What bit(s) do you use?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby Dee22 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I bought my horse (went to try her), her previous owners had her in a Pelham, she had a HARD mouth (scarring & calouses) and they thought she *needed* this bit, she didn't. She got the hard mouth from rough hands, so they kept bitting her up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I brought her home and even though I thought I could be possibly endangering my life (hee hee) put her in a loose ring snaffle.... She was FAST!! (and strong, and tense) BUT, I found if I just left her face alone and let her go around on a loose rein she was okay, tense and fast, but *okay*. After a month and she still wasn't relaxing I decided to ride her in a hackamore, I did this for three months and what a difference! That horse was AFRAID of a bit in her mouth, with the hackamore she was SO relaxed!! After a few months of the hackamore I put her in an Eggbutt French Link and she was MUCH better! She was a bit less relaxed than with the hackamore but the I knew the rest would just come with time and patience (and forgiving hands).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just last month I bought a german silver loose ring french link and Eja LOVES it! She is now completly relaxed with a bit in her mouth, she chews on it a little and actually searches for it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So... LOL, that's my story ;) German Silver loose ring french link, that is my bit of choice for my horse, at this moment :) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 am

I am using a D-ring, rather thick, and with copper inlay snaffle. My
boy has a sensitive mouth, and in the past a hackmore was used....so
I've been told. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
About a year ago I thought it was maybe too big for him...but then I realised, if it's not broke, don't fix it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I like the copper because it's supposed to cause them to salivate, and
is "easier" to accept. He seems to accept it quite well. Actually, he
mouths the bit a lot, especially when learning something new. I have
always loved the leverage of a snaffle.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I also really like to ride with just a halter too...I've done that lots of times and on most horses, it works quite well.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:36 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#depending on the horse, i use a loose ring snaffle, a french link, or a mullen mouth. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Happy mouth all the way, and I ride TBs and they never bolt or take off, crazy eh#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Postby Cheryl » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have 2 bits per horse.  Would be nice if they were the same size mouth but hey, can't have it all.  Their everyday bits are either a KK training bit or a plain myler d-ring.  Their step up bits for trails with a group of horses or other such things are a 2 ring elavator bit or a Mikmar.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I lift my margarita and drink a salute to Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit.
Cheryl

Postby Marley » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Embiem3, I continue to be amazed at how wonderful our horses listen to us with just a little piece of metal in their mouths.......................even as I get older, I am still amazed and in awe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway, I was using a high port Mylar with a curb chain and oh oh its late and I forget the word I wanted to use, the bridle goes into a fixed place as does the reins. My coach didnt like the way he would carry his head when I used it as he would tuck his chin and was over the bit too much so now I ride in a high port Myler copy with out the clips (reins are loose on the bit as is the cheek pieces ---not fixed).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do feel I dont have as much stopping power as I had before but his head carriage is so nice (hunterish) and even when I take a hold of the bit he wont tuck his chin anymore.................#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Susan#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Marley
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kaleena » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My TB mare used to go (when she wasn't retired) in a nice medium thickness hollow loose ring snaffle for dressage and stadium jumping, for cross-country I think I used a slightly thinner D-ring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My 3 year old greenie is currently going in a rubber coated D-ring. I like the D-ring on her because it helps with the stearing right now and she seems to like the rubber over a plain mouth. Eventually I'd like her to go in a simple loose ring or a french link, but we'll see what she likes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kaleena
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby cadence » Wed May 25, 2005 11:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried several bits (happy mouth, egg-butt snaffle, french snaffle, rubber mullen mouth, Moy) and now he settles and goes wonderfully in a snaffle-pelham.  He settled, seeks the bit, rounds up nicely, and nicely chews on it which relaxes his jaw.  Big change from being a tank and flinging his head around like a lunatic.  Some horses just choose their bits.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:02 pm

