WB babies...

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

WB babies...

Postby Abbey » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#for those of you who have had WB babies... I'm just wondering about how tall my guy will finish. And I do know it's just estimates!!! He's 15.2hh in the front and 15.3hh in the butt at 23 months (so a month shy of his 2nd birthday). His mom is 16.2hh and his dad is 17hh. His half-sister is presently about 17.1hh at 5yo and her sire was 16.2hh. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I imagine he'll finish somewhere between 16.2hh and 17hh... would that make sense?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Abbey
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#15.2hh at 2y/o? Hm.. We've got two warmblood yearlings at 15.2, and we figure they'll end up around 17hh-17.1hh. Sooo.. I guess anywhere between 16.1 and 16.3?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at 2 years my girl was about 16.2 and now at 4 she is still growing back end is 17.3 front 17.2 ish.  So yeah I'd say possibly 16.2 ish...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby shady222 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ill defeat the odds and say your colt may reach 17hh as warmbloods do grow till they are 6, no matter how many people tell me they don't :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:04 am

shady222 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ill defeat the odds and say your colt may reach 17hh as warmbloods do grow till they are 6, no matter how many people tell me they don't :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#they do but they slow down quite a bit at 3 and 4 years old.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Positively4thStreet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:31 pm

zooka wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at 2 years my girl was about 16.2 and now at 4 she is still growing back end is 17.3 front 17.2 ish.  So yeah I'd say possibly 16.2 ish...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, that's a big girl!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:44 am

Positively4thStreet wrote:
zooka wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at 2 years my girl was about 16.2 and now at 4 she is still growing back end is 17.3 front 17.2 ish.  So yeah I'd say possibly 16.2 ish...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow, that's a big girl!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yeah we were hoping for 16.2 - 16.3 but she took after her mom and not her dad!  BUT she is a huge suck and great to work with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Abbey » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well that's what I've been figuring... his breeder has said 16.3hh-ish from the beginning. considering he will be 15.3hh by the time he's 2yo, I figure that sounds about right. Give or take an inch.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Two of my good friends breed hanoverians and they've all grown until they were 6. One mare growing an inch between 5 and 6! And the other two were about 15.2-15.3hh at 2yo and they're now 4, and they look like they'll finish in the 16.3hh-17hh range. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, I'd rather have a 16.2hh horse to collect for dressage than a 17.2hh... #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Abbey
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he's two now, have you tried a string test?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Abbey » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:10 pm

jax wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If he's two now, have you tried a string test?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Because that would be too simple!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Jax, I'll try it out of curiosity! It's from the point of the elbow to the middle of the ankle right?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Abbey
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby jax » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oui!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#how do you do that? do you muliply the end result by something?? I have a 22mth old boy and i'd like to know appx how big he'd get! any pics?( i work well with those).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby jax » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Megan, take some string and put it at the point of the elbow (let's say hold it in your right hand), then run it to the bottom of the fetlock with your left hand.&nbsp; Then, holding your right hand in the same spot at the elbow, bring your left hand up above the whithers, keeping your hand in the same spot on the string as where it was at the fetlock.&nbsp; In theory, the height that your left hand ends up being will be how high the horse will grow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does that make any sense?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby AQHAgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sound confusing I always heard you could do elbow (space in knee) to fetlock#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#or elbow (space in knee) to withers#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and both should come to almost the same measurement which would be future height.&nbsp; so if you get something like 14.75 inches the&nbsp; horse will be 14.3hh#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok so I string tested my pmu boy Blaze and I figure he'll end up 15"3 - 16HH, but I don't have a measuring stick. but i did take aqhrgirl note and measured the string and it came out to 29 1/2" . So what would that turn out to be? About what I figured or am I way out in left field here???#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley29.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Megan Ball » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok now I really think I screwed up on that one! ( where's the head bonking smiley when you need it!) Ok so I went back out there and measured from his elbow to his knee and came out with 17"!!!!!!!!!! Am I still doing this wrong or is he gonna be HUGE!!!!!!!!???????????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby shady222 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the most accurate one i have found...measuring all the horses already at there mature height is, measuring from the coronary band to the center of the knee and how many inches is between there is how many hands they will be. I found with the older horses that flipping the string told me they were still going to grow more and thats not possible with 8-30 year old horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway i did the test on my colt and it said he would be 16.5 hands..is that 16.2? man he has a lot of growing to do :P#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jax » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:10 am

shady222 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found with the older horses that flipping the string told me they were still going to grow more and thats not possible with 8-30 year old horses.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#That's why it's not really effective unless the horse is around 2 years old.&nbsp; But I've never heard of that other way - I'll have to keep that one in mind.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby shady222 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe yup, i found it to be more accurate even with the older horses. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe yup, i found it to be more accurate even with the older horses. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to Breeding Discussion