crest release vs. automatic release

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

crest release vs. automatic release

Postby HJrider » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride mostly hunter/jumper and I was just wondering would an equitation judge pick a crest release or an automatic release. The automatic release doesn't seem like a typical h/j release (i haven't seen anyone else doing it), but to be able to do it requires a lot of balance, and I wondered if this would win you more points with the judges. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HJrider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby weehaw » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:50 pm

i hope i don't sound horribly naive but what is an automatic release??
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In an automatic release you are not moving your hands up the horses neck, but keep them in the same position if you were on the ground. It requires ALOT of balance because when doing this, you must not be leaning on your reins and they still have to give.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HJR- I think I would go with the crest release because it's the *proper* release. Actually, I think there was someone on here once who had something happen to them where they used a different release than generally used and were marked down because of it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I read an article in this month's horse sport about judging hunter classes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically its judged on your "horse" and not the rider...essentially a good picture wins, but I'd go with the crest release to make it easier on yourself. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In the hunter ring, there are equitation classes, which would judge the position. I'd still go with the crest release, because like GS said, it's about the picture. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They want to see you releasing forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Flyin' High » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#definately stick wihthe crest release... hunter judges always want pretty#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby Arcadia » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good thing we aren't showing in the States, I just read an article by George Morris who states that the crest release is "suitable for the novice"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Arcadia
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mystic » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The automatic release is an advanced release. You don't rest your hands on the crest, instead they follow your horse's mouth so that they are 'jumping out of hand.' Read anything by George Morris and that's the release he prefers, just read his jumping clinic segment in any Practical Horseman and this is the release he tells most people to start using. I still use the crest release but I do find myself using the automatic release on occasion. This is definitely not a release for an inexperienced rider or a rider that is insecure in the saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Lehane » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With the automatic release you are still releasing forward, just in a more natural motion with the horse's head and mouth. Properly done, I think it looks better than the crest release ;)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby dressagenap » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no idea about which release you should use.  However, I do agree with Lehane and Mystic that your hands still move in the automatic release, albeit in a different way than in a crest release.  Personally, I like auto releases so long as I'm not on a new or green horse and I don't think that I'm going to be going over horribly lol.  I would much rather do a nice, forgiving crest release (or even a mane release!) than attempt an automatic release and catch the horse in his or her mouth.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Mystic » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I suggest picking up the most recent copy of Practical Horseman with Anne Kursinski on the cover. She has a really good article on the Automatic Release with excercises on how to develop the skill. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby HJrider » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yeah, i saw that article and it got me wondering. i have been working on it, but i wasnt sure if i could use it in the show ring. thanks to everyone for their advice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HJrider
Newbies
Newbies

Postby iluvmypony » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi! I don't think the judge would care what release you use as long as you were not compromising your position or interfereing with you horses jump.  The number one thing a hunter judge is looking for is your horses form over the fence and then the quality of your round.  I would not try to do an automatic release to get "extra points".  Gradually when your seat and hands become independant you can graduate to an automatic release.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
My user name used to be Applescruffs!
iluvmypony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby twopointrdr » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most likely I would stick with a medium/long crest release...  #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However I went to look up a photo of a horse that was sold to a top hunter rider from my province (rumour has it the horse sold for $100K +).  But looking at her position she is using an automatic release. (EDIT: Or close to one anyway.  I know in an actual automatic release there would be no slack in the reins, it would be an even line from the bit to the elbows.  But her knuckles are not pressed into the crest.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.northfieldfarms.com/horses/lennynew.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
twopointrdr
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I believe that is still a crest release twopoint. In an automatic release, you are not putting your hands forward up the horse's neck, you keep your hands in the same position over the jump as you would on the flat (still keeping the same contatct). In this picture the rider is putting their hands up the horse's neck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU's right. in an automatic release your hand follows the the bit in your horse's mouth. Your hand never comes into contact with your horses neck. There should be a straight line from the bit, through the rein to your forearm and elbow. Just because this rider's hands are not quite on the crest does not make it an automatic release. The loop in the rein speaks volumes about this being a crest release. In an automatic release because your hand is soft and is following the horse's mouth there is hardly any slack in the rein. An automatic release requires excellent balance and the ability to use your hand, seat and leg independently of each other. If you want to know how to develop an automatic release I suggest checking out the June issue of Practical Horseman. There is an article in it by Anne Kursinski about automatic releases and she gives 3 simple not easy exercises to develop this skill.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and word of warning twoointrdr. I wouldn't post pictures of anyone unless it's yourself, it's not looked on kindly by the moderators. Happened in another post.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby twopointrdr » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you looked at my "edit" I already put that I know that is not an automatic release.  But I have been taught by a very strict hunter coach and she would have frowned upon even that.  Knucles must go directly into the crest.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know very few riders that are below grand prix/open jumper level who can actual do an automatic release properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for posting pictures... It is off of the internet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.northfieldfarms.com"#ed_cl#www.northfieldfarms.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# then go to horses sold.  Anyone can view it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
twopointrdr
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry, you did not have the edit there when I was reading.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, what you have written for your edit is still incorrect. With the automatic release, the rider's hands would not be up the horse's neck at all, they would be back by the withers, the exact place the would be when riding on the flat. That release, although not perfect, is under the category of "crest release" because her hands are up the horse's neck and are forward infront of her body. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried to find a picture, but couldn't, and then I remembered the EC that Mystic pointed out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We aren't supposed to be posting pictures period, regardless of where they are from, in case that person were to stuble across it and disaprove of it. I'm guessing you didnt' see that post, but EC had made one about doing such things. Although you found it off the internet, there was another member in a post who did the exact same thing as you (found it on the internet), but was told that we were not allowed to do it. We can only post them if it is our own pictures. Just so you know for in the future.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Lehane » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TECHNICALLY, to be nitpicky, the hands in an auto release aren't at the withers still...then they would be having no release at all.  The auto is also called a "following hand" in that the hands move forward in a straight line with the mouth and bit. There is no loop but there IS movement with the hands towards the mouth.  Hands should still be in front of your shoulders.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby twopointrdr » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agreed.  This illustrates the releases as taught by George Morris.  Look at the Caprilli release, which oh yes, is an automatic release.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.horsemagazine.com/CLINIC/S/SMITH_GREG/gsmith1.html"#ed_cl#http://www.horsemagazine.com/CLINIC/S/SMITH_GREG/gsmith1.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
twopointrdr
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Hunter/Jumper