rushing the jumps

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

rushing the jumps

Postby goldendryad » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How do you stop a horse from rushing to the jumps? A horse at my barn is doing this. The rider has been told to half-hault but the horse doesn't seem to be listening.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach tried putting poles in front, and the horse just leaps over the pole as she jumps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thoughts...ideas??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Terry3025 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmmmm...this sounds familiar.  Major loves jumping so much, but doesn't understand that you have to wait for the jump, not run to it.  What we've done to slow him down and relax him is to start at the basics again.  Do trot poles, until he doesn't rush over this.  Do canter poles.  Have poles everywhere, until the horse goes over them like he doesn't care about them!  The horse has to listen to the rider and not rush off like a crazy horse #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/confused.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I've also seen to prevent a horse from rushing, when you are heading towards the jump and feel him rushing immediately turn away and canter/trot in a circle until he calms down.  Only take the jump when he is listening to the rider.  He will eventually get it through his head, that every time he rushes that he has to work even harder in a circle, and it would be easier to slow down and relax!!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although this does take a look of time and patience, the horse has to gain confidence to do all this.  The likely problem of his rushing is that he is laking confidence and wants to get the jump over as quick as possible.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this helps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We had a little TB mare where I take lessons just like this... and this is what was done. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Start trotting the jumps and after the jump dont let the horse canter away, make the horse halt right after the jump and stand. Once the horse can do this, do the same thing in the canter. And keep doing it. And eventually the horse should start waiting for the rider more... And any time he does start rusing you can always go back to it and remind him. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Putting canter poles in bettween the jumps is just used for striding. It would be helpful if he was going to be doing hunter over fences. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing that is good is grid work which may help slow him down. You could even use the halt method after the last fence. I would do that with a single first though. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is nothing as dangerous as a horse who rushes. A horse should be willing to listen to your aids and your signals for faster or slower. Even the hottest horses. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *rickie* » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#My guess on the reason:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#A missing building block in the basic riding piramid.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#If the horse is rushing, and running through a half halt, then the horse doesn't have the proper respect for the rider, or balance, and it's time to go back to the basics, and start working on the flat, asking for trot-halts and canter-walks (or canter-halts) If the horse can do these, then I would think that it would have the respect, and balance needed to listen to the rider when he/she half halts when headed towards a fence.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Of coarse strating off with poles are a great idea, but if the horse is even rushing the poles, then that is an even bigger sign of a missing block!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Or perhaps, there is a missing building block in the riders learning piramid?? Perhaps the rider's half halts are not prperly done, and that's the reason they are ineffective........#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Either way, best of luck though, and let just know how it all turns out.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby shady222 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm well this is my horse that we are talking about and my feeling i that she isn't rushing. Everyone calls it rushing but she takes off early because she prefers longer distances to shorter ones and the kids that ride her don't know how to ride distances yet so she gets to decide her take off point. She has lots of respect and thats not the reason she does this, she would just rather be long. We have halter her after jumps and everytime my mare has rushed with me its because something in my position is telling her to rush, ex. Getting ahead of her...anyway...just thought i would point this out. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I take jumping lessons on her from professionals and shown her and all that and thats all my coach tells me, plus they dont jump her round in a frame and working from behind so she is kind of lax in her style. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oooook..... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well Shady, if it is your horse and other kids who are not experienced are riding her or taking lessons on her than maybe you should talk to the coach or whoever and ask that she not be used for jumping lessons? Then she will only have you riding her over jumps. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Theres a big difference between being long like a hunter and fast and flat.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horses rush fences for alot of reasons, young horses rush because of lack of experience or being over faced, some horses get exciting, some horses were let to rush from the start and never corrected. You can do all the ground work in earths history and that horse will probly still rush the jump. Its not necessarily always because the horse is lacking training. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shady, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#From what you have said I would just suggest doing some grid work with her. This will help her come to the base of the fence more and it will also strengthen her backend. The grids dont have to be huge either. If shes never done any than starting with an "X" to a small vertical will be more than enough and you can eventually work towards higher and more jumps. Youll need to have the striding set up perfect though with a bounce or it will not help her. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My thought on this is every time someone else rides this horse incorrectly over fences they are taking valuable training off.  SO the owner who stated they ride with a professional and all is well....the professional thing to do is ONLY jump with your PRO coach present and restrict other from riding him/her.  Where my friend rides they never jump unsupervised.  They always have their coach present...loaning your horse out to novice rider will only set back the horse's training over fences...and may confuse or cause problems in the end.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well if you say it's just with other kids that she does this- then it seems she knows she can push them around. If it's affecting your riding with her, then I would also suggest that you don't let other people jump her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, even if she's taking off long and you don't want her to, that's still her not listening. You have to make her listen. I would work on using half halts, but also you shouldn't be releasing until you get her to the point of the fence where you want to take off. If you don't let her do it, she can't. I had this problem a bit with teaching Zippy where to take off- she was inexperienced and didn't know, so I had to hold her to the fence until I wanted her to take off, then release. