working student

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

working student

Postby gorda valla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this is my first time on this forum and I need some help.  i have been asked to be a working student in a small "A" show barn.  can someone please tell me what to expect.  do i pay board?  do i get lessons?  what chores will i have to do?  any info would be great.  thanks for your advice!  #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
gorda valla
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Each barn/arrangement can be different.  Definitely speak with the trainer/owner as to what is expected of you and what they will offer you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some will offer free board for you to bring your horse and a small salary and/or room and board.  It is hard work BUT worth it as you will learn so much.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Teensy » Tue May 24, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was a girl from new york that came to work at the barn where i ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She didnt have to paid for her room and board, so she got all her meals fed to her. She was able to excerise and ride a bunch of horses, and a couple times got to show a couple of youngesters. She did normal chores like feeding a nd mucking out but also she did other chores like the keep up of the farm such as painting and taking care of the garden. However its true each barn is different.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#t#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Re: working student

Postby jumpers4me » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:34 am

gorda valla wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this is my first time on this forum and I need some help.  i have been asked to be a working student in a small "A" show barn.  can someone please tell me what to expect.  do i pay board?  do i get lessons?  what chores will i have to do?  any info would be great.  thanks for your advice!  #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#I was a working student for 5 years. If I were you I would GO FOR IT! it would be an awsome opportunity to work in an A circuit barn. I had to pay board but, I had free lessons. I rode and showed their hunter/jumpers for them as they rode dressage, mucked stalls, fed, excercised, grooming. Everyday kind of things that they dont have time to do themselves. Being a working student was one of the best experiences ever! BONUS* i purchased a green hanoverian from them (bud) and they took off $4000! and now i have my own "facility" but, my horse is back at their place for my lessons and they arent making me pay for board this time?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#Depending on the kind of relationship you form, your experience as a working student will change. In the barn i worked at it was all of us  basically that were just friends. We did everything together shows, lessons, WB futurities even partied together lol.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#most barns have their own ideas of working students so you should ask them what you will recieve. every place is different.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=4#ed_cl#hope this helps a little. if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Erica Moran & Last Call

check check CHECK IT OUT ericanbud.tripod.com
jumpers4me
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Teensy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#omg, that sounds great. i was thinking bout doing a working student sorta thing. what is the youngest they would accept? and also, the barn you went to sounds like a dream! Where did you go? Anyways, thanks for your help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#T#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Hunter/Jumper