Breeding Fee Poll (for my school project)

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Breeding Fee Poll (for my school project)

Postby grey_qh_hunter » Tue May 31, 2005 1:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey guys..I'm currently doing a project for my business class where we have to "start" a business. I'm doing a QH breeding barn and I was wondering if you could reply to my poll. The choices are below:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How much would you be willing to pay to breed to a stallion with good lines?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#a)$200-$300#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#b)$300-$500#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#c)$500-$700#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#d)$700-$900#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#e)$900-$1000#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#f)$1000-$1500#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#g)$1500+#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
grey_qh_hunter
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Tue May 31, 2005 2:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I don't breed QH's, I breed sport horses/ponies, and I know fees vary from breed to breed. I notice a difference in fees between the horses and the ponies. What I'm willing to spend depends on the quality of the mare. For example I'm not going to go to the expense of doing frozen semen from Flemmingh or Briar on my TB/QH X mare, even though she does produce lovely foals. I look for the best match for her, and look for deals, ie. stallion auctions or specials. This year she's going to Art Deco because I got a good deal, if I had had to pay the full stud fee she wouldn't be. Another thing I have done in the past is take a chance on a young stallion who isn't yet approved. I did this with Rasputin and got him for half the fee he's at now. It's a bit of a gamble, but I figured he wouldn't have any problems getting his approvals and he didn't. For an approved stallion I will pay up to $2500 if the mare warrants it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The ponies are quite a bit less, even proven pony stallions like Wicked Courtjester or Makuba are $1,000 US. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TB racehorses on the other hand.... Take out a mortgage.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:13 am

Where I'm from QH's are a dime a dozen and everyone has a QH stud. I
wouldn't be willing to pay more than $200 - $300 for the stud fee.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
That and I believe a horse is way more what you make of it than bloodlines...you can't ride a set of papers.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, GD, but papers are a factor when you are selling foals. Maybe not so much a started horse when you can see what you've got. I know most of the boarders where Boomer is couldn't even tell you their horses sire, although most of them are papered.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:15 pm

Ruth wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The ponies are quite a bit less, even proven pony stallions like Wicked Courtjester or Makuba are $1,000 US. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We've got a Wicked Courtjester baby coming soon! (Mom's a little overdue, actually, but she was overdue last year, too, and had an absolutely GORGEOUS Wicked Courtjester foal.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Breeding Discussion