timing troubles

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

timing troubles

Postby riderready » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm starting to jump a big horse with a huge stride.  He collects nicely, but a few strides out I can see that it will be a long 4 or a short 5.  Since his problem is being strong and over exuberent, the correct thing is to go for the concervative 5 strides.  The problem is that he is so big, his collected stride is longer than other horses, so we end up chipping in.  But, we are not ready to go for the bigger fence yet. Any ideas?   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Mystic » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sounds to me like he needs to learn proper rhythm. My suggestion is to work alot on gymnastics and cavalettis with bounces and one strides. He needs to learn to back himself off the fence and this will help him do that. It will also teach him proper jumping form. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Leena » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since you are the rider, you have to set him in a regular gaits, and ride the course this way.I know it's seem a bit difficult but as other mentionned, ground riding, and cavaletti exercices, ground poles will help you setting the pace for him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and I hope this help !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Set out a canter pole nine feet from the base of the jump...it will do wonders....and I second the flat work...another good exercise is to set up a four and a half stride line and practice 4 strides then five .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Flyin' High » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i agree with the above posters, flatwork and canter poles are great. gymnastics will work wonders too. your horse needs to learn to adjust himself, and you need to learn how to help him do that. my old mare had a long staride to, and was very strong (once took a 5 stride line in 2 strides w/o being long.. still can't figure it out)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#gymnastics help a LOT!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Poles!! You can never go wrong with poles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good thing to do is to set up a line, say something like a 5 stride, then you practice doing it in all different strides- 5, 4, 6- work on lengthening and shortening your horse's stride as far as you can go. It will really get the horse listening as well as develop your eye better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As well, you can set up a course of poles, where the good thing about poles is that you can fiddle around with striding without worrying about hitting something, knocking down something, big trips, ect. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby riderready » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the input.  It's definately a rhythm problem - most horses see the fence approaching and adjust - he doesn't.  His stride is so long, I have a hard time helping him adjust.  I like the idea of combinations or ground poles.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Figuring out the best canter quality may also help.  It's hard to get the good impulsion without him trying to hook off with me.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Poles and grid work will be really good for getting him to adjust. That's something that comes with time- don't worry too much! Just keep working at it and he'll understand. Same with his pace and quality of canter- the poles are really good for that because you can work on getting him to shorten and lengthen and to listen to you and gridwork also helps because it tells him his striding and thus he'll eventually figure out the pace he must go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he has a really long stride you may want to work on collection and extension on the flat first.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby shady222 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the more dressage and trot pole work you can do will help this horse develop a rythm. try getting the distance between poles or raised poles before setting them up as jumps. When you can get the number of strides you want between the poles then i would try jumping, at this point i would try and find a rythm for him and leave him with hunter lines set on the 12ft stride and not ask him to collect or extend quite yet as that may upset his rythm. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Hunter/Jumper