hmm growth question

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

hmm growth question

Postby shady222 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a Draft (Clydesdale) paint pony cross colt. He is now coming 18 months old and he is nearing 15 hands at 17 months. I have been told that he should reach 15.2 to 15.3 at maturity by people that have seen him. This would mean that he only has 3-4 more inches to grow. that doesnt seem accurate when a draft cross grows till it is 6 years old..(not much but yeah)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most horses, regardless of breed, reach 90#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#%#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# of their full height by 2. Those that look mature at that age are likely to grow less than those that still look pretty immature.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#It is like Ruth says....if they look mature and filled out they will not grow too much more.  Although, if they look gangly and immature they will grow more AND fill out too.  #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I would expect your horse to easily hit the 16H+ mark though.  #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My 1/4 Clyde topped out at an honest 16.2 after he turned 7. How tall were the parents? Have you measured his cannon bone? I find that to be fairly accurate of a finished height.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shady222 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i find nothing has been accurate with him as according to all the height tests and what not. if we went by 2 hands at yearling height he would have been 15hands but he is that now, if i went by the knee measurement he would be 15.2 but hes already 15hh and still looks like a colt and with the elbow to ankle one he would be 15.3 so i really dont know and everytime i do one of these string tests the results change...so all i know is he will atleast be 15.1#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shady and Kiado forever :)
Ride high on Horses, not Drugs :P
shady222
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Breeding Discussion