What bit(s) do you use?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Re: What bit(s) do you use?

Postby jumpers4me » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:20 am

Addicted2Chestnuts wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AS it says above, what bit do use on ur horse(s) for schooling or showing??? Do u change bits often or always use the same?? Also why is the bit u use effective for your horse?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I use a fat hollowmouth loose ring snaffle all the time. It never changes. My horse loves it! I tried an eggbutt snaffle once but, he didnt like it really#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
Erica Moran & Last Call

check check CHECK IT OUT ericanbud.tripod.com
jumpers4me
Newbies
Newbies

Postby spotz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:43 am

Over my many years of riding I have aquired quite a selection of bits...both english & western.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I attended a Myler 3 day clinic & have become a convert....I swear by them!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I have totally switched ALL MY HORSES, & for the last 3yrs I have
ONLY ridden in Myler comfort snaffle bits.....I have several different
styles,(with & without the hooks & chain)& also different
cheeks...loosering, eggbutt, & deering....my horses all just seem
to go better in them...especially the older horses who have had bitting
issues...they go amazing in them!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cheryl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have one horse Spotz I would love to use a Myler on.  Except none of their bits are made larger than a 5.5".  This guy is monster mouth and takes a 6".  How would I know which one to have custom made for him?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby spotz » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:08 am

Cheryl...what do you ride him in now??  What's his level of
training?(young horse still learning, or trained horse who knows it)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The most popular comfort snaffles are the MB02, the MB04 low port
comfort snaffle, & the MB33 ported barrel..the first is better for
learning horses & the others are good for more trained
horses...especially those who don't like the bit to always be sitting
on their tongue, as the MB33 gives full tongue relief!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Bahr saddlery has a Myler bit rental program....& will mail you the
bit if you want.  I wonder what the biggest size is they have,
& if you could just try it to see if your horse likes the type of
mouthpiece you chose it might help you pick the right mouthpiece. 
Thats the most important with their bits...the right mouthpiece for the
horse...otherwise it's just another bit that didn't work for you as you
got the wrong type of bit!.  Myler bit sizes fit a bit big as well
& they DON'T PINCH the mouth!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cheryl » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a 5.5 " Myler plain snaffle for my other guy.  It is too small for this guy.  Even with using a figure 8 etc to suck in those fat lips he is still uncomfortable.  That is the largest they make.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Schooling level -  He is at what used to be a basic 4 in dressage (I think).  He can do his 10m circles.  Leg yields.  Working on canter-walk transitions etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Addicted2Chestnuts » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started this post soooo long ago and I never posted what i use lol!! Its great to hear what everyone uses, what they thinks about different bits and the wide variety out there!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Over the years Ive accumlated a wide varitey of a bit collection, english & western!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Currently Im using a 5" loose ring KK bit, which on him is just great. I need a bit that has lots of play to it as he gets bored with whats in his mouth and this bit does it. He gets the play of the bit and I still have control which is a plus!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other bits I have used on him are:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- full cheek training bit with copper keys#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Dee ring copper roller#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Eggbutt french-link#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Dee ring with Copper wire inlay#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#-etc etc#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#~E~#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Where ever my horse is, is where I will be~
Addicted2Chestnuts
Newbies
Newbies

Postby FlashieShine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#on my horse i just use a plain o ring snaffle. I have many bits including a rubber covered eggbutt snaffle, copper bits, few western bits and a pelham. the pelham was probably the most expensive one i bought and i rarely used it! now it just gathers dust. why are bits so expensive??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
FlashieShine
Newbies
Newbies

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper