Mare needs prayers!

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Mare needs prayers!

Postby countercanter » Sun May 22, 2005 10:42 am

Our mare finally foaled after 17 days overdue and the colt is HUGE!!!!!!! I dont mean average big, I mean he looks like he is almost 2months old already! Our poor mare is having a very rough time and we almost lost her last night, the vet is doing an awesome job and she is on 24 hour watch, meds, fluids, the whole 9 yards. Her small intestine was twisted and it is a miracle she survived the night, she was going into shock and her gums were purple, her extremities were ice cold and she was starting to shake, we are not out of the woods yet, but I am hopeful since she made it through the night and is nibbling a mash and bits of hay. She is being great with the foal who needed help getting up with those huge joints of his and legs for miles. If all goes well, I am going to call him Frances since I have been praying to St. Frances of Assisi, he loved animals.
anyway, sorry for rambling, I just needed someone outside of our circle to to *unload* on. Thanks for listening.
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Sun May 22, 2005 4:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hang in there!  It is amazing how resilient they can be.  It is quite on shock on their system and they can sometimes colic.  Remember that huge baby took up so much space...hopefully in time she will get herself back to normal.  My last filly was a giant baby too...her legs were very long and we called her Spyder.  Stay strong...!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eclipse » Mon May 23, 2005 6:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My thoughts are with you and your mare! I hope that your vet's and your good care will pay of and that you're mare will be up and running around happily in no time!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~off all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most~
Eclipse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby countercanter » Mon May 23, 2005 11:21 am

Thank-you so much for your well wishes. Unfortunately, our mare did not make it, and we made the difficult decision to stop her suffering.
The colt is doing as well as can be expected and we are trying to get he and the nurse mare to accept one another. So far, she is letting him nurse while being heavily sedated, so our fingers are double crossed.
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Mon May 23, 2005 7:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too bad Counter canter, really too bad for your mare. I hope your baby will do well and I am sending you big hugs and lots of jingles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby countercanter » Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 am

We had to get a percheron nurse mare, the TB mare did not have enough milk and dried up. Our colt has nursed off of her and she has tons of milk, so he should start doing better soon.
My kids ( and I ) are very upset about losing our mare, but we are consoling ourselves with this beautiful colt that she left in our care. He is very friendly, because he is being handled so much and has had to depend on people for his survival. thanks again for the jingles.
countercanter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse » Tue May 24, 2005 8:36 am

My condoleances on the loss of your mare! I hope that your nurse mare will accept and nurture the little boy so that he will get a good start in life.
~off all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most~
Eclipse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Wed May 25, 2005 4:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, that's so sad. Sorry for the loss of your mare.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Sun May 29, 2005 2:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am so sorry to hear about your mare.  It sounds like your lovely colt is adjusting very well with his nurse mare.  Her legacy will live on through the colt....focus your attention on him!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Shoal » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:34 am

I’m SO sorry CC! That must have been a very hard choice to make.

the miracle of birth is not always a golden path in both animal and human life. But the gifts that are left behind are something to always be treasured.
Shoal

Return to Breeding Discussion