Show Hunters vs. Field Hunters

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

Show Hunters vs. Field Hunters

Postby Mystic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the whole premise behind showing your horse in the hunters is to show the suitability of the horse for the hunt field, why is it a real field hunter isn't looked at?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The mare that I ride (the one in the avatar that some of you have seen in person) is by trade a field hunter. That is her primary purpose and what her owner does with her 6 months of the year. Her owner took her to some hunter trials recently where she finished in the top 4 of every class, even winning one with someone who had never been on her before that day. Why is it this ideal field hunter who should technically be placing in the hunter ring, never gets looked at and has to show in the jumpers instead.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I read an article in Practical Horseman a few months ago about what judges look for in a hunter and the person that wrote it specifically mentioned that the horse should look as if it could go from the show ring to the hunt field and yet my horse isn't even given a second glance. I even took her to a clinic with a top hunter trainer/judge before I started showing her and was told that she would never make a 'hunter' and had her referred to as a cart horse. and yet she was the sanest of the lot in the windy conditions we were forced to ride in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry for the rant but this has been bothering me for a while. It's not that I intend to show her hunters, since she's found her forte not only in the hunt field but in the jumper ring as well, finishing her schooling circuit 3rd overall.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
It's not the size of the horse that matters. It is the size of their heart.

Mystic

Postby Lix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good point Mystic... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't tested my horse much over jumps (well nothing over 2 feet) but she did low-level jumpers before I bought her so I'm sure she'd excel as a field hunter since she's bold, strong, and level-headed.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But we would probably get laughed at in the hunter ring.  She's not exactly what I would call 'graceful' and 'showy'.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Makes you wonder how the two disciplines are so far apart when they were infact created to represent the function of the other.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a good point. A woman who used to ride field hunters loved the draft crosses. She loved how sane they were and unflappable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's changed quite a bit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For instance, I believe there used to be rules about exactly what colours you wore, the number of braids even, and where your place was. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I too am confused. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Mystic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The mare I ride is a draft cross. She's a Clyde/Hackney and one of the most level headed horses I know and she has a heart of gold. She'll jump anything from almost anywhere and she is most definitely flashy if the looks I get at shows is anything to go by. She's solid black with 4 white socks, a star, stripe and a snip on her face and she gleams in the sun. Only thing is she tends to take after the hackney side of her breeding with a very long back and has the high knee action typical of both breeds, not the low daisy-cutter movement that seems to be the ideal these days but she'll jump the moon and leave the fences up. The only time she takes them down is because of something I did.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Leena » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You have a point here.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is why I am reluctant to show hunter simply because while it the horse should go from a hunter course to a hunter field, in fact I was never able to find out how judges rule their classes. Some results can be discusting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been in a couple of hunt in my life and back in the old days, there were a lot of draft cross not only because they are safe but also because hunt are very long days and needs a horse that save his energy during the day.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#From the reading I have made, they are talking about a horse that goes over the jump, round, fluent and keeps his way of going steadily through a course like if he was doing a hunting field course, without acceleration.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're absolutely right Mystic.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hunters are SUPPOSED to be based on a horse going out for a hunt- but it seems over time they have changed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It seems to be a trend type of thing, and even within trends there are trends (as in even the hunter trend of today, there are different trends that will come and go, and even in other disciplines too. My BO was telling me about the new western pleasure trends).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pony Hunter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well hackneys never do well in the hunter ring, as you know the judges hate the high knee action. You say your horse "will jump the moon" Does that mean she jumps big? That could be another reason why you don't pin well. A show hunter should have nice graceful  movment, nice square knees when jumping, nose slighly pointed out, calm, have a big stride to make the lines and look easy to ride. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ponyhunter, I know exactly what they look for in the hunter ring having shown them in the past. My point is that a true hunter, one that goes out with the hounds on hunts, won't get looked at even if she has a nice frame, nice round jump and very tidy square knees. When I say she'll jump the moon I mean that she will jump anything you put in front of her without question.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The hunter ring was developed to showcase the traits and qualities of the horses that would one day move into the hunt field and yet you enter any 'true' hunter into a hunter class and they don't even get looked at. I hate to tell the hunter judges this but all those lovely daisy cutter moving horses would trip on their noses out in the hunt field. My mom's horse has that movement and you put her on uneven ground and she trips.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it says a lot when a horse can go to hunter trials and place in the top four of every class they enter, most with a girl who hasn't ever been on the horse until that day, and yet they get ignored if they set foot in the 'hunter' ring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes Mystic your right the ture hunt horses don't do well in the accual hunter ring. Hey my mare wouldn't do well in a hunt, I think she would get too excited galloping out in the open with several other horses and dogs. But she excels in the Hunter ring. So I guess you just have to pick what you want to do and buy/lease the horse thats right for you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Lix » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pony Hunter - I'm sure Mystic knows that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think she is just pointing out that the sport you know as 'hunter' was actually derived from "field hunting".  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And that it's funny that a field hunter won't place well in a hunter class.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Doesn't make sense really.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Mystic » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You're right Lix, it doesn't make sense and I was just pointing out an inconsistency. My mare actually hated the hunter ring when I put her in it. Too boring for her and her mind tended to wander while on course so we tried the jumpers and she totally loves it. She's raring to go the minute she gets in the ring and is cantering the minute she hears the start whistle. She's a great horse and wouldn't give her up for anything.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Mystic

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 pm

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pony Hunter - I'm sure Mystic knows that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Well you must remember that I'm fairly new to this board and I don't know what all you've done #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Lix » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:45 pm

Pony Hunter wrote:
Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pony Hunter - I'm sure Mystic knows that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Well you must remember that I'm fairly new to this board and I don't know what all you've done #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pony hunter - my apologies.  I didn't mean it to sound condescending like that.  I don't know Mystic's background either, lol.  I was just trying to convey that her message wasn't concerning why her mare doesn't to well in the hunters but rather #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#why #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#the hunter criteria is the way it is.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry if it sounded patronizing - I promise I didn't mean to.  *sweet smile*.  Your input is as valuable as everyone else's. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Pony Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its okay Lix, I just wasn't sure what you really ment. The first time I read Mytics thread I thought she was asking why her mare wasn't doing well but now as I've re-read the post thats really not what it was at all. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//happy.gif"#ed_cl# My mistake. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Return to Hunter/Jumper