Weaning

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Weaning

Postby Megan Ball » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok So Beauty is getting to be that age to be weaned(plus her mom is pretty harried and hard to keep weight on due to the filly nursing). So here's my question. How do I go about weaning? DO I just remove baby from mom all at once and let mom's milk dry up? OR.. Do I do it in stages? Is there a risk of mom getting sick from her milk drying up? I'm talking vet visit not just her being uncomfortable with the sore teats. I've never weaned foals before, but I've weaned kittens, and my own baby and all of them were just cut off. Of course my baby got homo milk. The filly is drinking water, eating hay and her "share" of mare care grain. She is a very big girl and will very shortly be taller then her mom. Thanks for the info in advance!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Leena » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I reduce grain gradually for the dam and I wean gradually. I have found this approach less stressfull for everyone (including myself). First, they have lunch apart. Then I have them in separate stalls for nights. Finally I remove the colt completely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can just remove baby but make sure your mare has very little grain before so she will dry out properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The best is ask your vet about what to do if it's does not dry out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I try to get the foal a nice turnout companion and they learn quickly to forget about mom.  Mom is usually more frantic.  I put the foal on a foal ration before separation and make sure he/she is eating well.  If you can turn them out where they are out of site from one another is best.  Even better if you can send the mare to another farm.  Otherwise you may have to turnout mare in am and baby with companion in pm.  Lots of screaming if in close proximity.  I had them stabled next to each other and we have bars between stall and they could see each other BUT not nurse or nuzzle.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really cut back mare's grain or NONE as she will continue to produce milk.  I usually only do hay/water for a couple of weeks then slowly add grain....my last mare took forever to dry up and always looked like her udder was full for almost a year.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby *Southwinds* » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=1 color=#000000 size=2#ed_cl#When we have weaned our 2 colts, I found that that "outta sight, outta mind" theory worked the best. If you can get the mare off property for a least a month it is really beneficial so there is no bond left.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#We took the mare away with the first colt, I think he whinned once and that was the end of that. He didn't care too much ma was gone. #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# With our 2nd colt though he was very ma attached. 2 weeks before we were supposed to wean him, ma had some slight colicing. So we had to separate them into 2 stalls (he could still see, hear, and smell her) and he just went CRAZY. He was determind to get back with his mother and started bashing his head into the stall door, rearing, pawing, I thought he was going tear the stall door down. Luckily the next day Ma was feeling better and we got her off property asap.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#Another thing to watch for in the spring is mastaditious (sorry i cannot spell that) Our mare got it the next spring after weaning. She started to produce milk although she had no foal, and was not pregnant.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl#Good luck, they are little bundles of joy! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Southwinds*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have seen it both ways.  My foal was weaned in stages she would go out for part of the day with a companion and then the rest of the day and night she was with her mom.  That worked well and was a gradual change.  I have friends where the mom died when it was time to wean ... not from the weaning but due to severe colic.  The baby just started going out with a companion that had been turned out with mom and baby before the incident and was totally fine within 2 days.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for the replies and suggestions! Babe(mom) has a new home and Beauty(filly) is adjusting well with no mom and is just happy to play with the old pony(Peanut). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby zooka » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ponies are awesome babysitters!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So are donkeys! My donkey gelding is an awesome babysitter. He's only 4 so he still likes to play a bit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Breeding Discussion