Awesome Show and Mini Vent

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Awesome Show and Mini Vent

Postby Mystic » Mon May 23, 2005 8:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Took my girl to the schooling show at The Pickering Horse Centre yesterday in the Novice Jumper Division and she was totally awesome. We got a second in both our jump offs and a third in our speed class. We ended up tying for Division Champion but lost on the coin toss so we took Reserve Champion. I couldn't be prouder of my girl since this is only her 4th jumping show and only her 2nd time in the jumpers. The courses looked easier than they were and most people got fooled in the first class thinking they could use all the extra room at one end of the arena only to discover that they finished with time faults.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#***Vent Time***#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is it with some people?? My old coach was at the show yesterday with riders like she always is. When I left that barn, I left on good terms, or at least I thought I left on good terms at any rate. Well last year she refused to talk to me at any of the shows, #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#except#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# when I rode past her in my hunter under saddle class at the very first show then she spent the remaining shows completely ignoring me. Yesterday she ignored me the entire morning until I was riding past her on my way into the warm up ring. I knew what she was trying to do so I simply ignored her as I was focusing on my horse who is not by any means an easy ride, especially at shows. She got really ticked when I didn't answer her and spent the entire division trying to out do me in the ring. What seemed to tick her off the most was that I had the nerve to tie her rider for Champion, which meant her rider didn't win it outright like she thought she should have with her 2 1st place ribbons. What exactly is she teaching her riders when she treats others like dirt? Especially former students? My mom thinks part of the problem is that we left the barn and our riding has improved, not worsened which is what seems to happen to most riders who leave that barn.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Patricia » Mon May 23, 2005 8:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hold your head high!  You should be proud of your achievements...especially more so with a difficult horse.  You sound bigger than that.  I know once the show was over and I was off my horse....I would have gone over to talk to her....I would have said hey I am so focused when I ride/show and can't speak.  I THOUGHT I left on good terms...what is up with the silent treatment?  Put her on the spot and FORCE her to speak.  I'd be telling her she sets a nice example for her students.  Maybe have another person standing there like your mom....She doesn't sound to professional........Sounds like your move was justified...don't look back....Congrats on a great show!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Mystic » Mon May 23, 2005 8:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Patricia. I didn't say anything because I didn't feel like sinking to her level. I got satisfaction out of knowing that I tied her rider for champion. And like my mom said, my ribbons (2nd, 3rd, 2nd) show consistency on the part of my horse and my riding, unlike the other rider. My mom said that if the coach had said anything later on that she would have just told her that I probably didn't even hear her because when I focus I go into a complete bubble, focused solely on my horse and only aware of my surroundings enough to not run into anyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I couldn't be happier with my mare and that's the most important thing for me. She was spectacular and answered every question asked of her even when she was tired and was forced to wait at the ingate longer than she should have. Out of about 60 fences she only touched 1 and it never hit the ground. She even did a difficult turn in our last jump off that only 1 other rider attempted. What more could I ask of my girl. She gave her heart for me yesterday and proved that she has what it takes to win in the jumpers. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Azalee » Mon May 23, 2005 9:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Mystic, glad you had a great show.  Congratulations!! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl# I also agree with Patricia.  Don't let your old coach bother you.  You've come too far to have to worry about that.  It's just wonderful to know how well you and your girl did!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry I didn't see your trips!  I think you were in the ring the same time I was.  We arrived later than expected...had a little trouble loading.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl# (Loading going home was a snap though, lol)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for our division, well, it was interesting.  I was glad because Az didn't have any "mare moments" and looked quite happy and curious to look around.  However, she did have "TB moments".  Plus, I was incredibly tense.  Unfortunately, the TB moments got us excused in the second class but everyone was very kind to us.  Since it was our first time out, I'm just glad we lived through it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Mystic » Mon May 23, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Az, don't worry about it. We saw your trailer there when we arrived but it was empty. I saw it leave which is probably when it went to get you. Yeah the Hack was going at the same time as my division. Glad to hear your girl was good. I know all about TB moments. Watched my mom have to deal with them enough times in the Trillium Hacks. She was excused/pulled out a number of times because her mare lost it. Her horse was very unpredictable in her reactions at shows. One year she was good as gold, coming home as reserve champion from one show and completely lost it at the next show, nearly going over the judge in the process and this was at the same show grounds 2 weeks after the first show.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And as for my old coach getting to me, it's pretty difficult to do now. I've gotten to the point where the only person I really hear at shows is my mom who's there as my coach/ground person. Plus I have the satisfaction of knowing that my old coach wouldn't stand a chance on my girl, nor would any of her riders. I know the way this coach thinks and the only reason her riders were even in that division is because she knows they won't stand a chance in the 2'6 hunters. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and Az, check out this site later in the week. #ed_op#A href="http://www.caughtinmotion.com"#ed_cl#www.caughtinmotion.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# They were taking pictures of all the rings. You might find some pics of you and your girl there. When I find some of me and my girl I'll let you know where to look.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Azalee » Mon May 23, 2005 10:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gosh, I hope my photos don't make it to that site.  LOL From what I've seen from my parents' photos...well, I don't even recognize myself as a rider.  This is the only photo I've deemed worthy of public viewing, haha:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P align=center#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.seahorselagoon.com/meazlee.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P align=left#ed_cl#Can't wait to see your photos, though!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P align=left#ed_cl#Anyhow, keep it up!  It's excellent that you've moved on and can focus on the task at hand.  I really need to learn to do that myself.  I think I might just enter some walk/trot classes at local shows to get my girl (ok, ME) used to the hubbub.  Our problem really is me.  I need to loosen up...A LOT! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
Azalee

