Making them Jump

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Making them Jump

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello, my horse doesn't have the problem of rufusing just he trots over everything! Yes, theyre not big jumps, but they are ment for jumping. We have to start small on him to see if he will stay sound. and if he trots over everything its hard to see how much we can do on him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I try to make him go really forward, all he does is trot over it then canter, Such a funny horse! Its good that he trots over them though because he has to use him but, but a jump woud be nice!Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well after he lands make him keep cantering to the next fence. Carry a crop if you have to. Or pick up a nice forward canter in the corner and then don't let him break back down to the trot before the fence. Maybe hes just not trying becuase they are too small so raise them up to 2-2'3 verticals and add a oxer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Pony Hunter on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Hunter

Postby Leena » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would just say your horse is wise; he simply realises those jumps are not high enough for him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is probably the kind of horse that never really get lost; those are fun to ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Azalee » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the oxer suggestion.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, maybe you could set up two poles in a V, with the apex of the V resting on the jump and the "arms" on the ground -- a kind of chute.  Sometimes this helps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
...........riiight.
Azalee

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, i'll try those tonight or tomorrow to let you how it goes, and if i'll need more help =)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HaleyK » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Azalee has the best idea !#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Free Jumping is a good excersice for horses that have problems picking up there feet over fences but it is also a confidence builder and an encouraging excercise for just having fun.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Use your voice to tell your horse his commands and just let him have fun. At his own pace.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl#Good Luck#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
May god grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can :-)
HaleyK
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pick up a forward canter before the jump, then keep the horse moving in it and give a cluck at the take off to give the horse a bit more "oomph".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Flyin' High » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i definately agree with the free jumping idea!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but i dont think that raising the jump height would hurt too much, if he refuses to jump the height you have now, then he's telling you its too small for him!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, i tried free jumping him, he loved it! But sadly the show tomorrow i can't bring him because he lost a shoe..So i'll just practice more on him. It would probably be better to practice then go straight into a show lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's too bad he lost his shoe- but it's true, no need to rush into anything with him and this just gives you more chances to practice. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#have you had a chance to try some of the suggestions yet?  I am curious if any worked for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried free jumping him, i found out today he lost ANOTHER SHOE where the hell is the farrier #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/6.gif"#ed_cl# hehe. And he has had foundered and laminitus..spelt that wrong i think. So his coffin bone is rotated and shoes help correct it. And now he has none so its hard to work with him. But suprisingly he is still sound which is amazing and is really good so we can start on new things. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When i was free jumping him, i was clicking and he starting to pick up his legs! Which is great =)Once he gets shoes i'll let everyone know how it goes... Theres a bunch of shows comming up. But i need to work on training i did an event today..well just the dressage...uhh the horse is a much better hunter horse!! ( not my horse..one im using for jumping / confidence ) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BBelleTB » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i hope you're not planning on doing any work with him, unless its hand walking, until he gets his shoes back on.   It would be bad to ride a shod horse, with no shoes, that DID NOT have leg problems already, never mind a horse who has a rotated cannon bone, founder and laminitis history.  Make sure your farrier is out ASAP and i would suggest leaving your guy in on stall rest until said farrier puts shoes back on him! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BBelleTB
Groupie
Groupie

Postby 2dapoint » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by 2dapoint on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 2dapoint » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Hunter/Jumper