Any good idea?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Any good idea?

Postby lokukac » Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hm, I need some good ideas, since I am coaching myself, and now I stuck a bit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jumping a combination: my mare jumps huge, and where a normal horse would make a stride in the combination, she does not have room for that. Poor girl is just too big.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So how would you shorten the first jump to fit in the combination?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At the jumper shows (3.3-4') what is the distance in the combinations? (1? 2? 3? strides?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you for the thoughts#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mystic » Tue May 24, 2005 7:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The distances between jumps in any combination varies depending on the course designer, whether it's 1, 2 or 3 strides. I rode a combination on the weekend that was a 1 stride to a 3 stride. All striding is based on the standard 12' stride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My suggestion would be to work on getting your horse to back off slightly and get them in to the first fence a little deeper so that when they land they are landing closer to the first fence which will give room to fit the striding in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby lokukac » Tue May 24, 2005 5:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you Mystic, I will try.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also I am thinking about poles on ground before the first jump to shorten her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, this is a quite nice challenge!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Tue May 24, 2005 6:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#me and my coach just did an exercise on shortening last friday!: D so she set up this outside line so my pony could fit a four, and then she was like, ok now do, five, ok now do six, and then we had a little competition! it was fun, but we just cantered around once then going down one long side you lengthen and then as you hit the corner you slowly start to shorten them getting them ready for the line. i dont know if that helps, but its an exercise that worked for me!lol hope it helps you some.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Tue May 24, 2005 6:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sry! forgot to say that they were  ittsy bittsy jumps like a foot maybe, but it was all about the strides so the height doesnt really matter at that point!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby Pony Hunter » Tue May 24, 2005 6:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#a94a76#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah Pony Luver Ive done that too in a lesson its so much  fun! Once we even did that with a full course.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue May 24, 2005 8:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The stride adjusting exercise is a good one. I've done that before. You can also alternate between adding and taking away strides, it really gets your horse listening to you. You can do it with jumps, or even just ground poles (the ground poles are good because you can knock them around all you want without worrying about your horse tripping over a fence or something).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lokukac » Wed May 25, 2005 9:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tomorrow is the day to try! I did set the jumps this evening for tomorrow.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//devious.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby lokukac » Thu May 26, 2005 5:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, so we did a line with one pole on ground, then one at 2 feet, then ground again, then one on 2 feet. All together four. They were set 3.5 m (12 feet).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I went into this line in trot, and WE DID IT!!! The horse felt the rythm of the line, and we mastered the task!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I just have to slowly raise the heights on the poles in the air. Will work!#ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cool.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cool.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the thoughts!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ec-thumbup.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Hunter/Jumper