Saddles?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Saddles?

Postby Kobau » Tue May 24, 2005 1:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, well i'm going to have to look for a different saddle. I have an ancient Stubben A/P, and while it is a saddle i used to love.. it is a 17" seat(measured it again last night to be sure) and i need a min 17.5... i barely get away with that (i measured my dressage saddles to double check since they both say they are 17.5 from factory. My Sommer is 17.5 but the Passier measures bigger, 18 actually) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, what are some brands that have good reps that i should be looking for? what saddles do you guy s have good or bad experiences with? I like saddles that at least look like leather, and i need one that is a wide tree for my dear boy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And then also, i'm getting the stubben i have now restuffed soon hopefully, now what would you market an old ( i have no real idea of age, it is likely about 20) Stubben a/p saddle, that has had some repairs( wore through the bottom edge of the flaps and had them reinforced) but has a ton of life left in it for? I got the saddle second hand and it has done me well for well over 10 years... kinda hate to part with it, but no use keeping when it isn't right for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any info appreciated.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Tue May 24, 2005 1:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Kobau!  I have a Courbette Alina (it's a close contact).  It's a very nice saddle, not the cheapest and not the most expensive kind.  Sort of middle range but I got mine used on the EC classifieds.  It looks like so:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.championsaddlery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/s207spalpinabrown.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it's versatile, good quality and I really like it.  The only thing I'm a little disapointed with (and this maybe cause it's not exactly the right size for me) is that my lower leg always looks too forward.  (see the Meeka and me pictures in the photo gallery).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck saddle hunting!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Mystic » Tue May 24, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Crosby flat saddle and I mean FLAT saddle. There is absolutely nothing holding you in but that's fine cause I have a tendency to jump ahead in a saddle that has a higher pommel. I did put pencil knee rolls on it a few years ago when I started going over 3' for my own piece of mind but other than that there is nothing really holding me in. This saddle does have a wide tree on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue May 24, 2005 8:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ohh Kobau, you can buy my Crosby if you want....  ; )  I need to get rid of it. Like Mystic said its a fairly flat close contact saddle. I would have to measure the seat. It has fit like EVERY horse I have ever had it on. Its a wide tree. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont see a problem with selling your stubben if its in good shape. I just bought an ancient stubben imperator. Nothing wrong with it. And the old man I bought it from had it for 30 years. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally dont like courbette saddles. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think stubbens are the best haha. Depending on what you want to do mabey a wintec or something like that would work?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well a synthetic would be great, since it be for schooling and competeing mainly eventing, maybe some h/j, but for some reason i have a thing against synthetics... not sure why! i love leather.. and course i love Stubben and Passier, something about how they fit me... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena, lol i like Crosby's. Why are you selling it? if you don't mind me asking..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Embiem3 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Omg, im soo mad, I just spent 20 mins typeing a nice,long,detailed post, and the computer ate it #ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 162px; HEIGHT: 142px" height=98 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif" width=103#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=111 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/3.gif" width=164#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG height=131 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/2.gif" width=180#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats how mad I am#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed May 25, 2005 6:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just really wanted a stubben for cross-country, so I bought one... haha so needless to say the crosby is now just sitting around and its really just one more thing for me to have to look after and im not even using it haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But im a silly girl and I did not read your post correctly, I missed the part where you said you were looking for something for eventing... I did measure it though and it is a 17.5 inch seat. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like mystic said... its a flat saddle... haha, mine however does have knee rolls on it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Wed May 25, 2005 6:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Bently its a A/P but its not very deep so I can still jump in it. I love Stubbens to this winter I bought one on trial and it didn't fit my pony grrrrr I was so mad!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Foxie » Wed May 25, 2005 7:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a question about Stubben saddles. Do they fit different kinds of horses? What I mean is if I buy a AP Sigfried, medium tree...will it fit TB's as well as a Quarter Horse?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed May 25, 2005 10:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#no, it wouldnt fit both unless they both had the exact same back. QH's are usually really flat backed or wide through the shoulders and tbs are generally very narrow and have the "shark fin" withers.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your looking for something to fit both I would go with a wintec or bates which has the adjustable tree... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Wed May 25, 2005 10:39 am

