how to loose weight and add energy

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

how to loose weight and add energy

Postby Cheryl » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trick is overweight and needs energy.  We have actually increased his feed as we believe he might not have getting enough food to get enough fuel for energy.  He also has hyperhydrosis (sweats too much).  The last blood test he had when he was bad with it showed that he was low in phosphorus so I have added a multi-vitamin to his foot.  Any other idea?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I lift my margarita and drink a salute to Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit.
Cheryl

Postby Patricia » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You may want to contact a nutritionist.  I would think like any human and you want to lose weight you start a regime/workout program.  Keep a diary.  Gradually increase his work.  Energy often will come once you are more fit.  Turning that fat into muscle and resculpting their body takes time.  I would not work too hard in this very HOT weather.  I like to start increasing feed once I see weight loss and really only then.  He probably has zero energy from no work.  He must develop more stamina.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lunging would probly help with toning him up a bit and building stamina. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For feed, if you are looking for him to loose weight but gain energy you can buy a high performance feed. I buy Shur-Gain high performance extruded kibble for xena. I also add in a small amount if high fat high fiber. She has a really high work load though because she is getting in shape for and event I am taking her too though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can also monitor hay intake and type of hay... Remember the 12 rules of feeding? Feed little and often? Horses dont constantly need hay in front of their faces which is something pretty much everyone except show stable do. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What kind of food ishe getting right now?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ej is over weight... I feed All Phase 20 made by Kentucky Equine Research. It is a feed that has all the proper viatims and minerals that she needs withought the extra caloric intake. It only has 2% fat but has 20% protein. I've found this feed great. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On the recomendation of a nutritionist, she gets 2 lbs / day. 1lb in morning 1 lb. in evening.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Cheryl » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow I posted this then completely forgot about it. #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trick is on 24 hour turnout for the summer.  He is on a mixture of hay flakes, roundbale & some grass.  The feed he is on is the grain that Sunderland feed custom makes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is getting better.  I think it is a mixture of getting more food & riding him with spurs.  It looks like I even have to get him a smaller girth!!  Mind you he is wearing a 56" one...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Leena » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cheryl,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't if this could help but when we bought our canadian breed mare, she was sweting constantly. Within one month she did eat 4 kg of Pro Bloc which is a vitamines and mineral supplement. In addition to this the vet told me to get her red salt: she did go through her block in one month.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since I give her supplement during winter, with free mineral and she never swet again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now since you are saying your horse is overweight, it is normal that he has a lack of energy. He is probably not in shape also.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would check for a good mineral source and salt first, put him back in shape second and check how is weight is. Being on turn out, it is quite difficult to control the amount of hay he is eating. Personnaly, I would go very slowly on any changes of diet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition