Height of Stallion....

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Height of Stallion....

Postby Teensy » Tue May 24, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This year ive breed my 14. 2 quater horse mare to a 15.2 welsh stallion. And next breeding season i was hoping to get a bigger foal. What are your opions of max. height of stallion in concern of heal concerns of mare. I dont want her to have trouble with the birthing because the foal will be so big.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby jax » Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The foal will only grow as big as it can while inside the womb, only as large as the mare can handle, so I wouldn't worry.  Any growing will occur after the foal is on the ground.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oops - double#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eclipse » Wed May 25, 2005 2:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm with Jax... and I know bigger differences that have gone perfectly well because it&nbsp;works as Jax says it does. So I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~off all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most~
Eclipse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Wed May 25, 2005 4:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My vet always likes to tell the story of an experiment that was done breeding Shetlands and Shires (AI of course!). The ones out of Shetland mares were born Shetland size and the ones out of the Shire mares were born Shire size. He said the unfortunate thing was that they didn't track the finished height of the foals. Now, with that being said we have one mare who has enormous foals, and I won't be breeding her to anything over 16.2 in the future in the hopes that we don't get the "crookednesses" this last little girl had, which were caused by the fact she was too big.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

babies

Postby Hope03 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:28 pm

My neighbour bred her 14.2hh QH mare to an 18.1hh Percheron live cover. Yes the baby can grow no larger than what the mare can handle, mother nature takes care of itself. I felt bad for the mare though lol. Now the filly 2years old has the body of a percheron but the height of a QH. She is gorgeous though, beautiful black coat on her too.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Canadian mare, 15 hands, that we bred to a 16.3 stallion. I would be carefull on the size because on the delivery it was tough. The foal's shoulders were large and stuck into the mare, so I had to help her which is quite unusual for this mare. Also she did not eat for 2 days after delivery.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#During the pregnancy, I kept a closed eye, not to feed her too much and even at the end I had to cut back because baby was really big.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So for you mare, I would not go over 16 hands stallion and don't choose a too big one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Breeding Discussion