Saddles

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#hehe I'll fix teh Pessoa debate - get a Barnsby :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, I'm going to have to disagree with the HDR comments. Their not as bad as people say. I am also a big beleiver in "you get what you pay for" but some people cannot afford to buy a $2000 - 5000 saddle no matter how badly they want it.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The leather isn't as good as a $4000 saddle but it isn't bad quality leather, I've sat in saddles that put you in much worse positions and were much worse quality. One thing I will mention is that the HDR's do NOT fit all horses (they seem to fit TB's particularily badly) but if you can find one that fits your horse it's a good enough saddle for someone on a budget. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I didn't have a huge budget, I bought an HDR (and even that put me into debt LOL), it fit my horse well, I found it comfortable and it did the job, it did place my leg a little too far forward but that would be my only complaint. They're definetly not fancy pants but your not going to get fancy pants on a $1200 budget.... for that price range, if you can find one that fits, I would say the HDR is a decent saddle. My horse or I never had any complaints. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I owned the HDR Jumper Pro... I sold my jumper (and my saddle) and bought a new horse and I've since taken up dressage. Again, I'm on a strict budget so I bought a Wintec dressage 500. It's not the nicest saddle, it def. wasn't my first choice but again, it does the job for someone on a budget (like myself). The squeeking annoys the hell out of me though! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to add that some of these saddles are made of French leather and french calfskin... so with the higher end models, the leather quality isn't too bad at all!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ArabJumper » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 pm

BarnBratCSA wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe, well Arab, at least we can agree on trucks!  I like Beval's too...but not the new Naturals, only the old ones.  The new ones are just awful! They dont look nice, they're not comfortable, and I'm not crazy for the way they fit any horse.   If I could buy ANY saddle I wanted, it would totally be the Tad Coffin.   However, I just cant justify spending $3000 on a saddle! I didnt spend that on my first horse! hehehe#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agreed about the new Beval Natural. The saddle I'm getting when my horse is ready is around 4K.......and yeah that is way more than any horse I've ever paid for, but that's not by choice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too bad I didn't know you before, I sold my Pessoa's dirt cheap. I will admit this, the most comfy saddle I;ve ever ridden in was my Pessoa. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too bad, Arab... I'm holding out for a Pessoa!  hehe   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Pessoa, and I absolutly hate it. It is so incredibly uncomfortable, I get bruises and cuts from it. After riding in it for 15 min. I have to get off, and I cant walk the next day. I suggest a wintec, I dont have on(unfortunitly) and I have never rode in one, but from what my instructor tells me they are the best. I too, am looking for a english saddle, I might be showing in it next year, but I dont really care what it looks like. Although, everyones saying not to get something cheap, thats the only option for me. I havent looked into used saddles yet, because I would prefer a new one, but my limit will be like $400.00. I know that I could get a REALLY good western one for that new, but then again, I dont know much about english. Anyone know?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby ArabJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:59 pm

I have 2 wintecs for schooling, love them. The only issue i have is
that I'd rather die than step into a show ring with them!! hehe.  
anyhow Ive had good luck with them. They do get hot in the summer
becuase of the material they are made from.
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just bought a Bates Caprilli Dressage I LOVE IT!!!!!!! its sooooo comfy!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, I was just on the wintec saddle website, and I dont see why they are so ugly, they look pretty nice to me. I would love to have one of the western saddles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heres the site.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.wintec.net.au/"#ed_cl#http://www.wintec.net.au/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The thing with wintecs is that they look nice new but they are hard to keep clean. The fabric holds dust really well and with age they look really really old and worn out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would never ever ever show in one. They are yucky!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have also found that they tend to throw off your position. We have three schoolie wintecs at our barn- a safari colt style, a little dressage style one and a bigger a/p. The bigger one puts your legs too far forward, the dressage one is ok, but its only like a 14" so its too small for most of our butts! haha The colt is decent, but its like sitting on a big log- highly uncomfortable!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've ridden in a close contact synthetic saddle, except it was a Griffith instead of the Wintec.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found it to be a nice saddle, quite comfy and the suede helps your butt stick better#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#. The only thing I don't like about them, is that I always squeaked when I rode in them because of my leather boots rubbing against the saddle. You can fix it a bit, but they're always a little squeaky. Also, they're very difficult to adjust stirrup lengths because the synthetic stirrup leather is hard to pull up or down so it makes it almost impossible to adjust them while on the horse becuase you've gotta pull down so hard. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if you kept them one length all the time, that's not so bad (it was someone elses saddle, so I had to re-adjust the stirrups all the time).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TequillaJack » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are planning on showing above the schooling level, the wintecs are not highly looked unpon, not that you cant ride in them, judges just dont really like them for the most part.  And as sad as it is things like that make a difference.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
If you are planning on showing above the schooling level, the wintecs are not highly looked unpon, not that you cant ride in them, judges just dont really like them for the most part.  And as sad as it is things like that make a difference
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is not necessarily true, I have a friend that shows 2nd level on the A circuit in Quebec that rides in a Wintec Isabell and she does just fine. I know of other higher level riders that ride in the "higher end" wintecs without any problems!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to add: I have shown both A circuit and Trillium H/J with my Wintec CC (it's a caramel colour) and you can hardly tell it's wintec....no problems there!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by PerfectAngel on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby EatMyDust » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont show for competition...I show for fun. I dont care what the judges think, as long as im comfy and safe. Thats what matters.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby bighorsetack » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride in a saddle made by the same company that makes the HDR's and it has to be one of the most comfortable saddles that I've ever sat it.  Plus, the dressage saddle is like a couch.  The leather actually equals some of the 'true' European saddles that I've seen that cost about 3 times as much. And all of mine are made in Argentina.  So - a word of warning - some Argentinian saddles are crap - others are not.  You really can't tell unless you actuall see the saddle itself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bighorsetack
Newbies
Newbies

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper