What will the judge ask in a open hunter class?

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

What will the judge ask in a open hunter class?

Postby panzita0 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's at a saddle club show so it's not incredibly tough compeition or anything but what will they ask for? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri May 27, 2005 3:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is hunter under saddle?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If so, then it will be rail work. At all saddle club shows I've been to, you start out at the walk (usually to the left), then they will ask for a trot (posting, unless specified sitting), and then the canter. Then, they will ask you to come back to the walk and change direction at the walk. Then, from there they will ask for the canter in that direction. And then will take you down to the trot. Then they'll ask you to line up in the centre, and usually have you back your horse infront of the judge. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although, sometimes they'll do things like split the class up completely, or just for the canter if there are alot of people. It really depends on the size of the arena, how many horses, and skill level (if it's a beginner class with lots of people they are more inclined to separate it, however if you're more advanced, then it's expected that you can control your horse better). I've been in classes where it was a smaller arena and had 15 horses going around at once. Then again, one show at the same place, there were 21 entries so the judge split the class up completely into two halves. Then, she picked her top 8 favourites from both groups and had them all come back for a second round, where she then placed. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby panzita0 » Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes this is hunter under saddle so just on the flat#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun May 29, 2005 11:15 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, then that is what they will ask you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby panzita0 » Sun May 29, 2005 8:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just walk trot canter and maybe sitting trot? that seems easy enough...what are we judged on? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Azalee » Sun May 29, 2005 8:32 pm

panzita0 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just walk trot canter and maybe sitting trot? that seems easy enough...what are we judged on? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your horse's manners (ie: how well it listens to you, doesn't get annoyed at other horses, etc) and its movement.  That's about it...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun May 29, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, that's all. Some judges may vary it up a bit, perhaps change the order slightly or ask for a sitting trot or whatever, but that's basically it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To elaborate, you are judged on your horse's movement (forward, tracking-up, straight topline (the long and low headset, where the horse is slightly flexed at the poll), manners with other horses and by itself (i.e. no bucking- although I've seen bucking horses place#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/5.gif"#ed_cl#), how fast the horse responds to cues (like transitions), and of course the overall appearance of your ride (do you and your horse look like you are enjoying yourselves and are riding along nicely?)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Sun May 29, 2005 9:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've ridden hunters for years and have never been asked for a sitting trot in a hunter under saddle class. Equitation on the flat yes but never hunter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby shady222 » Sun May 29, 2005 10:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#adding emphasis on long and low, they dont want you horse in a frame they want them not quite on the vertical but without there nose poking out. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon May 30, 2005 10:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The posting trot may have been in the equitation...if so, then I'm sorry for that...can't always remember. But some judges may vary it up slightly, although that pattern is generally routine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Flyin' High » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#umm generally walk trot canter, ocassionally i've been asked for a sitting trot, and a hand gallop#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Return to Hunter/Jumper