Fall Foaling

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Fall Foaling

Postby Kobau » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:52 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok where we live it is hell to foal in the spring, the ground is just starting to thaw ans be mucky when the poor farts are born and then we have nasty bugs (namely horses have to come in at 5-6 am and go out when it is dark again)  So we are looking at changing so we foal in the fall. So that the babies are born in aug/sept and our bug season is pretty much done then, the grass is good and we can have them out more. Plus since the foals would be wb/tb, and a wb/morgan we are likely to wati till they are close to 4 before we start them so the later in the year foaling wouldn't affect that..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone else have experience with foaling in the fall? I know we definitely prefer to calve in the fall.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby PerfectAngel » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where I used to board they had a filly in september last year, and my filly was born in September as well (that was an oops though....lol). It worked well, the foals didn't have to contend with bugs, excess heat, etc. but winter comes much faster...depending on when they're born, they are often big enough to go out for X hours in the winter, but sometimes they are still too little. It also means that when you go to train them, it'll most likely be in the winter, but then again you have nice snow to fall on! That's what I have to look forward to this winter. Also, for selling purposes, some people don't like haveing later foals because they are the youngest/least advanced in the classes....especially for pre-green classes, sometimes people would rather have an earlier foal so that they can have more training/experience by the time the show season comes around.....anyways, this is all JMO, so feel free to agree/disagree.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree - it all depends on the winter.  I can totally see your point about spring muck and summer bugs too.  I think foaling at any time of the year is okay, so long as momma is getting adequate nutrition (which is easier with grass).  On the other side, you have to think of momma too, all huge and ready to foal, in the summer heat, getting eaten by bugs (I say this because my sister was pregnant during the summer time, and it wasn't pretty).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As long as you have good hay, mid to late summer foaling may indeed work best for you.  The foal won't get the goodness of grass it's first year, because by the time it starts over to solid food, the grass will be done.  That's the only drawback I can see.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby SPYDER » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is a rescue farm of sorts that had a foal in Dec.and it survived&nbsp; Up near Fleisherton area.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here are pictures#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://client.webshots.com/album/146071593IogPTA"#ed_cl#http://client.webshots.com/album/146071593IogPTA#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#http://client.webshots.com/photo/146071593/146080770UMySdm#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#well i know what you mean Jax with poor mom a preg in the heat my sisters were preg during the summer a few tiimes... but thankfully our barn stays quite cool in the summer, combo of high ceilings, lots of air flow and the floors staying rather chilly plus at least we can hose and cool the dears down even more... We have our own hay, top notch natural grass hay, we hay about 400 acres and it has tested quite well on nutritional quality, plus we feed extra to those that need it. namely the mommas. and while the spring grass would be nice for the foals, we know that they'd only see it for max 6 hrs a night if we had a good night and they got to go out at 11 and come back in at five. Many times it is out at 12 and in at 4"30 depending on the bugs,&nbsp; not get to really see daylight worries me since sunlight is so important to bodies....and i really prefer those foals be out as much as is possible for them.&nbsp; #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I know we have always prefered fall calving with our cattle in order to miss out on alot of the bugs and it worked nice.... also saved losing calf ears to frostbite etc if they came a lil earlier than planned..#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#We've had a couple "winter babies" one mare foaled end of Dec and another end of feb( sillly mares determined to be bred broke a fence to the stud, only reason i know the mares broke it was i saw it happen in the one case!)#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But any other input is greatly apprectiated#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Breeding Discussion