rushing the jumps

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Postby Lehane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena: I know she was posting about shady's horse but that's where the problem lies: shady doesn't have a problem with her horse but the OP does...and that is why we are responding as we are, not to help shady but to help the OP and other riders who may end up riding shady's horse. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lendon Gray had a couple of good exercices to do: one is going on trot, jump and immediately go for a leg yield, make a 20m circle and halt. You can do your leg yield before jumping.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another way is trotting to the jump and halt 20 feet before, back and take a walk. In fact keeping the horse busy so he does not anticipate the jump and will learn to wait for his rider signal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this help#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby shady222 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i know crystal too, but she doesnt jump my horse...i do and some other people...and im not trying to go along with  it im telling you guys what my certified jumping coach told me about my horses jumping style, every horse has there own style and she just likes to be long unless the rider can find the distance for her and these kids dont know how to yet....Anyway, i wasnt there that night, but i am good friends with the lady that coaches the kids on my horse and she thinks the kids position has something to do with it too...just a little odd seeing posts about my horse not by me...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i know crystal too, but she doesnt jump my horse...i do and some other people...and im not trying to go along with  it im telling you guys what my certified jumping coach told me about my horses jumping style, every horse has there own style and she just likes to be long unless the rider can find the distance for her and these kids dont know how to yet....Anyway, i wasnt there that night, but i am good friends with the lady that coaches the kids on my horse and she thinks the kids position has something to do with it too...just a little odd seeing posts about my horse not by me...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what i do with horses that rush and sometimes she can do this but not with the kids because they dont let her do her jumper style is canter upto a jump, halt and then jump from a stride away from the jump and that really makes her think about where her feet are or whoever i am riding and then halt again after...its a good exccercise just to make sure a horse is listening to you and thats prob the prob with the kids, she doesnt have respect for them yet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OH my, this post turned into a runaway train, not my intention at all.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shady, this was in no way meant to be an offense to you or your horse as such. I think you are super and you know how I adore your horse. I sing her praises to everyone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For obvious reasons I didn't name names either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This lesson was quite a while ago, but Shady seemed, to me, to really zoom at the jumps. Flash did it a tad too, I think,...and I could be totally wrong...that what we wanted was a nice, even rhythm canter over the jumps, which she wasn't giving. But she was rather energetic that day, but most certainly not dangerous or anything like that. I think what was wanted was more of an even, hunter pace to the jumps. But like I said, I could be totally wrong.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I asked the question not to correct your horse, or say she's bad...heck I don't know much. That certainly isn't my place. But I posted this to learn more about what to do if I ever encounter a horse that jumps that way. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to Hunter/Jumper