how old is too old?

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

how old is too old?

Postby Hope03 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:30 pm

My friend is wanting to breed her 20 year old standardbred in the spring when she will be 21. She has had 4 foals in the past 4 years and is in pretty good shape. The vet said she is sound to breed but the owner is still a little weary of it. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for any replies.
Hope03
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would breed that mare, providing she isn't full of cysts or whatnot. 4 foals and 21 isn't bad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If she is healthy and has had healthy foals in the past then she will be fine. Though as with any breeding there are always risks. If she is white or grey she could have cancer which can cause complications. But if she vet has said shes fine then it should be ok. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't see any problem--Her Vet gave her the green light.  If she has had 4 foals without complications and not too long ago she should have no trouble catching.  When they do get older it is best to foal every year otherwise if it has been a while it may be more difficult for them to catch.  My mares at age 22 and 25 foaled with no complications.  Both had large healthy foals.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If breeding is new to your friend it is good to get to know her mare's cycle starting in early spring.  This way it is easier to pinpoint the optimum breeding time.  Do lots of reading on breeding/foaling.  A healthy mare=a healthy baby.  Follow veterinary protocol for mare care like proper vaccinations and a good worming schedule.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ArabJumper » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:12 pm

I bred a 20 yro maiden mare. I first got a vets OK and then a second
opinion. The mare got inseminated first shot  had a great pregnacy
and easy delivery. It should be on a horse by horse case. I dont think
its good to generalize an age for every horse. They are
individuals. 
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies