Scared?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Scared?

Postby Terry3025 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wondering...are you ever scared when jumping?  I find that when I have a jumping lesson I'll get nervous before I'm on the horse and right before I actually jump.  When I'm jumping though, I'm not nervous....  Does anyone else have this same phobia???  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It also doesn't help that my horse is green at jumping too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby amadeo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, let's see. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had stopped jumping and had done nothing but flat work and hacking for three straight years. I got the opportunity to ride a phenomenal horse with loads of potential in the jumping field, and the guy who owned her wanted me to work her over fences. Only problem was, since I hadn't jumped in three years, and he was asking me to do four-foot-fences with a young (5 year old, but hadn't been ridden for a year due to pregnancy), green, rushing-to-the-fences mare, I lost a lot of confidence. I adore the horse, but she was a little too much.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So since then, I've had that nervousness getting on and starting out, BUT.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was lucky enough to ride this one mare (coincidentally a half-sister to the aforementioned mare, same age, too!) who had been a broodmare for the previous three years, and with one re-training lesson, she was good to go again. She was evenly paced at all the jumps, jumped well and clean, never refused, and eventually I got back to doing the four-foot-fences, and thus, my confidence was restored!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Until now! The mare's been off for the winter because she was bred again (for the last time, but she's being sold) so I've had absolutely nothing, and the fear's starting to come back. I'm working with a kid and "her" (owned by the barn, but he might as well be hers) pony, Bennie, and she wanted to jump, so I started working with him so he wouldn't be a total nut. He goes both ways, sometimes completely shattering my confidence and sometimes making me think that I could jump the moon. So I'm at a pretty weird place regarding nervousness right now..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I can say is, figure it out on your own time, and try to work with a horse who isn't going to rush you, and don't rush how high you jump, either. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses are life. The rest is just details.
<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/amadaii">Webshots Album</a>
amadeo
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Addicted2Chestnuts » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get nervous right before the first fence, im not sure why, but soon as we have landed im fine. Its really odd lol!! Also when during lessons, when my coach starts cranking up the jumps!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We all have fear, we just have to get over it and have fun!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Where ever my horse is, is where I will be~
Addicted2Chestnuts
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Lix » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was a fearless, bold jumper.&nbsp; Note: I #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#was#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#.&nbsp; *sigh*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got to be a chicken after riding a horse that was too much for me I think.&nbsp; I was a velcro-butt rider until I got on him and I too, was asked to do the 4 foot thing and one particular fall off of him shattered my confidence.&nbsp; I'm hard on myself, I think I'm the only one who sees myself as a failure but I'm really good at getting myself down when I do mistakes and honnestly, I think it's nothing but my&nbsp;own&nbsp;mind that has caused me to have a ridculous fear today.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hardly jump anymore but would love to start again.&nbsp; It's something that feels so familiar and that I did for so many years.&nbsp; I understand how it works, and what to do.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a matter of acually #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#doing #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#it, and I too feel tense and nervous.&nbsp; I'm aging and thinking of all the bad things that could happen.&nbsp; And Christopher Reeves will pop in my head.&nbsp; And bowing my horses tendons or something of the sort.&nbsp; It's just absolutely ridiculous what I think about when I jump.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;And when&nbsp;I do jump, I feel that I'm never 'in-sync' with my horse and jumping doensn't feel as 'flowing' as it did before.&nbsp; I really think most of it is in my head.&nbsp; Just a matter of getting over that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good topic though.&nbsp; Interested in hearing what others have to say.&nbsp; :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Brianna » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#6000bf#ed_cl#If you're feeling nervous before jumping, then you should to be jumping on a horse who is an old pro - who will jump no matter where you put him, etc. You have to be able to get that *I can jump the moon* feeling every time you jump to build your confidence up before you move to higher stuff or greener horses - unless of course the green horse is going to have that *jump no matter what* attitude too. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Brianna
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Azalee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For some reason, I get nervous about verticals with no filler.&nbsp; Like, there's just this pole in mid air.&nbsp; If there are flowers or barrels under it, that's okay.&nbsp; I just like more solid looking things.&nbsp; Maybe it's because I'm myopic and have an easier time focusing on solid objects.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Brianna.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would not jump a very green horse very high at all anyways, until it was developed and mentally ready. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get a bit nervous for showjumping though its weird... haha But I can go out and mess around with any cross-country fence no matter how high or big.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just have a but of phobia with horses knocking polls easy and getting caught up in them. I think I watch too much&nbsp;show jumping on tv&nbsp;hahahahaha... Though my horse always over jumps so I really shouldnt be worrying. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Promise. If you're nervous jumping you need to be on a horse that you know will jump anything you put in front of them from any kind of distance. You also need to remember to breathe. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know all about losing your confidence over fences. I got mine shattered in a big way a number of years ago. The school barn I was riding at liked to have the advanced students ride/train the young/green horses. I was riding a 5 year old air head thoroughbred and got dumped on the ground in every round of a jumper show at the exact same fence each time. After that I couldn't jump that mare to save my life. My coach put me on another horse that was totally reliable and I got along well with. We had a decent show season that year. I have spent a lot of years riding and schooling green horses in the show ring that weren't even mine and I basically had no hope in he$$ of placing. It hasn't really been until the past 2 years that my confidence has improved enough for me to venture out of the hunter ring and back into the jumper ring and it's all thanks to the horse I'm riding right now (the mare in my avatar). She's a field&nbsp;hunter that I'm showing in the schooling jumpers now. This mare is so rock steady that she will jump anything from any distance imaginable. She's even jumped a 3'6" vertical from a standstill. This is the best horse I've been mounted on in my 15+ years of riding. My mom has even gotten on and jumped this horse and she hasn't jumped in almost 10 years and within the first few crossrails she was perfectly comfortable and after a few rides she was back up to jumping a 2'6 - 2'9 vertical because my mare is so rock solid when it comes to jumping.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There's a quote from an old Disney movie called The HorseMasters that I like to keep in mind when I start to feel nervous jumping. It goes something like this...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Throw your heart over first and jump after it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've found that by doing this my nerves actually lessen as time goes by.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Marty_Jones » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:51 pm

#ed_op#LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="1199009278"#ed_cl##ed_op#/LABEL#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get a lil scared before I go xc due to an awful accident. But generally if I am nervous I talk to my horse or sing a song(quietly of course) Anything to keep my mind off of being scared. Now when I showed hunter I was never really scared cuz my horse wasnt ganna fall down a hill or get lost if I were to fall off as Im in a closed ring. So thats my way of staying calm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i used to be terrified of jumping...but then i started doing more of it and a great instructors really help too! lol, now i find that i get more and more excited and my adrenaline starts pumping whenever were jumping and the coach goes higheer and stuff! it's a lot a fun once i got used to it but i still get nervous if i see a HUGE jump...even if im not jumping it! they sort of indimidate me! lol the other time i get nervous is for the first fence of my hunter classes, because im always afraid that ill mess it up and the whole course will be awful, but after the first one im good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I too get kinda nervous- although it depends on the situation and height. If they're little x's no biggie, but when it starts to get bigger I get a little nervous. Although I have thad some bad experiences. It also depends on the horse and how the ride is going. If I know the horse is experienced and isn't going to refuse, I'm fine. However, the other way, I start thinking "what if the horse refuses, ect". Also, the ride has a factor. If the horse, even if it's green, is jumping awesome and really listening, I feel great. Just want to jump forever. If it's the opposite, then I again get nervous.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zippy's quite green over fences, and actually hadn't really jumped much at all before I started riding her, so she had to be taught how to jump properly- still working on it, although it's MUCH better. As I said, I've had some bad experiences so not all my experiences on Zippy have been good either. That's a big obstacle that we've had to overcome- both of our greeness and lack of confidence. However, my coach has helped me out ALOT and I"m getting SO much better. There are days when it goes bad, but there are days when Zippy is just jumping awesome and it reminds me of why I love to jump -that feeling of flying over the jumps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're nervous, take it slow. Don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable- even if it means sticking to small x's for months. Just because you don't jump high, doesn't mean you can't learn to be a good jumper. Remember to BREATHE! I find that really helps. Take a deep breath just as you turn to head towards a line. I also find this helps slow Zippy down (who likes to race around). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Stadium makes me nervous due to my mare i used to jump.... (still have her but she is retired) XC i have almost no fear!, i'm cautious but not fearful..... So now i have two horses that know their stuff over fences, mainly Picture, the older one, he knows his stuff... but i can tell you that if i want to put him over anything under 2'6" he gets a rather offended look and seems to say you think i should put the effort in for that!!!???? i haven't ridden him over anything yet, just let him free jump and on the lunge doing some real&nbsp; lil fences...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#once i get in the swing of jumping again i lose the fear!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm

I came from a 12-13 year hunter/jumper background where I wasn't afraid to jump anything and I had some MAJOR CRASHES that didn’t phase me. Over the last year I’ve had some confidence building to do after I stared eventing after taking 5 years off. It wasn’t the XC that made me nervous it was the stadium jumper..... after ONE bad ride.

