Heat Cycles

Discussion about breeding including stallions, foaling, weaning and much more.

Moderator: EC

Heat Cycles

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I posted about this in General, but didn't get any responses. Maybe this is a better forum. My mare cycles constantly--every 2-3 weeks, but never predictable. I give her Feisty Mare because if I didn't she would continue to cycle right through the winter. Today my vet offered a suggestion of putting a marble in her uterus. This tricks the body into thinking it is pregnant, and the mare stops cycling. It can be easily reversed apparently if you ever want to breed the mare.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My question is, does anyone know of a reason NOT to do this? It is inexpensive and drug-free, so looks like a good strategy...  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Re: Heat Cycles

Postby Positively4thStreet » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There were two mares at a barn I used to work at, both had marbles. One was a complete b*tch, one was a real sweetheart. It didn't really seem to affect their usual attitude (b*tch stayed a b*tch, sweetheart stayed a sweetheart), but they weren't nuts (or more nuts than usual, anyway) during their cycle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't see any reason not to get it done.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the reply! It is good to hear from someone who has seen this first-hand. My mare's temperament is not a problem, she is a real sweetheart. I only get a little attitude sometimes, like if she is in heat she can be a little jumpier out hacking, or a little less willing to work if we're schooling. The issue is really the M-E-S-S #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl#she makes once we start blanketing , as well as the ongoing cost of Feisty Mare. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Postby Positively4thStreet » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:43 pm

Trufflemaker wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The issue is really the M-E-S-S #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/8.gif"#ed_cl#she makes once we start blanketing , as well as the ongoing cost of Feisty Mare.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Yeah, it definately made an impact on that. It was sooo much nicer to have  slightly-less-horribly-stinky stalls to clean, and to have clean blankets to put on.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I'd say go for it.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think I will... I'll call the vet this afternoon and he can plan to do it when he comes to give her shots.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Postby ArabJumper » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#anything foreign object intorduced into a body can cause a reaction and is also subject to being covered in a biofilm, like a fake joint , etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im sure it would be fine. Ive never heqrd of problems with this simple procedure before. It will help you with your mare problems. Good luck.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby cadence » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would just be sure to talk to your vet to get all the pros and cons.  You don't want to suddenly have a sterile mare because you later found out that there is a 1% chance of permanent sterility due to infection because of introducing a foreign object in her uterus.  You need to know all the stats and figures up front.  There is, I heard, the risk of losing the marble.  A mare's uterus is made up of 2 horns and they are impossible to get to at the very ends, so you want to know what the odds are the marble might make its way to the end of one of the horns.  Make sure your vet is experienced with marbles before having it done.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's sorta like people - IUD's work great, but some 20% of people have problems and about 1% have very significant problems.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#how do you get the marble out?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me lots o#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me lots to think #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me lots to #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me lots to think about, and good questions #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just had a good chat with the vet about the procedure. Apparently there is no chance of the marble getting into either horn of the uterus, because of the orientation of the horns--they point up towards the ovaries, and the uterus hangs below them, in a U shape. The marble will stay down because of gravity. He recommends waiting until spring to do the procedure, when she first goes into season. The mare is sedated since she's not likely to be too keen about it. The marble is sterilized with isopropyl alcohol for at least 1/2 an hour, dried off, and inserted with all due sterile procedures. The mare is watched for any signs of infection/rejection, and appropriate steps taken if there are problems. I forgot to ask about how they would remove it, but I will ask next time I see him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Marbling is not a common procedure because most people just use drugs. In any case, I have the winter to think about it. I wouldn't want her to get an infection and/or be sterile as a result. I don't own a farm and would not likely ever breed her, but you never know what the future will bring, so obviously it is good to keep those options open. Thanks for all your advice. You gave me lots to think about, and good questions to ask.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Postby ArabJumper » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 am

Is it better than drugs used for regulation??
ArabJumper
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Trufflemaker » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well personally I prefer drug-free options. It's in the pharmaceutical industry's interests to promote drug use, and they've done a really good job of it. What is it doing to our ecology--and our health--in the long run ?! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Trufflemaker

Return to Breeding Discussion