Foxie wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a question about Stubben saddles. Do they fit different kinds of horses? What I mean is if I buy a AP Sigfried, medium tree...will it fit TB's as well as a Quarter Horse?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It depends on the build of both horses but typically, TBs and QHs are built VERY differently from each other.  TBs tend to be narrower and with higher withers, whereas, depending on the "style" of QH you get, they are built MUCH wider through the shoulders.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I had my QH (who was the "bulldog" foundation-type QH, not the more refined TB-type), I tried a Stubben Tristan 32mm tree (the widest Stubben makes) dressage saddle on him and it was too narrow.  He needed a wide saddle.  My TB, OTOH, did not need a wide saddle...he was tall and lanky...meaning that I had to buy a new saddle when I got him #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/11.gif"#ed_cl# (I had a Santa Cruz wide-tree dressage saddle that I absolutely LOVED but it did not fit Dali...and no amount of padding and muscling up would have EVER made it fit).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, the Stubbens are made to fit horses that are more typical in Europe/Germany, not the bulky QHs that you find over here in North America.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Wed May 25, 2005 11:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well my Stubben A/P fit horses of a wide variety... From a 16.2 high withered angular Hannoverian angloarab, lower withered round bodied Morgans, Qh's, paints, both foundation and Tb types, Trakehners, crosses, Draft crosses etc.. Maybe i have an amazing Stubben... but it fit them all with minimal changes, maybe a cashel cushion , or a thicker or thinner pad...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stubben fit a certain type of back more than others, like mine seems to be better on flatter backed horses. Whereas a Barnsby seems to fit better on horses with more scoop to their backs...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was looking at saddles, saw a Bates i really liked, actually 2 of them, one being a CC... and since they make wintec, and there is a wintec cc that looks identical to the bates cc jumping saddle, i'm going to see if i can try one out for me and my boy.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also... i've had some odd tb's, well i still have one... they look like at least part qh's...at least they do not look like stereotypical  tb's and i have a qh that is built like a typical tb even though he is only a fraction of tb blood in him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby lokukac » Wed May 25, 2005 9:47 pm

[#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, the Stubbens are made to fit horses that are more typical in Europe/Germany, not the bulky QHs that you find over here in North America.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Hm, Chenders this is my opinion as well.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Of course there are exceptions, my dear Siegfried fits a fat appy.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smoker.gif"#ed_cl# But we tried on a standardbred gelding, and I just could not find the horse under the saddle. Also it was terrible on a morganxappy mare.#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#But my HannxTb mare was born for this saddle.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#And the Stubben is the only saddle I trust to buy off from Ebay without trying.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu May 26, 2005 6:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ugh on ebay someone has been puttin gup the new stubben roxanne s with no reserve, man if I only had like 1000$ or something.... darn haha.... in the tack shops that saddle is over 2500#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Embiem3 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:31 am

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ugh on ebay someone has been puttin gup the new stubben roxanne s with no reserve, man if I only had like 1000$ or something.... darn haha.... in the tack shops that saddle is over 2500#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# Have you ever ridden in the new stubbens? They are the most uncomfortable saddle Ive ever ridden in. Like my but was honestly bruised after that ride. And it wasnt just the modles that I tried that were hard, acording to the owner of the tack store I was at, they make them like that now. Something to do with that they are made for jumper\eventing riders mainly and they figure that they dont spend much time sitting in the saddle there for why waste money makeing them comfortable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu May 26, 2005 6:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya theyre always hard, but when you break them in they arnt that bad... it also has to fit really well too. My coach a stubben dressage saddle that was VERY hard, I couldnt ride in it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lokukac » Thu May 26, 2005 9:00 pm

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ugh on ebay someone has been puttin gup the new stubben roxanne s with no reserve, man if I only had like 1000$ or something.... darn haha.... in the tack shops that saddle is over 2500#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I dunno Embiem, that Roxanne what Xena looks at does not seem to be uncomfortable. But I rode once in a Kieffer something, and #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#that#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# was hard. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Postby iluvmypony » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Barnsby "Nick Skelton" and I love it!  It fits my TB and my pony (who is wide).  It is super comfortable and I would recommend it to anyone. My coach has 2 and she is always on the lookout for them because they are great saddles and they really put you in the right place. However you have to find used ones as the don't make them anymore #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck on your search Kobau!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/11.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
My user name used to be Applescruffs!
iluvmypony
Newbies
Newbies

check out this saddle

Postby devinmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:17 pm

hey,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
check out this saddle, whats your opinion on a Courbette Arosa?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: arial,helvetica;"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... hoto#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#span style="font-family: times new roman;"#ed_cl#devin#ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
devinmarch
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Hunter/Jumper