!

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#00407f#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#I need help! My TB gelding is maxed out as far as Eventing goes thanks to a track injury, and I'm told that I should try him in the Hunters. This is a good idea for me as well since I am coming back from an injury, and according to my coach, sit like a hunter. However! I have never gone to a hunter show! What do you wear? What's the etiquette? I assume the braiding is the same for Hunter as for Stadium in Eventing, correct? Also, does anyone wear protective vests?(I fell off and hurt myself bad enough that i have mastered the art of wearing an event vest under my jacket). As well, what are some good schooling shows to go to in the Hamilton- Barrie area? This is kind of intimidating! LOL Thanks for your help!#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#00407f#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#00407f#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Em#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
" I never knew true happiness until I saw a horse"
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well first off your brave.(Im an eventer too but started out as a hunter) The style change every year. No black jackets Im told.... hunter green, navy, grey???? show shirt this year I belive are pastel colours. No white apparently. and always wear gloves. Braiding is a must along with the braiding of the tail(no clipping tehe thats what I do lol im lazy) No boots or wraps are allowed. You can have a nice leather bresrplate with a standing martingail (last time I checked) Vest are not worn but if you can hide it and not skweek then by all means wear it. I wear mine all the time bit not at hunter shows unless its a super green horse or a fair. You cannot have a flash, but you may use any bit(my hunter barns fave was the pelham and kimberwick#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl#) D-rings last time I checked were "in" as well. your saddle pad should always be white and shaped(I use a square tho... I dont care lol) As for shows you could try Trail Blazers. Also che the OEF site thay should have more info. How about some conbined tests?? I know the Grandview and Glen oro(Jerrat area) hold them and theres more around that area check the omnibus or go to #ed_op#A href="http://www.eventingincanada.com"#ed_cl#www.eventingincanada.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# they have the tenitive dates there. Well I think thats it so Good luck and Have fun#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Greetings/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#aww crap! I show in a black custom made jacket and a white shirt... oh well, i'll go in there and event it up i guess! I hear it's not so political at the schooling level! My horse will do well, he looks like a hunter for sure. What about dress boots? *Arg!* lol!! The white shaped pad i think i can do! Thanks for your help! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're showing schooling shows, then the colour of your outfit doesn't matter. I see lots of people in black jackets and white shirts.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You dont' need a breastplate or anything like that, but it does seem that most hunters wear a standing martingale...however, my thing is, why would you put unneccessary equipment on your horse if they don't need it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But as I said, showing schooling show is much more simplistic, I know it gets much more nit-picky as you progress though. However, most schooling shows expect you to have your horse braided for hunter (although tail isn't necessary-but I think it looks nice), wear a jacket, no chaps, tall boots unless you are a child, then you can wear paddock boots, white shaped saddle pad, and now leg gear. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm in Hamilton, and there you can go to places like the Ancaster Saddle Club, Touch N' Go, the Hamilton HuntClub, Black's Equine Center, Twinholm, Milestone Stables...the list goes on. I myself have been to ASC, HHC, BEC and MS.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby DurhamJumper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Braiding is not a must at schooling shows, people just do it for practice, but if you dont braid make sure the mane is all on the same side.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your going to go with a black jacket I would pick up a coloured shirt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In hunter you and the horse and being judged you want to do something to make yourself stand out from the rest so that when the judge is mark you sit in her mind.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep in mind this is completley judge so its not so much how you and the horse ride its really is how you stand out from the rest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My collar never matches my shirt, now you will all be able to pick me out in a crowd#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gloves are not a must at schooling shows, actually i've rode A and never worn gloves.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dress boots are a no thats dressage gotta go with field boots, depending on your size i got a pair for sale for cheap.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unless your horse needs a breast plate dont bother and martigales are frowned upon and not allowed at some shows.  Little things like that will be stated when you register.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you want to go out to the Pickering area pickering horse shows are good.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
DurhamJumper

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, poo. LOL I guess I'm on the lookout for feild boots? I'm actually re considering this hunter thing b/c it's beginning to cost a lot of money. Buying a good coloured shirt, new boots (and for some reason they're hard to find) and a new helmet is getting to be a bit much. Thank you all for all your help!!! I'll probably still give it a go, we'll see how it pans out! lol #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have 2 friends that show with dress boots in hunter and no one ever complained. and there easier to clean lol #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're just doing local schooling shows, a black jacket and your dress boots should be fine. Braiding is not necessary but does add just that extra little bit to your horse's appearance. If you can fit your flak jacket on under your jacket I say go for it. I want to get one for myself eventually. As for the standing martingale, you can't go wrong using one on your horse and I have yet to come across a show of any level that does not allow standing martingales in the hunter ring. And quite honestly if your horse doesn't need a martingale I wouldn't use it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The main thing for showing in the hunters is you want your appearance to be neat, tidy and understated. You're there to show off the horse, not yourself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Arcadia » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In a lot of cases martingales are not allowed in the under saddle classes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Who cares what colour your jacket is, that drives me bonkers with the fads#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have fun, you will have a hoot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Welcome to the hunters! I love it.  A lot of stuff was already covered above, but i want to ad just a few things that I'm sure your trainer will tell you anyway.  I think braiding always looks nice - even at the schooling level - shows that you are prepared and neat.  A tidy look for you and the horse is a must, but remember that hunters judge the horse, not the rider. However, a messy rider will detract from the look of the horse. you can find a cheaper colored shirt that looks just as nice - I got mine for $30 (US). Remember its about the horse - strides down the line count, as do getting the lead change in a timely manner, and not tapping the rails.  I've seen nice, smooth, consistent go's beat out "fancier" horse with less-consistent rides. If you've never done the hunters before, it may be a good idea to go watch a show to get a feel of what the judge is looking for and stuff like that. Also, check the rules for any show...around here, standing martingales arent allowed in a lot of the classes.  Good luck and have fun! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, i got my hands on a purple shirt! Tho i must admit i'm going to feel a bit odd going around a ring in purple. I think I'll stick with dress boots to see if i get kicked out or not! lol I've actually found two horses I can possibly part board (and event) on the EMG bulletin board, so that may be the route i'll take. This hunter thing is very interesting though! So different from Eventing. Thanks everyone for all your help!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#EmJ#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PS As far as braids and gloves go, if I stepped in the Phase 1 dressage ring without either, I'd be eliminated on the spot. What can I say? The habits have been drilled into me :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:30 am

The braids aren't taped like dressage braids though...they are braided
with yarn or special string. I was trying to find out why you needed a
new helmet. If its a non-velvet helmet, you can pick up a velvet cover
for it for less than $10. The jacket and dress boots, no one will
notice, a lot of kids on the schooling circuit show in those vinyl
boots anyway, which look like dress boots. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I would braid and polish your horse up, and go have some fun. After
eventing, you'll find the hunters very relaxing. The courses will be
easier to remember (In the schooling ring if I remember which jump to
jump first, the rest of the course follows itself), and the day a lot
less intensive (I used to event and was completely strung out at the
end of the day. Doing the hunters I was always just satisfingly tired).
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Kobau » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i did hunter and jumper at the same time, always wore dress boots(prefer them, easier to clean and they fit me better) a black jacket and i always wore light beige breeches.. i did have some pastel shirts, one pink and one blue, but you couldn't tell the colour less you were right next to me! (tells you that the trends go in cycles! i have been out of hunter for about 10+ yrs and now pastel is back!) I do have a dark hunter green coat now... but that is cause i wanted it! and i'd outgrown my black hunt coat while i still fit my black dressage coat........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anyways, go out have fun that is the main thing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Hunter/Jumper