The pro at my stable was filling in for my instructor and decided to do a jumper class with us. He put up 4+ foot course. I thought....OH MY GOSH!!!!!....the pro didn’t know this but it was actually my first jumper class since having been moved up to the head coach. I had only been riding at this barn for 4-5 months (after 5 years off!) and was only doing 2+ foot courses on a full proof horse with a different instructor.
The pro knew my background so he figured I could handle it....so much for starting off small and working your way up!

I was also riding an uncontrollable mare at the time who was pretty small. I guess I didn’t trust that this small horse could clear some of these fences. I didn’t trust this horse either from my experience working with her on the flat, which I stilled needed work on because I had been off for 5 years!

Anyways, I couldn’t get my timing and striding right, she refused a couple fences and I fell off once. This totally destroyed my confidence.
I’ve just started to get confidence back now that I am riding Jaz and Happy.
I’ve been jumping smaller fences and have been really focusing on timing and body position.

It’s funny how one small bump in the road can make us doubt ourselves.
Shoal

Postby Mystic » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another good piece of advice if you're nervous about jumping is to speak up. Your coach is there to help you and if you don't speak up and tell them what's going on in your head they can't help you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your nerve jumping and your jumping a green horse my advice get off now.&nbsp; If the horse feels you tense up going towards the fence when it is green it can develop bad habbits, EX refusing fences.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get someone who is comforatble jumping to train him over fence and get on an old schoolie who can teach you and you can gain confience in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Postby Marley » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes I do get nervous too. But that usually passes after the first fence. I mostly rode dressage with some hunter experience but that was on&nbsp; my small 15'2" anlo arab who was fiesty and would never refuse a jump. ALso I never jumped higher than 3'6" on&nbsp; her....................and I was young and foolish.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now being an old lady of almost 50 and now having a 16'2" big boned boy, things are different. He has a big jump (not high but long) so I am getting used to that. He is only 8 and we just began last July with a coach.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is fantastic though! We are only jumping small 2' fences, cross poles and verticals but he is concentrating on our approaches, landing and rythym. We are really working on having our horses jump quietly and calmly. We wont raise the&nbsp; fences till we get what we want.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have been working on these only at the trot all winter. Now we are introducing second fence down the long wall about 5 or 6 strides away (our indoor arena only allowed us a maximun of 3). I will trot over the first and then canter over the second.............we want our horses not to speed up but to remain at a nice canter..............almost jumping the second matter of factly because it was there....lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am in no rush as my goal is to ride a nice 2'-2'6" course at a quiet canter. Then maybe we willgo to 2'9" and maybe even 3'. My horse wont have a problem but I might....lol...fear. ALso my coach said that he feels if I was on a well schooled hunter I would have no problems but because the two of us are learning together....well its a bit harder.........but things are going great so I cant complain.................once I get over the first fence the stomach butterflies disappear.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Susan#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Marley
Groupie
Groupie

Postby JumpersPride » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get that ALL the time before shows. Not at home though. One thing that helps me is not focusing on the jump..but the horse. If your horse is green at jumping..forcus on her/him...not the jumps as much..and it will help ((for me anyways)) Good luck with your horse!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
♥♥~~//**\\Kristi3//**\\~~♥♥
JumpersPride
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pony Hunter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah I hate airy jumps.... I find them hard to get the right distances. In 2003 I had a AWESOME coach that helped me SO much. She was a excellent rider and was a very sucessful eventer.&nbsp;She &nbsp;was a phenomenal coach. She really helped my confidence over fences. Sadly she moved to the US. Now I dont get nervous about jumping #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby loki » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=5#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Actually i was nearly terrified of fences a little while ago because my pony used to stop and throw me off before fences and i would get really hurt so yes i have been scared. But how i got over it was just ride over small fences till you got comfortable and then work your way higher.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meg
loki

Return to Hunter/Jumper