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That could be another issue with young kids on her who are only learning. Generally with novice jumpers you start them out where they go into their two-point multiple strides before the fence, so that way, they are never holding the horse, and that could be why your horse is choosing her own distance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But really, it seems there are some basics missing perhaps and also perhaps some inexperienced people riding her that shouldn't. I'd keep it to just you and pros for now. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cheryl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If as you say she is just wanting a long spot, put more poles in front of the fence.  Place a couple of canter poles in front of every jump.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and as a general comment and not neccisarily about your horse, some horses rush because they weren't brought to the fence without enough pace.  With them the trick is to let them keep that pace the whole way through and they then trust that the pace will be there for the fence and slow down on their own.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby shady222 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#she just gets excited when she hasnt done much jumping and she does like to take a longer spot than a shorter one, its not that shes not listening...but when shes on her forehand it makes it much harder to get her to the right spot to jump from. The kids take jumping lessons on her...so i can't really stop that well i could but i dont see that much of a prob...it will just give them something to work on and some of it is the riders position  and control. shes not rushing tho...just taking some longer distances. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So then your problem is that you need to get her off the forehand. See, the basics come back to haunt you when you jump!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I would do alot of half halting, you may also need to do some downward transitions to get her listening and onto her back end before you start jumping, or even while you are jumping. Don't let her go running around on the forehand, correct in before you jump. Also, you can put poles infront of the jumps that will tell the horse when to take off, the poles will also cause her to think about her striding and where she is taking off, and help slow her down a bit if she is getting excited. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Marty_Jones » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try to push the horse into the "V" that being the from your hands to where you want to be/the bit. also try half halting about 3 strides befor the fence then leave the horse alone(may be pulling making the horse run from the bit). Another thing is to sit the whole way to the fence none of that hunt seat stuff may be in style but it causes problems. Let your horse put you into position.try a 9foot pole in front and behind the jump(at the same time) Half halt at each poll(three times) forcing the horse to collect and be round... also do a lot of small gymnastics and grid work. My mare rushed fences and we worked with all of the above and it worked she is still speedy but shes jumper. we did 5ft just before I sold her and shes barely 15.2hh. Good luck#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lehane » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sitting to the jump might be causing the rider to unintentionally pump going up to the fence as well.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby shady222 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol you guys dont understand...this isnt me, these kids are just learning how to jump and they dont know about horses being on the forehand and all that...anyway the horse doesnt have a problem the kids are just going to have to learn..she was real good for the girl who has ridden her since Dec yesterday so i dont see a problem with the mare and she wasnt riding her onto the bit either but she has a better half halt than the other girl and doesnt get ahead of the horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im just wondering what the point was to this post? It was not even posted by the rider or owner?? What is going on? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And actually yes, when a horse is rushing fences it will take off too far from the base of the jump because it is not giving itself enough time to size up the jump and proper striding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One minute you say she IS rushing, the next there;s nothing wrong? You dont need to take anyones advice at all, but if you post a question then you should expect answers. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like everyone has said, letting novice riders ride a private horse is not going to help the students at all, its only going to make your horse worse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cheryl » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't get it then.  What is the question/problem again then?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby shady222 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my point is, i didnt post this. another rider at the barn did thinking my horse has a problem but i think its just inexperienced riders...my mare likes her longer distances when i let her have them with me but she doesnt rush them and i dont really let her get that excited...these kids just need to learn how and my point kind of is...why are things going on about MY horse behind my back...the horse has no problems..shes been pony clubbed 10 yrs and shown succesfully in hunters. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Lehane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well if the OP has a problem we're trying to help HER.  YOU might not have a problem with your horse but obviously the OP does, so that's why we've all responded the way we have.  IF there wasn't a problem, she wouldn't have posted.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe lehane, the other poster was posting about shady's horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But on another note, wether there is anything wrong with your horse or not, we have all know Goldendryad for a very long time on this board and I have (personally) always found her to be one of the more knowledgeable riders...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#she just gets excited when she hasnt done much jumping and she does like to take a longer spot than a shorter one, its not that shes not listening...but when shes on her forehand it makes it much harder to get her to the right spot to jump from. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im just wondering if there is no problem with your horse, why did you put this in the post? And why didnt you just tell us in the first place you didnt want our advice instead of going along with it and posting? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You cant be upset with anyone here because no one is psychic so none of us could have possibly known you didnt want our advice. Ecspecially when you contributed information on what was going on with your horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Everyone horse has its own problems and everyone here is usually very nice anf friendly with thier advice. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you are having a problem with your horse. No one here is going to think less of you and there are some VERY experienced horsepersons on this board. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Hunter/Jumper