Saddles

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Saddles

Postby devinmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Hey everyone,#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#I need some advice on close contact jumping
saddles. I have $1200 tospend and some more if its absolutly needed. I
am just starting to jumpbut plan to start showing alot. What saddle
would you suggest. Andalso, whats your opinion on HDR saddles in the
$1000 range.#ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Thanks, #ed_op#br#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#Devin#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
devinmarch
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pony Hunter » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dont get a HDR... thier crap. For your price a Wintec would be good, but they are not the most fanciest show saddle. But if you are just doing schooling shows they would be fine. Plus they are quite easy to clean. But if you want to spend a bit more a Bently makes very nice CC saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Embiem3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stay away from HDR, Santa Cruz, Colligate and basically anything else that looks like them. I deffanitly say get a Richvale Saddle. They are pretty much custom made and are gorgeous. They will run you about $1500 but are worth it. If you e-mail me I cant get you the # .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="mailto:Embiem3@aol.com"#ed_cl#Embiem3@aol.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Amanda#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

check this out

Postby devinmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 pm

hey,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
check this saddle out, post a quick message telling what u think#ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... rd=1#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
thanks,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
devin#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
devinmarch
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Embiem3 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Courbettes are really nice saddles. They tend to fit alot of horses and riders. I would just be leary of buying a saddle off of Ebay. Depending on how much showing you want to do and at what level, I would say sure it would be a great saddle for schooling and Trillium level.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Amanda#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby HaleyK » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Hey there,#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#I was ridding with the same saddle for 13 years cause I was debating on what kind of saddle I wanted to buy, and I needed to save up a little ;-). I am sure as everyone knows if you get yourself a good saddle that is comfortable and reliable it is well worth whatever money you pay for it. The reason I am building up the whole put the money out and get the best speach is because, the saddle I am suggeting is a Bates. Know I realize that this is a little out of the price range you gave us for ideas but let me tell you the Bates Caprilli is one of the best investments other than my show saddle I have ever made, I love it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#I am currently working alot of my young horses and the saddle is awsome it has a wide seat for my big butt and an adjustable tree for my horses. I have had it now for about a year and I know it will last me forever.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#But again they run about $2200.00 and change. But I tell you it will be worth it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Good Luck shopping.....Let us know what you come up with?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Later #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HaleyK
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Embiem3 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a Bates Caprilli CC saddle for about a year. It was great not not for someone who is seriously into showing hunter\jumper. I found(as well as the three coaches I had during the time I had the saddle) that I could never get the right position in it. And once you begin jumping upwards of 3'6, the saddle's cantle begins to hit you in the but as you land. I then sold my Bates and bought a Childeric La'Pogee. Couldnt be happier. Altho it will put you in the hole close to $5000.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#personally I do not really like Courbettes all that much. I used to have one and Ive tried a couple. I find they fit really weird and narrow.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also you need to be careful on Ebay because your going to pay alot for shipping and depending where it gets shipped from there are customs and taxes... Trust me, Ive looked into it. You can have that saddle for that price and end up easily paying over 1500 on the extra costs alone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are in Ontario I would check out Apple saddlery. They have tons and tons of great saddles new and used. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I personally like stubbens.... Crosby makes really nice close contact saddles. I rode in a coaches Crosby Ian Miller saddle and it was great... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby twopointrdr » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to ride in a Crosby Ian Millar back when I leased a mare years ago... man I loved that saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm just curious for the person who said to avoid Collegiate... what is wrong with them?  I have only ridden in a Collegiate dressage saddle, but I really liked it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
twopointrdr
Newbies
Newbies

Postby HaleyK » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#My show saddle is a Childeric I have just purchased it. I can't say I have ever had a problem jumping in my Bates and I am currently jumping 4'0 and above. I used the Bates all winter down in the states showing jumper.#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl#Mind you I don't have a butt for the cantel to hit, so maybe that is why it didn't cause me any problems. #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl#My reason for buying my Childeric was simply because they are the best saddle's ever by far for jumping. But the initial post was someone looking for a good saddle at a cheaper price and I thought that even the Bates was a little steep!!! And the Childeric are close to $4500 and up.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
May god grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can :-)
HaleyK
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I'm confused #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl#Haley you say you like your Bates for your big butt, but then say that you don't have a butt to hit the cantel at all...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Anyways I say Barnsby! Bates (to me) = most over rated saddle in the world :D hehe i am going to hear it about that from some of you but that's just my opinion...no offense intended to the lovers and followers out there. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My opinion of Collegiate isn't a high one. Every Collegiate I have ever been in has been bloody uncomfortable with ridges that dig into your inner thighs and is hard, plus put me too far forward in the wrong position. I find the stirrup bars are too far forward, totally.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have found, a a general rule, Wintecs to be comfy and functional. I really like my coach's Barnsby as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But saddles are a matter of personal prefrence. The best way is to try a bunch of different saddles and see what suits you the most. And your horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby HaleyK » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going to try to explaine this whole big butt, no butt thing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#K, so here it goes. What butt I do have is big but flat......I have what we would call Hank Hill butt. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there is no shape to it meaning that it is small in shape but big in size.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No I hope that helps to clear up any confusion there was about my bum. (sodapoppers)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
May god grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can :-)
HaleyK
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:44 pm

HaleyK wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going to try to explaine this whole big butt, no butt thing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#K, so here it goes. What butt I do have is big but flat......I have what we would call Hank Hill butt. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there is no shape to it meaning that it is small in shape but big in size.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No I hope that helps to clear up any confusion there was about my bum. (sodapoppers)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#HAHA Haley that is a great discription but unfortuneate that you have a hank hill bum!!#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

childeric

Postby jillya » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What makes childeric the best saddle ever for jumping?  I am currently saddle shopping and am really curious why people feel this way.  I have a saddle fit challenge he is very wide across the shoulders, too wide for a medium tree but not wide enough for a wide.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
jillya
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A lot of people like the childrec....personally I'm looking into buying a PJ .....mmmm...the PJ......like a throne for my butt...but, muchos expensive *sigh*#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Dream_Merchant » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:48 am

<font face='bookman old style' size=2 color=#006699>
OMG!! I've got two Bates Caprilli's and I absolutely LOVE them!! They were my Dad's saddles, back in the day when he was jumping 6ft for the fun of it, and jumping so much higher in the pussiances!! ehehe, those saddles have seen some absolutely HUGE fences in their life.

However, mind don't hit me in the bum or back, they are really flat -- I've tried so many other saddles for jumping, and I find them really deep after having ridden int he Caprilli for so long. I think the closest one I found I liked was the Pessoa saddle that was flat cantled. For now I'm sticking to my "30 year old saddles" as my coach told me one day they were for the time being.

Moral of the story -- stick with what you feel comfortable in, no matter what it is or anything like that.</font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby lokukac » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone knows Stubben MF?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lokukac
Groupie
Groupie

Well

Postby JessnMarsh » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't really comment on the saddle brand part of the discussion, I've had the same old saddle for years,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I can comment on that company that sells on ebay Equiteric sp (the link was posted) they are reputable, and will send you the item you bought as fast as the mail will deliver it =o) That company is not scam artists.&nbsp; And I would have no problem buying a saddle from them if I knew it would fit my horse.&nbsp; I would however probably not buy a saddle from a private party on ebay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PS I would like to know why the HDR saddles are crap.&nbsp; I've never seen one up close, and I'm curious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jessica#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Somewhere...somewhere in time's own space
There must be some sweet pastured place
Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
Some Paradise where horses go,
For by the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again...
-Stanley Harrison
JessnMarsh
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Embiem3 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, where have I been on this post lately....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bates Saddles- The reason I had a problem with it&nbsp; was because Im really tall, but skinny ( like 5'11 . 120 pounds) so I could just not get the right position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Childerics- The best saddles because of their design, leather quality and craftmanship. They put you in the right position but dont make you feel uncomfortable.&nbsp; The leather is amazeing, mostly calf skin. Worth every penny. they last a very very long time and fit every horse and rider because of their vast range of sizeing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HDR's - made in argentinea... need I say more? Made of crappy leather with crappy trees. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Colligates- personaly I wouldnt buy one other then to take on trails and what not. Basically same cat. as the HDR's#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You get what you pay for with any saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Next

Return to Hunter/Jumper