We just took Bo out of a copper d-ring snaffle and now he's in a french link (d-ring).
I'm a little baffled though, we're just starting him over fences and he gets a little excited...not FAST, (more tense, like he wants to buck and then run away) but I feel I need a slightly harsher bit over fences.
We also just took the flash off of him. I don't feel he really needs the flash on and I always feel in control, but as he learns to jump a course, he will definitely start to show me how powerful he is, so I feel like I need a bit that will give me more "power" over him (if that makes sense). Any suggestions?
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat May 28, 2005 5:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hev- You could try a kimberwick, where you are able to adjust where you attach the reins to the bit (the upper hole makes it like a regular snaffle, while the lower one gives it the curb affect). It's a bit (heh heh, that's a pun!) of a change, so I dont' know how you feel about that, but it's an option.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Hev339 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Thanks GU, I'm gonna look into that...do my research a little, and see if a Kimberwick would be right for Bo.
What I've found is that he has a REALLY sensitive mouth, but I'm afraid that if he gets strong while learning to jump, I will pull a little too hard and upset him, or ruin his sensitive mouth. Usually I'm great with my hands, but for some reason, with Bo I really worry about this. So I thought maybe a different bit to help control him would stop me from worry and get him to respond a little better. :D
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Mon May 30, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marley, I think the word your looking for in regards to the pieces on the bit to keep the reins in place is 'hooks' ?? I think its the same thing, you 'hook' your reins into these holes in the bit and it keeps your reins in place so that when you use your rein it turns the bit slightly and adds more pressure on the poll? #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#My Myler has hooks as well but you can also just attach the reins to this bit normally... that's what I always did :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Flyin' High » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ive used sooo many different types of bits!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol my old mare went in wither a pellham with curbchain, or a fullcheek full twist snaffel,,, but she was REALLY strong... my new guy was going in a rubber D  ring to start, right now hes in a loose ring snaffel, but im gonna get hin a french link cause i like the softness and the results better#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby iluvmypony » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My TB gelding has a few bits I mix up but mostly I ride him in a copper roller D-ring snaffle.  Lately o/f I've been using a kimberwick with the reins not in either of the holes but just on the D and it's working well. I like it 'cuz I can have a fairly loose rein but if he gets strong in the corner I can bump him with my outside rein to get his attention and then soften again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started my pony in an egg but snaffle but have recently purchansed a full cheek snaffle.  It's hard to find 4 3/4 " so I just buy them if I find them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
My user name used to be Applescruffs!
iluvmypony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby panzita0 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have two standardbreds my one boy has a weird mouth i went out and bought him a awesome snaffle that was real thick and a d ring and I figured he would love it and he tried to spit it out.. so i had to go with something smaller so it's a thiner one just so he's happy but it's ok because my hands are quiet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My second guy I just got a few weeks ago and I bought him a 5 buck snaffle from tcs which seems to work fine it's loose ring and it's not thin or thick it's just plain and boring but he doesn't seem to mind it LOL the other day he whinnied right as I was putting it in and then he got all surprised about it he's soooo funny!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the common "D" ring. Hes just started out, and I need something soft and easy, but still does the job. Hes going GREAT on it :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A horse gallops with his lungs,
Perseveres with his heart,
And wins with his character.
~Tesio
Solo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Littlegreymare » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I start all of them in a loose ring snaffle, one that's not too thin or thick (too thick just irrates them and too thin is too harsh).#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Depending on how they go I'll either leave them in that, or go to a rubber Dee.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I picked up a copper roller Dee for Jubie though and she loves it. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I prefer to stick with lighter bits like loose rings, rubber dee's, or egg-butts and save the kimberwick or pelham for hunting.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm a big fan of french link bits, as well as copper rollers. I am also a hackmore fan, which I know many ppl disapprove of, but I think that if you have light hands, it's a great "bit". esoecially for horses that can't deal with the bit, all they do is play with it....grrrr.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Littlegreymare » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Jubie's dam had issues with bits, she was very sensitive but also hyper. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#On a whim (I hated the look of hackamores), I bought an english hackamore and she loved it! What a different horse after that :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I'm not anxious to use one again, but I do believe some horses do need it more than others.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know of some horses that go great in hackmores! I think they're really helpful for trail horses if the riders like to let the horse graze as they go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There's a horse at my barn, who is even a school horse, that wears one because he has a bad tooth and doesn't like to be bitted. He goes great in it, and the school students ride him in the hackmore (although it's not like he does alot of hard work).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter/Jumper