taking a plunge back into h/j

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

taking a plunge back into h/j

Postby Kobau » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok all... please tell me i'm not a complete nutcase...........well you can tell me i'm crazy but could you do it in a very supportive manner?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am looking at going in a show this next weekend, there are only 2 flat classes, hunter under saddle and Show hack.. and then it is all hunter over fences the first dayand jumper the second....... I'm looking at just going the hunter day..But i'm sitting here going wow, i rarely jump, yes my horses has been jumping up to and higher than 4 ft... but i haven't gone over 3 ft since i did my english instructor testing......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Am i nuts for contemplating this? I mean i'd likely do just one or two hunter rounds, namely 2'3-2'6 and maybe the 3ft( both myself and my horse don't really get our acts together till close to 3');#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#*sigh the stuff you stress over when you are getting back to competeing.*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It sounds like your guy has been into it a lot more than you have lately in terms of jumping..I don't think you're nuts, I think you'll have fun and its a great way to get back into the swing of things! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck! :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Hev339 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:11 pm

I think all you can do is give it a shot. No way to find out if you really want to get into it unless you try, right? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Good luck. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I certainly dont think your nutes! Congrats for getting back into it.  I think it sounds like you have a good plan set - doing some lower stuff to break back into it.  Are you going alone or with an instructor/"eye from the ground"?  Even though I train, I prefer to have someone with me so that they can pick up on the things I do wrong/right that I may miss.  Maybe even have them videotape it so I can critique my ride later :)   GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#of course you're not nuts! I haven't jumped (really jumped, ie: over 2') for 2 years but this summer I am going to visit a friend who competes on the Provincial circuit (A circuit...in Ontario) and she has way too many horses to show so I am showing 1 of her hunters at 2 shows, and her classes are at 3'3" min. 3'6" max. I have jumped this before, many times, but not in 2 years, but I think it'll be fun! Plus she said it's no biggie if we don't win/place, so pressure's off! GO FOR IT!! At worst, you'll have fun!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well my eyes on the ground will likely be my mom( one parents always comes to my shows, they would both like to come but someone has to feed cows)and she knows me and Rubel well and can tell us what to fix, and i'll have another good friend on the ground also, she is taking another one of my horses just so he can see stuff...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the strangest part of all this is that i have no qualms getting back into it... and 3 ' almost feels small now( amazing what a horse can do for you) and that is why i'm questioning if i'm nuts!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are definitely not nuts. It sounds like you have complete confidence in your horse which makes a huge difference. I couldn't ride the jumpers for years due to a few really nasty falls quite a number of years ago. I got dumped off a young horse in the pony club jumper ring 3 times at one show (once a round) at the exact same spot. It's taken a lot of years and finally having the right horse to get me back into the jumper ring. Your horse sounds like the one I ride now. The best kind there is. A rock solid one. Good luck and let us know how it goes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think its great that you have so much confidence in you and your horse - that makes it sounds even less nuts! hehe.  I think you two will have much success with your positive additude!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kobau » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well it is actually complete confidence in 2 horses, Rubel is the one in my avatar, and it is him that i'll take to this show(weather permitting). But i also have Picture who is gaining weight and muscle really nice and is a pro at h/j, did it for about 10 yrs, and did really well in the 3'6 4' h/j, so knowing they know their stuff and i just have to ride properly makes a huge difference for me.. I got out of jumper due to a mare that was pyscho, or not really, she was bossy and fast, my job was to tell her what fence was next and then let her do the work.. i was to little and light to use my body effectively on her... now i can, but i'll never show her again... Rubel and Picture on the other hand are nice steady boys that will only get mad if i don't ride properly!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the support guys!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As long as you've been practicing for it, no you're not crazy. Maybe if you would have said something like "well I haven't jumped in 5 years and I think next weekend I'll jump 3'), but you seem very confident and sure- so go for it! Rubel looks like a great jumper from your avatar. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:39 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well i decided not to show this weekend, with fianls coming up i'd be crazy to let myself get focused on riding etc and theyn have to pull my focus back to school.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But means we get more schooling time which is always good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Hunter/Jumper