Did you know? (Rant!)

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DN- I must agree with you that I do know many o/f riders (both hunters and jumpers) that dont' do flat work, however I also know alot who do. I myself do mainly flat work. Actually, out of the days that I ride Zippy 2 of them a spent jumping (although one of them is usually pole work) and the other 3 are spent working on the flat. Zippy does shoulders/haunches in/out (although is still working on getting straight and even), side passing, bending and is quite versed in many arena figures. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My old coach always taught me, "Jumping is just dressage with obstacles in the way". My coach now also agrees with this. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So yes, I do agree with you in that EVERY rider should have a basic knowledge of dressage, but you must take into account that some hunter rides DO do this. It's just a matter of picking them out#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#. But I think this fallows in all disciplines, where you are going to have those riders who TRULY work at it, and those who just buy expensive push-button horses and pose there (don't worry, I've seen those too in the hunter ring). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In terms of QH's...I have riden lots of them, and although they are naturally built downhill, I've seen alot who can do wonders. For example, for a few season I showed this one quarter horse whom the judges loved -both english and western judges. I always placed well with him, and he could carry himself well in a nice frame. This was with my old coach, and all of her horses were well learned in western and english, including all disciplines that branch from each. You'd be suprised at the versatility of a QH.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Re: ...

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:55 pm

*Giddy Up* wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#. You'd be suprised at the versatility of a QH.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I must agree.  They are a very versatile breed.  My old trainer used to pick on me, calling my QH the "jack of all trades, master of none" because I would do the hunters mostly, but a few shows where I would do western just to mix it up a little.  He quickly stopped with that phrase when the "master of none" not only brought home numerous championships in hunters and western, but also got 3rd place year end in low hunters, beating the trainer and his horse who finished 6th #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//silly.gif"#ed_cl#. After that, I also stopped riding with him... hard to stay with a trainer who has such little faith. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Re: ...

Postby dressagenap » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:04 pm

*Giddy Up* wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So yes, I do agree with you in that EVERY rider should have a basic knowledge of dressage, but you must take into account that some hunter rides DO do this. It's just a matter of picking them out#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No worries - I do take that into account :)  However, I was only talking about #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#some#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# of my friends (fortunately, lol).  I do know people that show hunter/jumper but do dressage, too.  My coach, who also is the coach for most of the other leasers at our barn (probably all of the ones that lease non-schoolies, and therefore pretty much the only riders from our barn that show outside our own schooling shows), definitely wouldn't let anyone show O/F without knowing dressage.  Just today we were discussing showing and she mentioned that she wants everyone's first show of the season to be a dressage show.  In fact, no one at my barn rides strictly O/F; in the school, we have flat days every other day, and all of the leasers also at least do flatwork even if they don't do that much #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#dressage #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#[quote=*Giddy Up*]#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You'd be suprised at the versatility of a QH.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that it honestly depends on the horse.  I can't really remember a lot of the purebred quarter horses that I've known but the three currently at my barn all are schoolies that we got from a cowboy - they were bred to be western, lol.  One of them I don't really know, although he's still very green, one of them is the cold back one that we no longer have, and the third is the mare that I also don't really know that well but I think she can at least go round.  We also have several quarter horse #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#crosses #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#and most of them are amazing and very versatile.  Napoleon is clydesdale x quarter horse and he's very capable - maybe not all that great for the jumper ring, but I think he got at least reserve champion at both the dressage shows he went to last season and he's got a very nice jump.  While we're discussing hunter carriage, etc. though, maybe he is better off for jumper than hunter after all!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Brianna » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#6000bf#ed_cl#Every hunter coach I've ever ridden with insisted that I be able to do basic dressage movements - especially (but definitely not limited to) leg yielding. If you have a horse dodging out a little - or just not going straight for the center coming through a line of fences, a leg yield is the answer to your problems, lol. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#6000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#6000bf#ed_cl#'Course, if my mare had the patience for dressage (took us a loooong time to get patience with hunter & basic dressage flatwork, lol), I would do it - not even 6 months under saddle she gave me an absolutely stunning passage - my trainer was floored, jaw at her feet...wasn't what I asked for (I think I wanted a couple strides of shoulder in, don't remember), but gorgeous nonetheless, lol. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Brianna
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I forgot who mentioned this, but it was brought up about rhythm....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are three essentials before anything else can be considered, this mostly applies for overfences..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rhythm#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Track#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pace#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think about it. If you have one horse who jumps BEAUTIFULLY and another one just so so, but the one who jumps well is all over the place, can't keep a rythym, but the other one can, which one is going to pin? Not only that but it creates a more functional ride. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember that a hunter is the most suitable horse to be ridden out into the fields. A horse who can consistently keep a good rythym, (I can't spell, is that how rhythm is spelled?) pace and track throughout a hunter pace, or whatever, is a more desirable horse. Then, I'm going to worry about their bascule, and their knees. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Every rider should take a few dressage lessons or a clinic. Its amazing how much more functional you can make your mount. There are so many horses that can jump, but us hunter folk are aiming for the most "hassle-free" if you will horse. The one that swaps his leads, gets his distances, maintains a good pace. It takes good groundwork and good training for these great hunters to be great. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby EC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:31 pm

In the future, please only post images (and links to images) for critiquing if they are #ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#your own#ed_op#/span#ed_cl# of #ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#yourself #ed_op#/span#ed_cl#and #ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#your horse#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#. #ed_op#span style="font-weight: bold;"#ed_cl#Do not#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
post pictures of other people, even if you have their permission. If
they want to be critiqued, they can post their own image. I appreciate
everyone's understanding on this. 
EquestrianConnection.com - connecting equestrians everywhere
EC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Very true GS. That's actually something I was starting to work on with Zippy, was getting her to move forward in a nice hunter rhythm (one that got us to the fences in the right number of strides) without her taking off and running around like a yahoo#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/2.gif"#ed_cl#. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A very important point.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you EC- understood. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The above point made me think of a super fun excercise we used to do that I may use next week for some of my lesson kids... my old trainer (he did the jumpers) would set up poles on the ground, say 4 strides apart. He'd make us do it in 4, then 3, then 5, and if he was being  really tough, 2, then 6. It was a great way to learn how to "rate" your horse, especially going from really opening them up to really bringing them back.  Although I do just the hunters now, I think its still a valuable excercise.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby PerfectAngel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I definitely did that exercise a million times, and it IS good! I also did it with a line of jumps, but not very high, maybe 3'3. Has anyone done the "figure 8" exercise where you have a 5-stride line and you "figure 8" between the jumps? I wish I had a better way to describe it, but I'll have to draw a picture....and add it later...lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's a useful exercise for getting a horse straight to jumps and for practicing turns (before a tight rollback or something). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to add....sorry EC, my fault....now I know.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Embiem3 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just to clear something up, I am WSR, and was not trying to hide the fact(if I was, I wouldnt post pictures of my horse and I). I could not get into this account and my e-mails would not go through to EC, but thats all cleared up now, so this account is back and running.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup, I've done that exercise BB. Very good exercise for jumping, regardless if you do hunter or jumper. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper