Retained Follicle

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Retained Follicle

Postby Finch » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#007f40#ed_cl#Just wondering if anyone else is seeing more retained follicles this breeding season?According to my vet she has had more than her share and is still working on getting a number of mares in foal, including mine. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#007f40#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#007f40#ed_cl#We'll know next week when she's comes back to ultasound again.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Finch
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was really lucky this year my mare took right away... which is unusual for her.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Finch » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#007f40#ed_cl#Congratulations Zooka  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Finch
Newbies
Newbies

Breeding frustrations

Postby sugar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mare has been out for breeding for over a month now.  She was supposed to be field bred by a young stallion of suitable bloodlines (to die for actually :)  ), and we weren't sure he did his job while she was obviously in heat.  She never came back into heat for the next cycle though.  We put her in with an older stallion with even better bloodlines and a body type to suit hers and she also appeared to not be in heat or go into heat during that period.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So we had a vet out and he forgot his gloves and couldn't palpate her so now we have to pay the visit fee again and exam fee to see if she took.  :(  It is not her regular vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is the normal fee for palpation  and visit near Belleville?  Also is there a recommended/preferred horse vet in this area?  This one seems to not be totally on the ball.  The office staff were no great heck either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to get her confirmed as preggers and get her home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#edited:  this was supposed to be a  new post?? Oh well....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby zooka » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So FInch are the mares pregnant?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Finch » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl#Zooka - thanks for the inquiry. One confirmed in foal & one to go#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl#Bf's mare was confirmed in foal 2 weeks ago. We finally got my mare in heat and had her bred this week. We had to give a shot to help her shed the retained follicle and then another to bring her into heat. The breeding was successful, now to wait and see if she caught and if she carries to term. That's never been a problem before but she is getting older and has developed an number of cysts which could get in the way. Fingers crossed! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl#The vet usually ultrasounds anytime after 15 days but wants to wait until 21 days to make sure. We decided this would be the last try for this season anyway.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl#Sugar - With our vet the palapation is covered in the farm call and an ultrasound is $55. I like to splurge on the ultrasound rather than counting on a palpation error. A year is a long time to waste to find out there was an error. No guarantee their going to carry to term but better to know assap. Good luck.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Finch
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Baxter gets her 60 day check on Monday, but if all is well, then I consider myself lucky. I'm not sure if there was an above average number of problems this year, or if the Internet means we hear about more! On the first exam she had a 40mm follicle, got semen and bred her the next day. Didn't bother with a follow-up ultrasound to check for ovulation because if she hadn't there was no way to get semen over the weekend anyway. Confirmed in foal at 14 days (mare has a history of twinning), with a heartbeat at 30 days. So if she's still knocked up, that's the fewest vet visits to get a mare in foal ever for me!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Finch » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#007f40#ed_cl#Well Ruth - how did the check up go yesterday?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Finch
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#that is awesome glad to hear everything is working out so far!!!  Sugar my mare has a history of twins and so she was done at about 13 or 14 days...  Looked everywhere and there was only the one.  Then for our contract we had to have a regular "first" check-up at 19 days and low and behold there was a twin :S  It had been hiding on us!!  We managed to pinch one out and luckily there were no side effects, she is now on day 102 and going strong so we are happy.  SHe has started neighing to her tummy which she has done in her previous pregnancy, it is so cute to watch!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Still in foal. Yaay!!! Of course it's a long time till foaling. Now I have to work out her due date.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what is the exact formula for working it out?  the one i have gone by is 340 days, is that what you use?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use 340 days too. This mare has never been more than 5 days off of that. Only problem is I can't remember her exact breeding date. I do have it written on the calendar at home, and I think it was June 17th that she would have ovulated, but might be off by a week, so I'll have to check when I get home. However, I don't usually remember to do this until I am at work.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Breeding Discussion