sizing yearlings

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

sizing yearlings

Postby shady222 » Mon May 30, 2005 11:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#how do you determine with a draft cross how tall and what color they will be when they are older? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ex1 say you have a dark brown in summer/ black in winter yearling 12hh#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ex2. light brown, mousy color- 13hh yearling#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ex.3 same as 1st but 14hh?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eclipse » Tue May 31, 2005 6:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I only know one method to measure what the expected size of a horse will be... but according to my vet that only works when a horse is (at least) 2 years old. (Maybe because the legs will pretty much be fully grown then) If you would like to know this method I will do my best to explain it to you...#ed_op#IMG align=absMiddle border=0 class=buttons onclick="FormatText('editor', 'smile', '')" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border='1px solid #EFEBEF';" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF'; this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/buttons/insertsmile.gif" style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #efebef 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #efebef 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #efebef 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #efebef 1px solid" title="Insert your emotions"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=smile_editor#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=smile_editor#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~off all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most~
Eclipse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Tue May 31, 2005 7:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Height often depends on parentage.  Colour usually is known the Spring of their yearling year when they shed out.  The mousy brown often sheds out black.  I breed Hanoverian crosses and my yearling is a seal brown....her half brother was black like the sire.  She is easily over 14.2H and very elegant.  I am assuming she will easily reach the 16.2H+ area.  Sire was 17.2H and dam was a solid 16H.  Some drafts have been know to stay on the smaller size...your 12H has some catching up to do.  Look to their ancestors for height.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#I swear by the measurement of the cannon bone - #ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#from the centre of the knee to the hairline at the coronet band. #ed_op#SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"#ed_cl# #ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl#16 ½ inches = 16.2hh, 15 ¼ inches = 15.1hh#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Every full grown horse I have measured has fit this formula exactly and my yearling shows me she’s going to be 16 hh even. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl# #ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Measure some full grown horses first so you can find where the centre of the knee is. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Breeding Discussion