New Saddle for New Discpline

Chat about training tips and exercises, fave riders, clinics and shows

Moderator: EC

New Saddle for New Discpline

Postby EatMyDust » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Next Year Im starting Hunter Hack at my saddle club. Its a big step for me, because I do western games. I need to buy a new saddle because my old one is just so crappy, and it makes me feel like Im riding a wooden plank. I dont have much money, and Ill probally get a used one. Does anyone know what kind of brand I should be looking at that will make me feel safe! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby chenders01 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I would go for a good, used leather one.  Or a Wintec (synthetic).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as what saddle will make you feel "safe", going from western to english, you *will* feel less secure at first, since the english saddles are waaaay smaller and there's no horn to hang onto.  But once you get used to the feel, and that there's less saddle surrounding you, you should be fine.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not sure if Wintec makes an A/P saddle with the Equisuede or not.  I have the Wintec Isabell which is a dressage saddle, and it's made with Equisuede which is really sticky...particularly if you ride in full-seat breeches or full chaps.  If you want to feel really secure in the saddle, go for the Equisuede.  You stick to it like glue!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know about the Equisuede, but I knew someone who had a synthetic close contact saddle. They're out there!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are worried about security, get an A/P. That will hold you in more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a wintec with a gullet change system which helps you out incase you want to get another horse and it has air pannels and seat! I love it very nice saddle and they arent highly priced $$$#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#adjustable gullet= great!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your doing hunter wow lol. Umm even at greenhawk or something their saddles arn't great but if your not looking to go way out they would be fine#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Agreed with the used saddle. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're making the transition, go with an all purpose. If you go to the tack store, usually they have good quality used ones on consignment. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby babytigger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes, totally go with a decent used saddle. i think an AP would be best.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was at the tack shop today and asked if I could trade my saddles for a new one...they said yes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im sure some of you are wondering why am I going to do something, if I dont feel comfortable in the saddle. Well Dusty has amazing potential as a jumper, and I want to take him there...so Im going to try this out, work out this problem, and have a blast of a time!lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Postby Champ » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#Do not buy a saddle from green hawk. The only good ones you can get from there are the pessoa, HDR and other ones that cost like over $1000 if you get the no name brand the spine will break asap!! mine did, and so did my two other friends!!! so I would suggest not getting it. Its good for about 6 months or so then it goes all down hill!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't get a HDR, those saddles are crap! Look into a Wintec or a quality used saddle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Champ » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#8000ff size=2#ed_cl#Wow, you are the first person I ever heard saying a HDR is crap :P lol, I dont like wintec tho lol just my preference#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Champ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, you have never heard that before?!?! I'd MUCH rather have a Wintec than a  cardbaord saddle that will only last 6 months.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Dominus that came from Greenhawk, but its a name brand. Its been a great saddle so far. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Return to Hunter/Jumper