Postby Mystic » Mon May 23, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Az, I've always had a problem with the first fence on any course but most especially the jumper courses but I've discovered the way to fix this. On my approach to the first fence I have to actually tell myself out loud to "BREATHE". This way I actually let out the breath I was holding without even knowing it and I find that both I and my horse both relax. So just keep telling yourself to Breathe and you'll find you relax a lot better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue May 24, 2005 8:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Congrats on the good show Mystic!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for your coach, I would just ignore it. If you see her at another show and are on the ground, you can always sweetly say hi, then let that be that. I am sure it is a factor of jealousy, and if so, then you just ignore it and let you and your horse show her where she should stand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Az- Don't worry, it will all come. The best thing is to just go to a bunch of shows and do lots of flat classes where you feel comfortable, and work your way up. It will come. Mystics advice of breathing is very good. I do that myself, actually. I don't talk, but after every turn the fence, as soon as I am straight on to the line I take a deep breath. I find it relaxes both me and horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Azalee » Sat May 28, 2005 9:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU - flat classes it is.  We were doing the hack division.  Made it through the pleasure hack and then were called in during the show hack.  Oopsie.  I think next time I'll go to the show just to try the warm-up ring and relax in there without having to rush to a class.  Also get a chance to hack around the grounds.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mystic - the photos are up on the site.  There were a couple I thought could be you, but wasn't sure.  A lot of great shots, there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The little dappled palomino pony in the crossrails boards at the same barn at me.  So cute you could eat her.  Hehe.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat May 28, 2005 5:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's always a good plan Az. Then both you and your horse can see it's no big deal.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby spotz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:47 am

Way to go Mystic!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Sounds like a great day for both of you!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
As for your old coach...well there are alot of those!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
BUT....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
By ignoring her you did stoop to her level so to speak as that is what she's doing to you!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Next time though you should be really friendly to her & talk to
her....sickeningly polite...she won't expect it!!  I am sure that
if you are over nice to her, friendly, outgoing, say hello & wish
her luck, it will just drive her crazy as she is trying to get to you,
& by you being overly nice, it will show her that she doesn't
bother you & she means nothing to you!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
People like that want to get to you by doing such childish stupid
things, & by you doing the opposite & showing she has no effect
on you, you will be getting to them!!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
This was YOUR DAY.....enjoy!!  There are too many people like that to bother worrying & wasting your time on them!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You have moved on & done well....that speaks for itself!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Get Spotted In A Crowd...Ride An Appaloosa!"
"I'M HOT 4 SPOTZ"
My Patty!
spotz
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby pmc » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well done, Mystic, and a big "pthththththth" to your old coach. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pmc
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys, the old coach was at the show at PHC in June as well but didn't bother trying to talk to me at all and I know for a fact that she won't be at Blue Star this weekend#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Return to Hunter/Jumper