ligament injury

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

ligament injury

Postby goldendryad » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:37 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was wondering about the possible soundness of a horse with a severed ligament. The horse in question cut right through it...the ligament behind her cannon (I think that's what it would be called, darn don't have anatomy thingy beside me) on her hind leg when she was a yearling. She is pasture/breeding sound. It has healed over but there is a scar where it happened. They don't know how she cut it, but she did. The vet told them to euthanise her. But they kept her as a pasture pet and she has had one really nice filly for them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm wondering if it could have healed? They did bandage/treat it according to what the vet told them to do. She is in no pain and does not seem stiff on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm just curious about an injury like this and what a horse with the injury could do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone ever heard of something like this?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It really depend of how deep the ligament was cut. Even with a torned suspensory, some horses will  never recover.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is it in front or hind ? When this happen ? A year, a few years ? Best way to know is put this horse back to work and see how it can be handled. This is a 649 lotery ticket question.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby mallard » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A few years ago I had a 2 yr old who completely severed her superficial digital tendon just below the hock. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We managed to grab the bottom section of the tendon & hold it in place with pressure. The top half of the tendon disappeard from our grasp.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She was on stall rest with pressure bandages for a LONG time, and she had to have lots of proud flesh removed. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She had a noticible bump at the injury site, but she did come 100% sound. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I sold her as an unbacked 3 year old the next year & don't know what she is doing now...Maybe it's the same horse!?!?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pretty chestnut QH/TB with a star. Had a bit of an attitude! She would be 8 this year.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition