Broodmare pricing

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Broodmare pricing

Postby Chisholm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What type of price could one get for a quarter horse maiden mare as a broodmare?  Looks like she has good bloodlines, but I don't know 1/4 horse breeding at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will be contacting 1/4 horse breeders in our area to find out more, I was just curious to see what people on here say.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where I used to board they bred QH's for reining and cutting. I find QH people are very bloodline oriented...and that different bloodlines are in vogue at different times for different things. The more they are willing to pay for a certain bloodline if it's popular.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At my old barn they liked bloodlines and ability best. The mare had to be capable of doing some reining before they would breed her to rein, no matter what her papers said.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But some QH breeders I know breed mostly on bloodlines and looks. They pick the colours that are in style, and the ones with the type of build that seems to sell, a halter look. But they also cross to some TB to get barrell racers and babies for the odd English rider. But their emphasis is mostly on look and bloodlines. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where I used to board they bred QH's for reining and cutting. I find QH people are very bloodline oriented...and that different bloodlines are in vogue at different times for different things. The more they are willing to pay for a certain bloodline if it's popular.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At my old barn they liked bloodlines and ability best. The mare had to be capable of doing some reining before they would breed her to rein, no matter what her papers said.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But some QH breeders I know breed mostly on bloodlines and looks. They pick the colours that are in style, and the ones with the type of build that seems to sell, a halter look. But they also cross to some TB to get barrell racers and babies for the odd English rider. But their emphasis is mostly on look and bloodlines. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby 2dapoint » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A few questions come to mind.. the first being "why a broodmare?"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By putting that designation on her, it intimates that that is *all* she's being sold for.  In some cases (fabulous bloodlines, distinctive show career, accidental injury) that may be a plus.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But if she's a horse that no-one has ever been ABLE to ride, or has lousy conformation, or is 28 years old... see what I mean?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why are you looking (or your friend) to sell her as a broodmare?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sugar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For Pasos, generally they have already dropped a good quality foal on the ground before we call them a broodmare instead of filly or mare.  After all, unless she has foaled, you have no idea of what or if she is capable of successfully carrying full term in the way of healthy quality foals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I sold a broodmare with excellant conformation for decent remuneration.  Prior to that I traded her first foal for a high quality mare which I had previously trained.  That colt is now a herd stallion at a breeding farm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Pricing a Brood Mare...

Postby Shades » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#I agree with Sugar.  Before U can 'safely' call a mare a Brood mare, she has to have produced something.  That being said.....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#I think that a good brood mare is worth her weight in gold.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#There are so many things to take into account.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare catch easily?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare carry easily?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Do U have to give any 'special' care??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare foal easily with no complications??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare produce lots of milk??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#[The more milk....the better the mare in my opinion.]#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare care for her foal well??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Does the mare catch easily with a foal at her side, for rebreedings?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#All of these things are very important.  U can have the best bred mare on the planet, but if she doesn't produce enough milk, or low quality milk for her foal....what good is she??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Or if she catches easy, etc, but once the foal gets here, she doesn't care for it well, and leaves it often...same thing.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#JMHO.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#40007f size=4#ed_cl#Good luck with all this.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shades
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Breeding Discussion