I need showing tips

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

I need showing tips

Postby panzita0 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What's the difference between showing equitation and showing hunter on flat? I know the basics but any tips would be great, like do we have to have a good pace? What do we loose marks for what do we gain for??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mystic » Wed May 04, 2005 7:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Equitation is juding the rider, hunter under saddle is judging the horse. Hunter under saddle will be ridden in a more forward seat with nice swinging gaits. You should ride your canter in half seat and trot is done rising. For equitation they are judging you. You should sit up a little straighter and not ride in half seat. They can ask for sitting trot as well as extension and collection within each gate. Also for equitation, your horse should be in a slightly tighter frame than in hunter under saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed May 04, 2005 12:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think Mystic covered the basics without you asking a more specific question...yes, a nice consistant pace will help you in both hunters and equitation.  Remember in eq that just b/c it judges you doesnt mean you can just let your horse go. They are looking for a horse to go nicely and collected, showing the riders skill, not that a rider can just sit on a horse and pose. Same goes for hunters - you should still ride correctly even though it judges the horse. It makes a better picture.   What kind of showing have you done? IF you ask some more specific questions it may be easier for us to help you out :) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed May 04, 2005 10:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe Mystic has covered most of it, but yes, if you ask some more specific questions then we can be more specific with our answers.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just to add, in hunter they want to see a horse with a straight topline, slightly flexed at the poll, moving with a looser rein- nice and relaxed and flowing. You can still ride a hunt seat at the rising trot. Keep it for the walk as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Equitation you they want your position- thumbs up, shoulders back, leg underneat you, heels down, ect- all that fun stuff. Some shows will have a pattern to be ridden for equitation. (I never have really understood why they put at pattern, because you were judge on how well your horse did the pattern, which doesn't quite makes sense to me, but who knows). The pattern ranges in difficulty and they want to see your position, as well as the effectiveness of it and how your horse moves from your position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Thu May 05, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Giddy up, they use the pattern to determine who is actually riding their horse effectively and who is just simply a passenger on a made horse because the horse knows the classes and does what is expected of them without any real input from the rider.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu May 05, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe, I agree Mystic.  No matter what level you show at, there's bound to be a couple of riders who are simply plopped on a nice "made" horse, and all they have to do is sit there and look pretty and go around the ring.  When perfoming a harder task than just going around in circles, these riders are easy to tell apart from riders that are actually working hard.  Keep that in mind while riding an eq class - judges are looking for a RIDER, not just someone who looks good on a horse #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#.  So ride #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#effectively#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#.  Present a pretty picture of both horse and rider.  Which reminds me, as a trainer I never allow my riders to go into the ring looking sloppy.  Even the best of rides looks less perfect when the rider and horse arent presented properly! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby panzita0 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for the tips i think you covered most of my riding worries but what do i wear? I have tall rubber boots but no stock tie, do i NEED to wear a stock tie? help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu May 05, 2005 9:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, you don't actually need a stock tie, and they have started to go out of fashion (because of fashion, and safety- the pin could prick you if you fall off), but generally people wear the monogrammed collers if not. However, you could wear your plain coller.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wear tall boots, clean breeches (a light colour), jacket, show shirt, coller (with stock pin), helmet, and gloves. Alot of judges also like people to wear a belt, but I don't. Make sure everything is clean, and your hair is pulled back neatly. I cannot fit my hair under my helmet, so it is put into a bun and then put into one of those hair nets that attaches to the bow barrette.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Fri May 06, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Giddy Up covered the clothing pretty well just remember to drop your crop before going in for the flat classes. Also your horse should have nice clean tack, his coat should be spotless, you should have a nice shaped saddle pad (no square pads) and no boots or polos on your horse. Also if your horse goes in a standing martingale this should be removed for the flat classes.. Breast plates are allowed but the attachment should be removed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby panzita0 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#drop the crop before you enter? I never heard that one but thankyou. I don't have a shaped saddle pad but I guess that's something I"ll have to go get. Does colour matter? Oh and what's a stock pin? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mystic » Fri May 06, 2005 8:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to drop your crop before entering any flat class. It's not really a written rule I don't think but carrying a crop is frowned upon by the judges as it gives the impression that you aren't really in control of the ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your saddle pad should be a white sheepskin type shaped saddle pad. They're available in any tack store. Tell the staff you're showing hunter/equitation and need a saddle pad and they'll be able to help you. Here's a link to what you're looking for #ed_op#A href="http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-RIE3508.html?L+scstore+htbd5657ffff44ff+1115457721"#ed_cl#http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-RIE3508.html?L+scstore+htbd5657ffff44ff+1115457721#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A stock pin is a long thin pin that attaches to the collar of your show blouse. It's used instead of a monogram. They're available at any tack store as well. Here's some examples of stock pins #ed_op#A href="http://www.eurosaddlery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=11"#ed_cl#http://www.eurosaddlery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=11#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby panzita0 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok thankyou so much!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun May 08, 2005 7:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mystic- I too have never heard of dropping your crop. I have ridden with crops before in flat classes and it's never been a problem. If your horse needs urging, then it needs urging. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can wear a standing martingale in flat as well. Standings are allowed for hunter, just not running.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although, it really all comes down to a judge. I was in one show where the judge didn't allow brestplates- although they usually are allowed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In these cases, the best thing is to look at the brouchure or website of the particular show because they will tell you what is and isnt' appropriate (some shows like braiding and require jackets, some shows let you wear chaps).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Sun May 08, 2005 8:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU, most of the schooling shows I've been to go by CEF rules which state the following  in regards to martingales...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Martingales: optional except in Hunter Hack and Hunter Under Saddle Classes in which they are not permissible"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also in regards to the crop, if you need to go to your crop in the flat class to encourage your horse forward, you've pretty much already lost the class. If your horse needs encouragement on the flat you should consider wearing spurs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And just so you know I'm speaking from experience with numerous years of showing at schooling shows, 1 year of showing Trillium hunter and 5 years worth of grooming for 2 horses both showing in the hunters on the Trillium circuit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun May 08, 2005 8:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fair enough. I have ridden with standings on, but I'll accept that.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok yes, I'll agree spurs are better for in the ring opposed to a crop being used constantly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Hunter/Jumper