Any tips on getting my heels/legs just right?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Any tips on getting my heels/legs just right?

Postby panzita0 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello I've been working on this one a lonnnnnng time and I'm hoping someone has some tips to help me with it. My legs always seem to slide forward as well my heels pop up and when I push them down my leg slides more forward. Sometimes my left leg it a LOT more noticable than my right (it slides more) but sometimes they're both bad so any tips??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby weehaw » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 pm

i do the same thing!!! my heels just won't stay down (well they will but they like to be difficult about it!) and my legs go everywhere! especially when ic anter but i'm much better now. usually i make sure i can barely see the tip of my toe when i look down and i squeeze my legs to keep them in place. but of course it always helps when you have a coach constantly on your case about it!! lol
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Mystic » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My only advice is flat work. Lots and lots of flat work. I actually spent a year and a half doing straight dressage work as I didn't have a horse I could jump and that worked wonders for my entire position. It helped me turn my toes in so the inside of my calf is on, not the back. I'm also not constantly squeezing and my leg is much more stable when I do jump now and the mare I'm riding can easily jump 4'.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby panzita0 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yea I do a lot of flat work since my horse is young and is still learning to jump I'm taking jumping really slow with him he's still a bit shakey going over trot poles so ya right now it's basically all flat work. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *rickie* » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Do alot of 2-point work. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#It sounds like you're getting into a chair seat kind of position and then can't get out of it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Think about opening your hip angle, (the angle that your tigh makes when it hits your hips, looking at your from the side) try to ellongate that. Also open your hips up a bit and sit up a bit more. That will help you too.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Another thing would be to push your knees down. It sounds like you're concentrating on your heels more than anything, but they are only one part of your whole leg. If you can get your knees to push down a little bit more, then you're leg will stay under you, which will even make you feel more secure.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I hope this has been helpful, it is really hard to explain without being able to point and move the rider around.......but all in all...do some work in 2-point, and this stuff WILL come. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Oh....a good exercise I just remembered! Go into 2-point and stay there, letting all your weight push your heels down to the ground (don't force anything...just let it happen...it will once you start to get sick of staying in 2-point#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"#ed_cl#) and stretch the back of your calves. Now think about relaxing your knees so they hang looser. Ok, now remember that feeling.....remember what it feels like, where each part of your body is. Now just sit up.....don't change ANYTHING that you just did, just sit up in the tack....nothing should change, you should have the same feeling as you did before. Do this at a walk at first, and then gradually move up to a trot. It will really help your position, expecially with your leg. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck to you! It's not easy! Oh and feel free to ask any questions! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Embiem3 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had the same problem. three things I did to fix it are ...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#UL#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#Lengthen you stirrups so they are hitting right at your heel bone thing#ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#Tie my stirrups to the girth ( use a piece of bailing twine, tie it around the stirrup iron and around the girth, make sure you can still move the iron about a hands width away from the horse)#ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#Ride with no stirrups for 80% of your ride#ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#/UL#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby Pilgram » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#theres one excersize i was taught use anything with an edge e.g( stairs,curbs ) it puts muscle where you need it ok here it is....place the ball of your foot (by ur toes) flat on the edge of the stairs and lift up and down with your own body weight it works wonder stops you from flopping all over the saddle and slipping out of the sturrups thats all i know#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BORN TO RIDE--FORCED TO WORK
When riding you borrow freedom!
Live well,Laugh lots,Ride often.
**Apples are so over-rated~ A Horse I know**
Pilgram

Postby panzita0 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks everyone, I found the person with the purple typing very helpful! (sorry didn't look at the name before I replied)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been doing a lot of different exersized to get my legs in the right spot. Today I was riding my friends mare (a crazy 6 year old tb clyde who is totally crazy and sooooo cool) and she was behind really lazy which is like weird for her because usually she tries to run away with me cause she's jsut like that. Yea but I stood up in the strurrips and put the weight in my heels while she trotted around and then I sat her trot which is also something I'm not very good at but with her it's really easy because she's mooooooooth and ya I sat it and she kept breaking so I don't know I think she was trying to teach me how to ride lol sounds weird but I seriously think she was trying. Once I mastered keeping my legs steedy and on her the whole time ( I have a habit of just letting my lower leg hang and only touching the horse when I need them to go forward which is bad on my part) she starting to give me power (I mean power as in she went onto her haunches and really started trying and had great pace and everything). It was awesome! So I'm going to tell her owner about that and maybe she'll let me exersize her more often because it was a blast and I think my position improved a lot more than when I ride my own horse. He dosen't mind if I get lazy and let my legs flop around he still goes forward and bends and stuff thoguh he doesn't have half as much power as she does (behind a clyde cross and all that). Yea so that was good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Rio Roulette » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Two quick points:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Many saddles are designed (incorrectly) with the stirrup bar placed too far forward which puts (mostly women because of how we are built) into a chair seat to start with. If the saddle won't let you get an alignment of your heel-hip-shoulder then it will be more difficult to keep your leg underneath you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't think of pushing down with your heel. This will cause your leg to try and straighten, and when it does, it shoots out in front of you and causes your hips to close and tighten. When your leg is too far forward your backside shoots out behind you and then you lean too far forward to compensate. Instead, think of raising your toe. The concept of "kneeling" is a very good one too, excellent in fact. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dee22 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:18 am

panzita0 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a habit of just letting my lower leg hang and only touching the horse when I need them to go forward which is bad on my part) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi Panzita :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You've received some great advice and excersizes to try out :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just wanted to mention one thing though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try to remember that your leg doesn't need to be on ALL the time. Your should have a steady, quiet leg that 'hangs' (not flops though) at your horses side and only apply your leg when you need it. If your leg is constantly 'on' you run the risk of making your horse dead to your leg and working a LOT harder than you have to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think of it as a kick sled: You push until you gain momentum and than stop pushing until you need to again. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby panzita0 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yea I know what you mean but my lowre leg shouldn't be 2 inches away from the horse it should be steedy and in contact with the horse. But ya I got what you'r saying, you shouldn't have to be after the hrose for every stride. With my horse thats what I do (hardly ever touch him) and then I ride other horses and I'm like wow, different...lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun May 01, 2005 9:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, keep your leg against your horse. You don't have to squeeze, but just keep it there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you try to push your heels down too far, your legs will shoot forward. The idea of pushing down your knees is a good idea. Think of pushing them down and back. Don't think about forcing your heels down, but think about letting all the weight sink down into your heels (good to do 2-point here).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It will take time, but with repetition you'll get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun May 01, 2005 10:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of focusing on heel down, try thinking about lifting your toe up. Something i learned this past weekend is that often people worry about getting their heel down and end up forcing it and just bracing and in turn tensing their whole body up. Once you are tense you are going to really bounce around and your leg dosnt have a hope of staying in place ;) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon May 02, 2005 8:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another  important point I'd like to bring up is to make sure that you're not pinching with your knee.  Often,  I see riders trying to hold with their knee to get more balance, and in holding with the knee, your hip angle closes, and your lower leg becomes quite weak.  This would also explain why you feel your leg is worse at the canter.  Make sure that you're turning your knee away from the saddle by opening your hips.  Keep in mind that this will benefit your horse as well, since pinching with your knees will hit against their shoulder and restrict their movement. Once you've done this,  2-point (or half-seat) as many people mentioned will help get your heel down and your leg in he correct position, as it is virtually impossible to be correctly in 2-point and have your leg in front of you.  Make sure you have a correctly fitting saddle for your body type, too, as a saddle that doesnt fit correctly (too small) may cause your kness to hang over the flap, which would mess up your leg position.  Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue May 03, 2005 9:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's an interesting way to think of it SP. I've never heard of that analogy before.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Wed May 04, 2005 9:00 pm

#ed_op#font style="font-family: times new roman; color: rgb(3, 61, 61);" size="4"#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA wrote:#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#div#ed_cl##ed_op#font style="color: rgb(192, 128, 255);" size="4"#ed_cl##ed_op#span style="font-family: times new roman; color: rgb(3, 61, 61);"#ed_cl# 
Make sure that you're turning your knee away from the saddle by opening
your hips.  Keep in mind that this will benefit your horse as
well, since pinching with your knees will hit against their shoulder
and restrict their movement.
#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#BarnBrat, correct me if I'm wrong,
but turning your knee out will cause you to turn your toes out will it
not?? But then there's the question as to shoudl your toes be out or in!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#I have always been taught to have your knee on the saddle, as well as your thigh, and that your toe should be pointed forward.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#You are dead on about the knee
pinching though, I agree 100%, I acutally can't remember the last time
I saw a rider NOT pinching with their knees (well a rider that wasn't
coached by my coach that is). It is a horrible habit to have, and a
tough one to break, as you can pinch in 2 different fashions: 1, being
pinching your knee up towards your chest (also causing your to lean
forward), and 2, being pinching your knees together through the horse.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#There are a million different
exercises that you can do to help your position, but the best thing is
to have a good coach (who is VERY picky about position) come out and
help you identify your problem area and explain to you how to fix them.
#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: tahoma;"#ed_cl#Best of Luck, and if you have any more questions, we're all here to help!#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#

#ed_op#/div#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed May 04, 2005 10:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie, you both are right. There's sort of a happy medium with it. You don't want your knees stuck to the horse and pinching, but you dont' want them sticking out, you want them facing forward.. I ride toes out and my knees don't stick out either#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~BreezieStorm~ » Thu May 05, 2005 2:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#two things i find great for helping train your leg back is if you buy green painters tape ( its not as sticky as the rest) and make it into a loop and get someone to stick it and your leg where its suppose to be.  That way when you leg goes forward you will hear the tape and be able to correct it and think about what your doing at that time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the other is a strip of paper between your leg and the horse you have to keep your leg on to keep the paper there when you drop it think about what doing and why it dropped and what you can do it fix it#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~BreezieStorm~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby panzita0 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#kool idea i might jsut do that!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu May 05, 2005 9:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yes, the paper game! I almost forgot about that one. My coach used to do that to me and my fellow lesson buddies. We did it with our legs and bottom. Once, I think it was Halloween, she put packets of candy between our legs and the saddle. If we wanted to eat our candy we had to keep it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Hunter/Jumper