Zippered Field Boots

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Zippered Field Boots

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's gotten to the point where I need to buy new field boots as mine are slowly dying and I can finally afford to get a new pair thanks to my tax refund. It seems like all the field boots come with the zipper in the back these days and was wondering if anyone here has that kind. I'm used to the pull on/pull off kind so not really sure about the zipper in the back. For those of you who have the zippered boots, how are they? What are the pros and cons? How quickly can I expect them to break into my foot? I'm showing in just over 3 weeks, will they be broken in enough by then or should I show in my old boots for this show?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really like the new field boots with zippers, I find that it is easier to get a good fit. I have a large calf, but a small foot and I used to have to get 7 1/2 wide calf boots and they always had a big space at the top of the boot where my knee is, but with the zippers, I have more of a custom fit, so the gap is not as big. The only thing is, you had better get good ones, because the zipper has been known to "unzip" in the middle and then you have to get them replaced/fixed (often). The Ariat ones are good, the zippers are reliable. As for the breaking in part, I would suggest wearing your old ones until you are very comfy in the new ones, just to be sure....JMO. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would love to get the Ariats but I'm trying to make this money go as far as possible and I don't feel I'm riding enough to make the amount of money it costs to buy the Ariats worth it. I'm looking at getting either the Equi-Comfort field boot or the Cavalier field boot. I would get the same brand that I have right now but it's no longer available it seems and the store I got them from isn't around anymore.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Equi-comfort ones are really nice!! they are easy to "break in" and the zipper is good as far as I know. The Cavalier ones are NOT  easy to break in (in my experience) and I have no clue about the zippers.....of the 2 I would highly recommmend the Equi-Comfort#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks PA. I'm leaning towards the Equi-Comfort ones anyway, ever since I saw an ad for them in Horse Sport a few months ago. I called the manufacturer to find out where I could get them. They told me of 2 stores in my area. I called one store and they told me that they might have a pair or two but couldn't guarantee it and that they wouldn't order me a pair but would be more than happy to sell me the Cavalier zipper boot at a much cheaper price. I called the other store and they not only had them in stock but told me that they could order me a pair if they didn't have my size. They've even put 2 pairs aside for me to try on this weekend. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Foxie » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have Equi-comforts. I bought them at Repeat Rider. They were brand new and I got them for $90.00. They are nice but I haven't broken them in yet. The leathers a little stuff but who cares. I tried on the Ariat Challenge Zippered and Loved them but they were $500.00 + tax. I don't show that much so not really worth it. I would go ZIPPERED any day. So easy to get in and out of.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Hi Mystic:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I don't have field boots with the zippers, just the winter Mountain Horse riding boots with zippers....but just wanted to let you know what I know about the zippers.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Yes they can provide with a more "custom" like fit, and they are much nicer to get in and out of....basically it doens't take 3 people....or a boot jack, which I really like! But, the zippers can wear out, and break if you don't take really good care of them. Because the zippers are at the backs of the boots, and there are people who ride with their toes pointed straight out, obviously the zippers will get salt and sweat and other dirt stuck in them. If this doesn't get cleaned very often, and you keep zipping them up through that, they will deteriorate (sp?) much faster!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Also, the zipper only goes down so far, and some people find them hard to get started zipping up (at the base of your heel) Just as a warning, be careful each time you start zipping them up....if you take the little extra time so that it goes smoothly, and don't pull/force them up then they will last soo much longer! If you force them up, or pull on them alot, then you will end up with either a busted zipper or holes in the boots around the back of the ankle area.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#It sounds like you won't have too much of a problem with the zippers. You sound like someone that takes care of their stuff, and wants to get the most use out of it (I am as well....let me tell you!)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck to you getting a pair! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the tips Rickie. I used to ride in the manner in which you describe thanks to the way I was being taught to always push push push but I've been with a dressage coach for the past 4 years so my leg actually hangs naturally and I'm using the inside of my calf, not the back. I do also tend to take care of my stuff, especially my boots as I've had my current pair of field boots for about 10 years now. The only real reason I'm replacing them is because the stitching at the side of the toe is coming out and it can't be restitched (we tried this with my mother's pair that are going in exactly the same place) plus I've pulled out the boot tabs in both the boots more than once and needed them reattached and I'm just waiting for the inside of the left calf to get a hole in it the leather there is so thin. I'm coming into the world of zippered boots kicking and screaming because I've spent so long in my pull on Elite boots I'm concerned about the look of the zippered ones. I also don't know what they're like to try to break in at the ankle etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I LOVE the way new boots come with zippers! I'm looking for new boots myself since mine burned in the fire at the house...but anyway, another option to consider, which is the way I'm going - I'm getting regular boots and having a zipper put in.  I show a lot, so its worth the cost.... a friend of mine has the Ariats I want without the zipper, brand new they just dont fit her, so i'm going to buy them from her and have a zipper put in, and it will end up costing less than buying the ariat's I want with a zipper.  I think the zippers are great, hey look nice, and they're much easier.  My old boots were so hard to get off that I couldnt get them off unless someone else pulled them off.  I'm looking forward to the zippers!