Jumping alone

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Jumping alone

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone here jump alone?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My problem is that I am coachless so I am self teaching at the moment and need to get going on some gymnastics and courses- however, most of the time I ride, I ride by myself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, I can set up the course or they gymnastic, but it's obviously very inconvenient to change fence heights. I'm not jumping that high now- mainly x's and such, but its hard to set up a course of verticals if  I need to have some warmp up fences. The problem will become worse as I jump higher because there needs to be some variance in height.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any solutions besides just getting off  every time to fix it? I haven't been doing that thus far, I normally just set up some small x's or verticals and then leave it like that. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think my only other option is to set up some extra fences for warm-up only. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Mystic » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have and still do jump alone at times. In which case I go out ahead of time and arrange the fences to the height I want. If I'm schooling alone, I tend not to go much higher than 2'9 but I make sure I have at least one fence that is a little lower, maybe 2'3 - 2'6 that can be jumped from both directions that I can use as a warm up fence. Luckily my mare doesn't tend to take the fences down, even if she gets in deep provided I stay out of her way so getting off to fix fences isn't much of an issue for me. And the reason my warm up fence is so high is because my mare has absolutely no respect for anything lower than that and can't be bothered to pick up her feet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby ~*Pony Luver*~ » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i dont really jump alone someones always there but without my coach i only jump tiny stuff. i dont know why its just what ive always done! but i dont like to jump completly alone cause im afraid ill hurt myself and there wont be anyone to help!lol i know im paranoid!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset.
~*Pony Luver*~

Postby chenders01 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heh.  I don't like to RIDE alone, let alone JUMP, which can be much riskier than just doing flat-work.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One barn I was at was small and very quiet.  There were times when I'd go out and be the ONLY person on the entire property (both BOs worked full-time jobs in addition to running the farm).  If the place was completely deserted, I'd often opt for just doing ground-work and skip riding altogether, for fear that I'd fall off and be laying there in the dirt for who knows HOW long, until someone showed up to rescue me   #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd be really careful about jumping alone.  If you're gonna do it, carry a cell-phone so that if the worst happens, at least you've got a way to call for help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Nix » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#00407f#ed_cl#I completly understand this, many riders are faced with the same problem. Its even frustrating when you are riding with someone else, because one of you will still have to get off your horse whenever you need to fix a fence, and there is double the chance somethings going to get knocked down. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Unless you have telekenesis or some magic power you failed to mention, there really are no other solutions other then getting off your horse everytime you need to set up or fix something #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl#  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/8.gif"#ed_cl# It sucks but theres not much anyone can do about it. Just try setting up a variety of jumps before you start, a couple for warm-up, and a couple of higher ones too. Then you won't have to get off #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#as#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl# much, I guess.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
--N

Breeze...I miss you, baby! Hope you're happy in your new home!

*I currently suffer from severe Riding-Withdrawal*
Nix
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, I guess I"ll set up an extra warm up fence or two. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders- The barn I am at depends. When I say I'm riding alone, I mean more that no one is around the arena, people are up in the barn, or the BO is at home. Unfortunately I do not have a cell phone. I don't jump too often though (like once a week), so I will keep it to a time when people are around. But yes, sometimes there's like NO ONE around the barn and I'll be by myself. I don't like those times so much. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Embiem3 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:58 pm

Nix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#00407f#ed_cl#..I completly understand this, many riders are faced with the same problem. Its even frustrating when you are riding with someone else, because one of you will still have to get off your horse whenever you need to fix a fence, and there is double the chance somethings going to get knocked down. ..#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  I figured out a solution to this problem a few years ago. You hire one of thoes 'coaches' aka Jump Setter-uppers who you basically just pay for them to set up jumps. Theres tons of them around, they dont teach, just set up some jumps and stand around. There very helpfull! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Second Verse(Brooklyn)

Embiem3

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have enough jumps, make a couple warm up fences at different heights, like a crossrail fence, and then a vertical that is as high as the highest jump in any of your grids or lines. And have a couple different lines set up, like a vertical to an oxer and then mabey a grid with 3 or 4 jumps. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I jump alone. But someone usually knows that is what im doing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Flyin' High » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i definately jump alone.... or with people, depends on the day!! as many others have suggested, if you want a vertical course, but feel the need for some smaller warm up fences, put up 1 or 2 smaller fences, and the rest leave at the hieght you want to school over. when making up courses, INCLUDE the warm up fences as well, b/c its good for your horse to get used to changing heights anyways.... then you're both more prepared#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby shady222 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i jump my mare any chance i get to ride her...i dont think with every horse i would feel as comfortable as i do on my mare...but yeah i feel safe going atleast upto 3ft on my own with her...or just doing odd jumps. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby riderready » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There are plenty of people with this problem. I hunted down another person in a similar situation, and we have met to swap off being each other's jump crew.  It has the added advantage of providing a free second opinion.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's a good point there riderready. But then that's the other problem, alot of the time when I come up, there is no one else riding with me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dream_Merchant » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#A problem that most people deal with, and me personally!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I train Showjumpers on my own, I don't even have any stable staff to give me a hand - so schooling on the flat or jumping usually means I'm on my own. I always carry a mobile (cell for all the non-Aussie people! haha) phone wherever I go, however, when I'm on the horse, I always put it on silence (usually on vibrate so I can feel it ringing, but it doesn't frighten the horse) - my older horses are used to the phone, but younger horses may get a fright from a phone suddenly ringing with some crazy frog music or something!!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#There is always the problem of your horse knocking down fences - UGH!! I know too well. Unfortunately, it means getting off, fixing the fence, and having my trusty crate or drum next to the fences to get back on. Sometimes this is a good thing, because it gives you a few seconds just to recap - was I too deep, was I pulling, holding too much, too long, not enough leg, etc etc.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I've been lucky never to have been seriously injuried (apart from a broken nose and injuring my bad knee) *touch wood* - and it does concern me when I ride alone. If I'm going out into the forest at the back, I will ALWAYS let someone know, even if it's the next door neighbour. Mostly I'll give Dad a call (he drives trucks all day), and let him know, smsing him each time I finish working a horse. That way, if I don't sms him for over an hour or at the least two hours, he knows something is wrong, and can call someone to come check on me. Might be an idea if someone has a phone or something.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dream_Merchant

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sounds like a good idea DM.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately I don't have a cell phone#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl#. Usually it's not the biggest problem because even if I'm alone in the ring, there's generally someone around the barn, or the BO is home, and if I'm outside, there are neighbours close by (like right next door). The only time it's bad is if the BO has gone out and no one else is in the barn- in that case I won't jump alone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to hop over some small fences every now and then by myself, generally I like to have someone on the property though.  A couple of summers ago i was jumping one of my horses around over small fences and got planted on my head, haha broken poles standards fell on me and the horse ran over onto the nieghbors lawn haha but nobody saw or knew.  I thought it was pretty funny except i had a reality check this year when i came off a race horse at a farm that managed to get out onto the road, won't say what happened after but it still gives me nightmares.  At least have someone around at the barn when ur mounted, ya never know what can happen.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I jump alone #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/4.gif"#ed_cl# I dont have the cash $$$ for a full time coach. Although I get the odd lesson here and there. Another problem I have is the only place I can afford to board my horse at is a long distance riding barn (which I love ofcourse) but they only have 2 pairs of jump standards. I have to get super creative with hay bales and pylons in order to make a course. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#EF- I hear you about getting creative! I've used cynder blocks, barrels, pylons, you name it to make a full course. The only problem with using those, is that you cannot make very many heights out of them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya for sure like the heighest I can get is like 2ft :(#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Phil » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#not saying you need a "coach" there to help you all the time, just have someone around a the farm that knows your on horseback.  barrels on standing up with cider blocks on either side of the poles work as effective standards, they make alot of noise when the fall too haha.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Phil
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Phil- If I'm planning on jumping then I definitely make sure someone is home at the barn, and I rarely run into a situation where someone isn't around at all if I'm riding...although in the past I have ridden all alone when the BO wasn't home...and I did think to myself, "I could fall off and die and nobody would know"- however I did keep riding- if that makes any sense#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley17.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, atleast my horse is good about not knocking down jumps and rarely touches them, so I've got it good in that respect that I don't have to get off every 2 mins to put a jump back up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to Hunter/Jumper