hunter position & muscles used

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

hunter position & muscles used

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Sooooo for all the hunter riders out there...Do you find that your abs get sore after a good ride? I've been trying my hand at riding like this (not very good tho) because i am trying to stay lighter on my horse's back. I am finding though that i am getting pain through my lower back, particularily on one side, and when I get off it is like I am seized solid. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Other/13.gif"#ed_cl# My ab muscles don't feel as if they have been worked at all. What am I (theoretically i guess) doing wrong? #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i dont know that you're doing anything wrong...you may just need to buils up some msucle in your abs... i know that mine used to be really week too but then we started doing barn chores on the weekends and i did pushups and situps before bed for a while and it's helped me  build up a lot of muscle and i dont find that anything like that happens to me anymore! i don't really know if you'd do that or anything just thought i'd say what i've done!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby Mystic » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP, the only thing I can think of is that you're using your back muscles to hold your seat lighter instead of using your abs. There is also the possibility that you are arching your back when trying to lighten your seat instead of keeping your back straight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Re: hunter position & muscles used

Postby *rickie* » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:31 am

Sodapoppers wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl# I am finding though that i am getting pain through my lower back, particularily on one side, #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If it's more on one side then the other...I'd have to guess (since I can't actually see you riding) that you are sitting crooked........But other than that Mystic is right...you're not using your abs enough....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#You know they say.....Good Abs = Good Back! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, if the pain is only to one side, then you are probably sitting crooked. Perhaps get someone to watch you from the ground to correct your position?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are talking about riding in a hunt seat, correct? If so, I don't think your back should hurt. Are you making sure that your back is still straight, and shoulds are back, even though they are tilted forward? I think alot of people have that problem at first- they throw their shoulders forward just because they are supposed sit in a hunt seat instead of still keeping a straight back. And with your seat, all you want to do is shift the weight to the front of your seat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But definitely a person on the ground could probably help best, since we cant see you riding on here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie and GU you are right...Cheryl watched me last night and I am twisting lol. The saddle needs to be re-fitted again as well because the pad is sliding from my twisting or Dream's or whoever's lol. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Hunter/Jumper