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My only concern with the zippers is how long they last and how I would get them replaced if necessary. It will be nice to not have to have my leg yanked out of it's socket to get my boots off on a hot summer's day after being in them at a show for the entire day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby *rickie* » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Mystic, my coach had her zippers replaced in her winter onces ( the ones like I have) because they broke, and it was a very easy process and it didn't even cost too much either. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#To make it sound even better, I'll tell ya that I come from a VERY small town...where there is only 1 (ok maybe 2, but one really sucks) shoe maker...and the good one refuses to do horsey stuff.......but still did her boots!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I'm sure that if the zipper did break it would be very simple to replace....it is after-all just a zipper!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck....I say if you find a pair that are within your budget and you like....gett'em! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Rickie, that's my plan. I've got $400 to get a new pair of boots and a new helmet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Pilgram » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i prefer the zippered feild boots over paddock boots with half chaps always get caught on the saddle always a pain have you tryed bahr saddlery they have some good sales and prices i dunno the website though but theyre in between milton and oakville i forgot the street name lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby Terry3025 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just recently bought a pair of the really expensive Ariat zippered boots.  I'm not sure if these  are the ones that you are talking about, but I love them so far.  The woman at Greenhawk was very helpful and made sure that they fit perfectly.  My one calf was bigger than the other, and I had to get the extra wide calf.  Eventhough I can fit into a regular sized leather boot.  I'm really enjoying them.  They have the arch support which I really need, and are so incredibly comfortable off the horse.  They will drop about 1/2 an inch.  I find that they put my leg so close to the horse, and they look so sexy!  LOL.  I will be doing both hunter and dressage in them and eventhough the price tag is high, they are worth the money.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Mystic » Sun May 01, 2005 5:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I didn't end up getting the Equi-Comfort Zippered Field boot afterall. I tried them on and they were okay. The guy offered to get me the 10 regular calf to compare against the 10 wide I tried on today. I said okay but it was going to take a week to get them which was fine. Needed a new helmet as well but didn't want to try to work my way through the quagmire that the store was to try to find a helmet so went to another store. This store carried Cavalier and Ariat boots only. Well couldn't afford the Ariat (even though I really like them, not really worth the $ given how much I ride each week) so decided to try the Cavalier boots on anyway. I put one on and I was sold. They were much softer leather than the Equi-Comfort. Also they didn't have the zipper in them. Even though the zipper makes them easier to get in and out of they just don't give the same tailored look in my opinion. Also the Cavalier were much better at the ankle. I could tell putting them on that they will take almost no time to break in. My ankles much preferred the Cavalier and I have one ankle that I have to wear a tensor brace on when in field boots thanks to a nasty sprain a number of years ago. All in all, much preferred the Cavalier. And even though everyone in the store looked at me like I was nuts for being happy that there was no zipper in them, I don't care because I prefer my boots without zippers.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed May 04, 2005 3:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya zippers can wear out but so do leather boots.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unless the zipper is really cheap you should be good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have equi-comfort boots with the zipper. Ive had them for over a year and they are good. I rode the hell out of them in the summer and they still look great enough to show in. No rubs on the ect... no bad stretching or anything... Which is another good thing about the zipper. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I only have a bit of stretching around the ankle from riding obviously.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Wed May 04, 2005 3:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I actually ended up with the Cavalier pull on field boots without the zipper. Rode in them for the first time last night and they're already breaking in at the ankle and the back of the knee. Also didn't notice too much leg sliding.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby *rickie* » Wed May 04, 2005 9:09 pm

#ed_op#font style="color: rgb(192, 128, 255);" size="4"#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#Mystic, one word of caution with your new boots,  Store them lying down, not standing up!!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#I have been told and witnessed what
happens is you store these kinds of boots up-right for a lenghtly
amount of time, the ankles as well as the area around the back upper
part of your heel (sorry hard to explain area, hope you understand)
will cave in and then they'll pinch you!!!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#This happened to my boots, and I had
to get them stretched out. Obviously not that big of a deal, but it was
when I was at a show and they rubbed me!! OUCH! but I had to grin and
bare it! I now always store them lying down, to prevent that from
happening again!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#Glad you like those boots....zippers
aren't everything, you have to go with what is best for you, and maybe
zippers just aren't for you! I don't think I'd want my next pair of
show boots to have zippers.........#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Thu May 05, 2005 7:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie, I've always stored my field boots standing up and haven't had an issue. I make sure that there are boot trees or rolled up newspapers inside them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby *rickie* » Thu May 05, 2005 8:13 am

Mystic wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie, I've always stored my field boots standing up and haven't had an issue. I make sure that there are boot trees or rolled up newspapers inside them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Ahh...a smart idea!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Next

Return to Hunter/Jumper