Turned Out Toes

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Turned Out Toes

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On Sunday, I took the video camera up to the barn and filmed my ride to look back on it and see how my horse is doing with his jumping (you know, knees, where hetakes off, striding, etc.) I then looked at my self more, and my coach has mentioned this, but my toes are turned out. I try turning them in, but it kind of hurts and doesnt last very long. This especially happens when jumping, and wont look to good in the hunter ring...Any tips or suggestions would be great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanx!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A horse gallops with his lungs,
Perseveres with his heart,
And wins with his character.
~Tesio
Solo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do they turn out when you walk? I read a dressage book once, that told the story of a woman who re-trained her feet/hips  by walking toed-in all the time. Apparently it helped the problem in the saddle. If you walk toed-in for a while you will feel the stretch in the front of your hip and the outside of your calf. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Pony Hunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah a long time ago I had that problem too. Im not sure how I fixed it though. Is your stuirrups too long? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, i kind of walk with my toes out anyway, ill try walking with my feet in more. My Stirrups are on the 12th hole, wich are pretty short, but not to short. Theyre perfect for me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A horse gallops with his lungs,
Perseveres with his heart,
And wins with his character.
~Tesio
Solo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pony Hunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#errr I dont think I do that if I were you.... might screw up your ankles#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Azalee » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm really bad for this too.  Instructors would harp on me to turn my toes in, which I would do by turning my ankles.  Just plain uncomfortable.  And then I had a "eureka" moment and realised I was riding with the back of my calves instead of the side. It was easier for me to think of the problem as involving the whole leg, and not just the toes.  So I would say to myself "Are the sides of my calves on?" If they weren't, I'd put them where they should be and toes would fix themselves.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yep my toes turn out a little while walking anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Positively4thStreet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hah, I'm lucky, I've never really had that problem-- in fact, I seem to recall some of my old instructors telling me to point my toes outward more! But then again, I'm pidgeon-toed when I walk. Advantage on a horse, disadvantage on the ground!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My most recent coach actually told me to turn my toes out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, my coach before that was all for toes in. If you want to turn them in, you have to turn in fromt he hip, and place the weight of your foot to the outside of your foot, this will naturally help them to turn in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As well, when jumping, your toes will turn out naturally. Ever seen the jumpers go around? They're toes are sticking out. Also, the shorter your stirrup is, the more your toe will have to turn out (again, look at jumpers).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Getting your toes in, doesn't come from you ankles......it comes from you hip! Most people ride with the back of their thigh on their horse, you're suppose to have the inside of your thigh on them.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Try taking your legs out of your stirrups, and letting your leg hang. Now pick you your leg FROM YOUR HIP! (so stretch you leg out off your saddle from your hip....your whole thigh should be off the saddle a tiny bit) and then turn your thigh inward, so that the inside of your knee and thigh, and calf are all resting against your horse. Now point your toes up, and walk around like that for a while.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Another trick that alot of people do is to put more weight in your baby toe, then on your big toe. That will also turn your toes in a little more. (they acuatlly make stirrup rubbers slanted to do this)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck, it's not an easy thing to fix!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rickie gave a good suggestion, I was going to say that too. Ride with no stirrups and just let your leg hang. If youve been riding like that for awhile then your muscles with be trained that way. If you start doing it properly your muscles with start to train to that way of riding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One clinician used to say you should ride with your legs hanging like wet towels down your horses sides. Natural and relaxed youd probly find your leg will automatically be correct. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For jumper, like giddyup said, to an extent you cant help the toes out.. .But only to an extent, youd have a problem if you really have them turned out and stuck into your horses sides. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok yes Xena, I don't mean they should be stuck out like coat hangers#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl#, that would be uncomfortable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But yes, turning them in from the hip is wear it comes from. Even with my toes slightly out, I still ride with inside of my thighs. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Littlegreymare » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Precisely Rickie - it's not your toes, it's your entire body :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#If you hip has the right angle and you are sitting deep enough, your knees and thus your toes will be in the correct position.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#If you think you naturally "toe-out", check your knees while you're riding. Are your toes in line with your knees? If so then it's a physical thing.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#If they're out of line with your knees, then you need to readjust everything.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Postby twopointrdr » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is nothing wrong with having toes that are slightly turned out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The stirrup should sit across your foot from your pinkie toe, angled to the ball of your foot.  Now if you kept your toes pointed straight forward with your stirrup iron in this position, the leather would be twisted.  You just angle your toe you slightly until the leather is sitting normally and that is the "proper" hunter/jumper leg position that I was taught anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dressage is another story where you want a long leg with teh stirrup more directly across the foot and the heel not as far down.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When you have your stirrup properly placed across your foot and your toes slightly turned out it is so much easier to place more of the weight down into your heel (which hurts like heck!! for the first while.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
twopointrdr
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Mystic » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to ride with my toes pointing out as well and my old coach was trying to get me to turn them in by pinching my knee against the saddle. Never worked was just extremely uncomfortable. How I solved it was riding dressage for 2 years with stirrups 3 holes longer than what I jump with. This allowed me to relax my leg from hip to ankle, which in turn turned my toes in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby graciespook » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I want to go farther on what rickie said. I completely agree with what she's saying. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you take your feet out of your stirrups, sit properly in the saddle (not too much on your actual rear end than up on your pelvis) and roll your leg so that the whole inside of the thigh/calf rests on the horse, you'll find you're a lot straighter, your leg will come backa little and your toes will be better. Its the first thing I check when someone has this problem. I've managed to contort my body so I sit right back on my bum but my legs stay back and my toes in. I start to cramp up. As soon as I notice, I fix my position and I'm comfortable again. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby jumpers4me » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:17 am

Rio Roulette wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do they turn out when you walk? I read a dressage book once, that told the story of a woman who re-trained her feet/hips  by walking toed-in all the time. Apparently it helped the problem in the saddle. If you walk toed-in for a while you will feel the stretch in the front of your hip and the outside of your calf. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had the same problem and walking with your toes in around the house really helps. it sounds stupid but, it strengthens the muscles in your legs to hold your toes in like that#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Erica Moran & Last Call

check check CHECK IT OUT ericanbud.tripod.com
jumpers4me
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Hunter/Jumper