Which stallion ?

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Which stallion ?

Postby tanya » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am planning on breeding my mare next year and have picked two stallions that I like . Does anyone have any input good/bad on these to or suggestions for others ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mare is a 8 year old 15.2 a arab/TB with a bit of something else in there. She is on the lighter built side and I am aimimg for something larger and with dressage and jumping ability. She has not foaled before so this will be her first. I was going to register her AWS but missed the inspection this year. Unfortantely I don't have any pictures right now but there are no conformation faults. I am looking for live cover if possible but AI would be a second choice only if the stallion would be worth the headache.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The two that I have on my list now that I think will match is#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.freeholdequine.com/coppertop.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.freeholdequine.com/coppertop.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.dancinglite.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.dancinglite.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The sighted sees not the world but the blind sees the world in one small child.
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:32 pm

I liked the first one Copper better. No specific reason, I just like
him.  You should find their offspring and see what kind of babies
that the mares produced. Try to look at mares that are similar , smae
breed, as your mare.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Breeding is a lotto I think. Got a pic of your mare?? #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Positively4thStreet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dancing Lite, all the way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Brianna » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#If I am not mistaken, someone on this board owns Dancing Lite. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Brianna
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby TrueColours » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tanya - both may compliment your mare well. You need to decide which weak areas your mare has and which stallion has the best chance of correcting those flaws in her #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Breeding mares and raising foals is not cheap. Will this mare give you what you desire in your ideal foal?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A stallion can only do so much and better than 50% of the genetic traits (some breeders feel 60% or better) comes from the mare, so will your mare give you the 50-60% that you are looking for in a foal?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you havent totally narrowed down the field, please also take a look at Guaranteed Gold at:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/stallions.html"#ed_cl#http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/stallions.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Click on his main link to take you into his personal photo album where you can see more pictures of him and his foals and his family tree!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with your choice! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby babytigger » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:58 pm

Brianna wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#8000ff#ed_cl#If I am not mistaken, someone on this board owns Dancing Lite. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i do believe you're correct bri....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#was it spyder?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby tanya » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your quick responses. Both stallions would compliment my mare, both have good temperments and breeding. Both have produced nice babies. Dancing Lite is closer and will do live cover for $500.00, but $800.00 for Copper with cooled would be OK according to my vet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The reason I am looking this way is she has a type 2 uterus ( something that makes it harder to get in foal, I am not completely sure exactly what is involved ) and the vet said live would be best, fresh would be a good second choice or cooled is also a possibility. With so few stallion doing live it becomes harder to find a quality stallion.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#True Colours, does your stallion do live or fresh ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Which stallion ?

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:57 am

tanya wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# but there are no conformation faults#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sure she has some! What would you like to improve on her? I'm thinking if she's a lighter boned mare I would prefer Dancing Lite, but if you want something to do jumpers Copper might be better. My take on the two of them is that Dancing Lite is more dressagey, and I know that Copper can really jump. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've got to ask why you're going with AWS as a registry when your foal will be born in Canada?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, Spyder owns Dancing Lite.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, the Shickedanz's do LC on their stallions - Heling, Hilton and FerrariGS.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#out of the two you posted I like dancing lite better.  I know more of the horses in his pedigree.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:20 am

Dancing Elite or Guarunteed Gold would be my choices. Gold has always
been a stud I've drooled over. Just need to find a nice mare to breed
him to. LOL maybe I could convince my bf to get his Morgan mare bred to
him this spring AI. LOL. I didn't like Copper T's build as much, but
that's just personal prefrence, to me he looks built a bit downhill,
which I don't care for but that's just a personal opinion.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You really need to isolate exactly what you want and take a really hard
look at your mare's conformation and pick what would be the best
compliment. Every horse has a flaw, what is it on your mare? Pick a
stud that will correct it.You mention that you want something bigger,
and Elite seems to throw bigger babies, or at least that's what the
site says. You need to decide exactly what you want in a foal too. Is
it to sell the foal, or keep it for your own purposes? What would your
goals be for that foal?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My BO has a mare that's KWPN X QH who's pretty nice. Her dam was a
plain jane QH with nothing special....just an average horse but with a
good mind. So they crossed her to the KWPN stud and got Bella, who
looks and moves very much like a warmblood. Her trot is awesome, it's a
great trot. Her other gates are nice...but her sire passed on a very
good trot. She's doing dressage at home right now, but once her rider
gets the guts to show I bet she'll do very well.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, I agree, I like Dancing Lite's pedigree better too. I also like him better as a horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also I am not the biggest fan of Lorbas, all the ones I have known have been quirky to some degree or another. However, I have a friend that has met Copper on more than one occasion - he can really jump and has a super temperament.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tanya » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A friend had taken some pictures 2 years ago and I am posting them here. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://photobucket.com/albums/b297/combotanya/th_R001-007.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://photobucket.com/albums/b297/combotanya/th_R001-008.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GD  I like the picture I see of him jumping so even though I agree with Ruth Dancing Lite is dressagy he has good form over jumps and he has the breeding for both.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am leaning more to Dancing Lite and GD I do intend to keep the foal. I am looking for an all around horse that can do just about anything and everything. I did see one foal from him a year ago that was up for sale and he was huge. Like about  16.2 and he was only 2 years !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I like about Copper is his temperment and size and cost. He can jump and also could be good in dressage so I think I am comparing two closely matched stallions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have not looked that much into Gold and maybe True Colours will reply to my question.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TrueColours » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks goldendryad! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We have bred Guaranteed Gold to a really fabulous Morgan mare this year and we all feel that foal will be just dynamite! She's a really gorgeous bay dressage mare and a buckskin cross between the 2 of them would be really really special.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tanya - yes - GG does Live Cover and fresh cooled. We are stuck doing a lot of Live Cover simply because of the requirement for TB's to get Jockey Club papers they need to be bred that way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So - a new barn was built to house the mares coming in to be bred. there are usually 6-8 stallions on the premises at any given time to tease the mares prior to breeding and we have some mares that come in for the day or the hour to be covered and then go home, and some that stay longer until they either tease out, or are confirmed in foal#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#let me know if you need any questions answered - #ed_op#A href="mailto:truecolours@cogeco.ca"#ed_cl#truecolours@cogeco.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have fun deciding! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
True Colours Farm

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds and Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold, 16.1hh cremello TB stallion

http://www.TrueColoursFarm.com
TrueColours

Postby goldendryad » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:24 am

Tanya - are those two pics of your mare? If so she's gorgeous, I just love her, very pretty.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
You said there's a bit of something else in her breeding other than Arab/TB...I'm thinking maybe Morgan?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Temperment is a gamble. I know a few difficult mares that have been
bred to a really quiet, good-tempered stud and seemed to inherit his
temperment. And then I've seen mares that always throw a difficult
tempered baby. My friend's mare is like that, her foals are always
challenging, but they are still sweet and seem to grow out of it by the
time they're 3. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Then there are the mixes where both sire and dam have great temperments and the baby does not. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I've always been of the opinion that if a stud doesn't have a nice disposition, then "geld him and improve the breed." #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Decision making is half the fun. Whatever stud you use, I hope you have
a happy and healthy baby. Any of the three will give you something with
potential and versatility.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Just let us know which you pic!#ed_op#img src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really like Dancing Lite!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby tanya » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:11 am

goldendryad wrote:Tanya - are those two pics of your mare? If so she's gorgeous, I just love her, very pretty.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#You said there's a bit of something else in her breeding other than Arab/TB...I'm thinking maybe Morgan?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Just let us know which you pic!#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you. Her name is Tara. I think you can see why I am looking at these two studs and either will work I think. My only concern with putting TB into her is because of her lighter build. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may be right regarding morgan. I don't know her true breeding as I purchased her at auction. This is also why I was looking at the AWS for registration.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Looking at those two pictures I am now definitely saying Dancing Lite - your mare's topline needs improvement and Dancing Lite has a much better topline than Copper. If this is your mare's first foal chances are it won't be huge anyway. For improving a topline I can recommend Rasputin, but he is more expensive than those two, they used to offer LC but I'm not sure if they still do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even with unproven parentage on the mare's side you can get CWBHA or CSH papers for the foal. For CWB you can have your mare recorded in the auxiliary book and if you breed either to a CWBHA approved stallion or a stallion from an #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#approved#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# Warmblood registry (AWS isn't one of them) you can get I think it is white papers (full papers, but lowest studbook) on the resulting foal. I had originally been planning on registering this year's horse foal by Lancaster out of a TB/QH mare (no papers) AWS, but when I discovered I could go this route with CWHBA I've changed my mind. I'd rather she had Canadian papers, and there are a lot of breeder incentives out there now. Even though Lancaster isn't approved as a stallion by the Holsteiner registry, he is still a registered Holsteiner and therefore qualifies as the 50% approved Warmblood blood.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For CSH you can take your mare to an inspection and if she passes, which is more than likely, if the stallion is CSH approved you can get full CSH papers on the foal. The only thing I'd be worried about is that she is under 16hh, but the fact she has no papers won't be an issue at all. I'm planning on taking my aforementioned TB/QH mare for CSH inspection next year, she is only 15.2, but she throws lovely big babies so I will wait until her next foal is born. We had a 15.3 ASB approved a few years ago, and they did take the fact that her foal at foot was a nice sport horse type into consideration. Also a friend of mine who had a crooked moving Clyde X mare and part of the reason they passed her was because she had a very straight and correct foal at foot, the inspectors could see she didn't pass the paddling and weirdness on.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby tanya » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth I appreciate your input. You seem to have a handle on what might be right. You also seem to know the Dancing Lite stallion very well, have you bred to him, did you get a nice foal or have you seen any foals. Unfortunately I have only seen the one and he was a beauty.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you have a website for Rasputin, where is he? Just one last question , how are the owners of these stallions to deal with?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rith can correct me if I have the wrong stallion but here you go Tanya#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.aaross.ca/rasputin.html"#ed_cl#http://www.aaross.ca/rasputin.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ArabJumper » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:38 pm

How did you guys all decide to pick Dancing Lite? Did you look at other photos also? Are there conformation shots?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
They both look like very nice stallions. How about a picture of you mare, the stallion is just half the story.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Good luck with your breeding.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Next

Return to Breeding Discussion