Breeding frustrations & vet problem

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Breeding frustrations & vet problem

Postby sugar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN class=postbody#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=1#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mare has been out for breeding for over a month now.  She was supposed to be field bred by a young stallion of suitable bloodlines (to die for actually #ed_op#IMG alt=Smile src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif" border=0#ed_cl#  ), and we weren't sure he did his job while she was obviously in heat.  She never came back into heat for the next cycle though.  We put her in with an older stallion with even better bloodlines and a body type to suit hers and she also appeared to not be in heat or go into heat during that period.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So we had a vet out and he forgot his gloves and couldn't palpate her so now we have to pay the visit fee again and exam fee to see if she took.  #ed_op#IMG alt=Sad src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif" border=0#ed_cl#(  It is not her regular vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is the normal fee for palpation  and visit near Belleville?  Also is there a recommended/preferred horse vet in this area?  This one seems to not be totally on the ball.  The office staff were no great heck either.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just want to get her confirmed as preggers and get her home.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are in the Belleville area then I would highly recommend Kingston Equine Hospital#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They service all the way to Brighton, Shannon & Shaun have always done a fantastic job for us.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#613-354-0999#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sounds ridiculous.&nbsp; The people managing these stallions should have a GOOD repro vet.&nbsp; What vet forgets gloves....LOL!&nbsp; I would think even pasture breeding you check the mare to see if she is cycling.&nbsp; In future when you send her out to do live cover you could needle her into season and know the almost exact day she should come in.&nbsp; Or send her out as soon as she is in season.&nbsp; I don't like pasture breeding...you just never know.&nbsp; It is best to have someone manage the mare and have someone manage the stallion.&nbsp; Palpating alone is often not enough...have her ultra sound.&nbsp; Palpating could be around $60.&nbsp; Fingers crossed for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I totally agree with Patricia on this and I would suggest you to have your mare check prior to breeding because she might have a retained yellow body (corps jaune) that stop heat cycle. By doing the injection, this help heat cycle to come back.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Aso, did you get a health certificate on stallion ? Some of them has infection they can pass on the mare and this is not good for fertility.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About the vet forgetting his gloves; this is truly unprofessionnal. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had my basket of bad experience with vets and breeding...I am dealing with a breeding farm and so far, it is 100% pregnancy rate with no disease or problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the vet was only called out for the mare to be checked you shouldn't get a bill. Dr's in any profession should always have gloves! If he/she came out for another thing as well then I would expect a call out fee, but if the mare was the only reason and you get a bill I personally would fight it as it was the vet's fault for forgetting GLOVES of all things!!! JMO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby sugar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We knew she was in heat the first time we put her in with the stallion, no one saw her being bred though.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;She was left with him 24/7 for a week as he is a really nice gentleman as well.&nbsp; The second stallion, another real gentleman was in with her during what should have been her heat cycle if she wasn't successfully bred.&nbsp; The breeder thought she saw a mild heat sign once, and figured better to be safe than sorry.&nbsp; Now she is not so sure it was a heat sign, it was "winking" which can be a little ambiguous as we all know.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The vet was out for several horses that day, shots etc...and the owner for got to mention a palpate as she assumed that gloves were a standard piece of equipment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This silly mare has never had a problem getting preggers before.&nbsp;She is very gentle with her stallions so they are safe from her feet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the info re Kingston.&nbsp; I will tell the breeder as she is new in her area.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hope I get her back this weekend in a nicely pregnant state....fingers crossed...&nbsp; :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would think when a mare is in with a stallion they display a MORE strong heat cycle.&nbsp; That is what often brings them into heat.&nbsp; So there is a good chance she took with the first stallion then.&nbsp; We always get a swab/do a culture before breeding to make sure mare is free from bacteria/infection and palpate her.&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry but I don't know of any vet that goes out without gloves.&nbsp; That is like saying I will leave syringes at home....LOL!&nbsp; I keep a huge box at home for my own use.&nbsp; I certainly would not be paying that bill.&nbsp; Ultrasound is best to detect pregnancy not palpating.&nbsp; &nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby sugar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We agree regarding the vet, the breeder is unimpressed to say the least, fit to be tied actually.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is the fee like for an ultrasound?&nbsp; The last preg check I had done was a palpate and it was only $25.&nbsp; Do they do it on site?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, normally in with the stud means a strong heat cycle and that is why I am sure she has been successfully bred to the first stud.&nbsp; Obviously the first stud is my preference as well. :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only plus to this whole affair is 2 really sweet studs got to feel like&nbsp;herd horses again and have female companionship for a couple of weeks in a pasture much larger than their normal one paddock.&nbsp; Both the boys are real cuties with really nice personalities.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They do all that on site.&nbsp; Most vets have a portable ultrasound machine.&nbsp; Specify ahead of time that you want that done...as they may have it in a different van if there are more than one vet in the practice.&nbsp; Now having the equipment and reading the ultrasound are two very different things.&nbsp; If I recall with the farm call, tax the ultrasound was nearly $100.&nbsp; Breeding nowadays is NOT cheap.&nbsp; I do AI so we MUST get the exact breeding date as we have IT transported in via AIR or courier.&nbsp; This way my mares stay home....no travel necessary and no stressing them out.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby sugar » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Unfortunately the breeder that I am associated with is not set up for AI retrieval.&nbsp;&nbsp; I couldn't pass up a chance to have my mare bred to either of the 2 foundation stock descendant bloodlines that she has secreted up here in Canada.&nbsp; I have found nothing better in my opinion for my goal of making sporting horses out of Pasos.&nbsp; They are perfect for what I humbly call my "breeding program".&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My goal is gaited horses built for speed and endurance, have some size and be able to jump as well as do reining and cow work.&nbsp;Perfect for older and injured riders who still want to play hard and fast.&nbsp; Pasos&nbsp;like to play hard and have the spirit and energy&nbsp;to follow through.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have 3 foals coming from the breeding farm over the next few years from 2 foundation stock bloodline mares.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BTW, This breed was only recently established in North America, so we are actually only a few generations away from the founding&nbsp;stallions.&nbsp;&nbsp; These bloodlines are versatile and average close 15h,&nbsp;not the prissy little 13h fino stock that is de rigeur in the show ring currently.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Return to Breeding Discussion