WB babies...

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Postby High Hopes » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Abbey..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not a breeder but have had WB babies.. spefically 2 yr olds mostly that have grown up.  Beau (High Hopes) was around 15.3 as 2.5 yrs of age he finished 16.2 and a half (so just shy of 16.3hh).  Brae the next one.. well she is STILL growing.  She was a BIG girl at around your boy's age. She was around 16.1 ish around 2.6 yrs of age.  I *think* Cathy (new mom) said she is now coming near 17hh mark.  Her mom was 16.3 and dad was 16.1hh but they feel his growth was stunted as he did not have the best start in life.  His lineage is roughly 16.3-17hh.   Simon when I purchased him as 5 yr old was 16.1hh and now as a 6 y/o he is just around 16.3, but his legs are not closed yet #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl#.  Not overly suprising as Beau did not totally finish until he was around 7.  I normally expect 2-2.5 inches from the time they are 2 and half- 3 yrs of age if this helps?  Just from experience from my ponies.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Before I loved horses I had nothing to live for, Now I love horses and can't stop seeing things to live for. God bless the Creature that is so noble they make me feel ALIVE!!
High Hopes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dream_Merchant » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#Warmbloods will mature very late - my stallion had a growth spirt at 7!! He went from 16.1hh to 16.2hh.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The string from the elbow to the fetlock is usually a good way to see how big they will get. But usually when they are five or six you can say they aren't going to get much bigger than they are. And they always go through a seriously "ugly" stage... *hides her yearlings away*... hidious!! hahaha... but they grow out of that... their like ugly ducklings, that grow into swans.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Abbey » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for you replies HH and DreamMerchant!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did the string test on him and it says 16.3-17hh... I talked to his breeder too and she says his half-sister had about the same growth patern and she's about 17hh so she really expects my guy to finish about the same thing. So we'll see! In any event, I'd much rather have a 16.2hh then a 17.2hh... That's just a whole lot of horse to collect!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dreammerchant - lol I can really relate to that whole ugly phase... My guy's hind legs have been worrying me sick for the last year or so. He looked completely cow-hocked, which he was NOT as a baby. I can see now he's really straightening out and although he's still *close* behind, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be and I'm sure it'll only get better as he builds the inner thigh muscles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Abbey
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The string test we used at 3 weeks was to measure from fetlock to elbow and double that. Then add the measurement from fetlock to the ground. It shows that Benji will be a whopping 12 hh. He's the first one I've ever tried it on, so we'll see.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't measured Leah, but I would say she's 13.2 ish at 3 1/2 months. She's gonna be a whopper!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Dream_Merchant » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:18 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
Abbey -- he should grow out of that, especially since he wasn't cow-hocked as a baby. Like you said, once those inner thigh muscles really develop, it will strengthen him up and push open his hind legs more.

I hope we get to see pictures soon hey?!?!?!?!?</I></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Previous

Return to Breeding Discussion