BABY!!

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

BABY!!

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, she finally had it! My pony mare that was bred to a donkey (not on purpose...long story) finally had her foal!! He's a beautiful bay mule colt, very friendly and bouncy! He loves to "run" around the stall and buck....it's cute! I will post pictures later this aft. but I wanted to spread my excitement!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hev339 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 am

Congrats Perfect Angel! #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Happy/17.gif"#ed_cl#
Hev339
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, here are the pictures of the new little guy...we call him Trouble, but I'm not sure if that's his permanente name, or just for now. He certainly is energetic though, bucking all over!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/ShezaPerfectAngel/Baby002.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/ShezaPerfectAngel/Baby011.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aaaaaa - he's adorable!!!  So so cute - congratulations on a healthy arrival!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby dressagenap » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aww, he's absolutely adorable!&nbsp; He looks great :)&nbsp; I think he's one of the first mule foals&nbsp;that I've seen, too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby MacnRio » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HAHAHA, he's so cute!&nbsp; Thanks for sharing!&nbsp; He's awesome! So, just curious, how big should he get? Any ideas?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ooh, how cute. A pony mule, what a neat little guy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Our donkey was our cutest baby ever, he was like a little stuffed toy. It's too bad our baby pictures of him are only on 35mm. Of course, by the time he was a yearling he was a real danger, but since he's been gelded he is much better and is a great buddy for the foals. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A word of advice: handle the back feet regularly and as much as possible. I have had donkeys that don't kick, but donkeys and mules do come by their reputation as kickers honestly!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, he's energetic for sure...he's taken to bucking, but so far he can't actually get up very high, although I's sure that will change quickly. Thanks for the advice Ruth, I need all I can get, this is my first mule (never had a donkey either). Mac, I think he'll probably stay under 14.2, but who knows!! The dad was a yearling (yes yearling, he's an OOPS...) but his owners figured he'd finish about 15 hh. and my pony is barely 14hh. He's definitely a big boy for her first baby, but all went well, so that's good.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby PerfectAngel » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We've decided to name the little monster Ernie...it's a long story, but to make it short, my step-father's brother (Ernie) didn't believe that my pony was actually pregnante, but everyone else thought she was, so we said if it's a boy we're calling it Ernie because he's as stubborn as a mule....lol...so now he's got a little monster named after him!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Besides handling the back legs, the main thing with my jack donkey was getting him gelded ASAP. I'm not sure about mules, I've never had one and the horse influence may mellow them a little, but my donkey was downright dangerous from the time he was 10 months old. I have heard of jack donkeys putting people in the hospital and I believe it. He would come at us with the front feet and teeth or spin and try and kick your face in. Before the hormones kicked in he was great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Marty_Jones » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aw he's SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl#Congrats#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 am

I have to say it, he's gorgeous!!!! I really think that he is lovely, very cute!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
About the hormones thing...I don't know a lot about mules and donkeys....but I thought that a mule was sterile.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
horse mare + donkey sire = jack mule, I think? I think the jacks have a donkey front end and a horse back end?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
donkey mare + horse sire = jenny mule, I think? Jenny has a horse front end and a donkey back end?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I could also be totally out to lunch, but that's what I thought!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Donkeys are lovely creatures, but I agree about handling their feet a
lot. They tend to be hard to trim(kicking) and stubborn about it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I know you can ride mules, and there are some people that love
them...they compete in the Spruce Meadows "Battle of the Breeds" and do
quite well. (the battle of the breeds has teams competing in barrel
racing, driving, show jumping, and trail class....the top breed is
chosen based on how they do at the different components...for the last
few years appies have won...but Morgans and connemara's...and Canadians
(the breed...not the "Canadian warmblood") have won. Mules do quite
well, especially in barrel racing and trail, I've heard)#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby PerfectAngel » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I see what everyone means about the back legs thing...he likes to kick his mom when she nips him for being too rough....GD, Mules are sterile, but they still have raging hormones like any other species, si I've heard. Anyways, he's definitely a monster, and very daring. We went for a walk in the aisle today and he strayed fairly far from mom for just 2 days old! Still not sure what were gonna do with him (sell, keep, ??) but he's fun for now!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A male donkey or mule is a jack.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A female donkey or mule is a jenny.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD, what you are thinking of is whether the animal is a mule or a hinny.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think donkey dad and&nbsp;horse mom is a mule and the opposite is a hinny, but I could be wrong.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:18 pm

LOL! That could be it, Ruth. The reason why I included a "disclaimer"
cuz I'm probably clueless. LOL. Thanks for correcting me there!
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Maddie » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He's Adorable, Congratulations!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Maddie
Newbies
Newbies

Postby stephanie1 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just a question cause I was thinkin.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Would&nbsp;a mule make an heehaaa noise cause its 1/2 donkey??????????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Bolton,Ontario
stephanie1
Groupie
Groupie

Postby PerfectAngel » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks guys, he is really a brat....but sweet and cute too! Stephanie, I haven't heard this little guy make any noises yet, but I am told (and correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that they make a noise in between what a donkey makes and the whinny of a horse. It's apparently very funny....can't wait to hear it!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Breeding Discussion