Degenerative Joint Disease

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Degenerative Joint Disease

Postby *Eli's coming* » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything about degenerative joint disease.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My horse was just recently diagnosed with this in a hock.  The vet said that the prognosis was poor.  I was wondering if anybody knew anything about it?  Right now he's getting the injections, does anybody know if these help?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The other alternative is joint fusion.  I don't know a lot about this yet, but I was wondering if anyone has had this done to a horse, if it is worthwhile, how painful it is to the horse, and things like that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would love for my horse to be rideable again, but I don't want to put him through a lot of pain.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, how does this disease progress?  If I don't go with surgery, what will his quality of life be like?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sarah#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Eli's coming*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What part of the hock is affected?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's a good article on DJD in various spots in the hock and surgery/treatments. I've been doing a lot of research lately on DJD because my horse has it in his fetlock. #ed_op#A href="http://www.goodthunder.com/articles.asp?articleid=13"#ed_cl#http://www.goodthunder.com/articles.asp?articleid=13#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Eli's coming* » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is in the right proximal intertarsal joint of the hock, and it is osteolytic.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Eli's coming*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, the good news is that's a low motion joint. What are you injecting with?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did a write up in the vet forum about the results from investigating surgical anthrodesis of the fetlock joint on my horse. I called London Equine about it - they are very good about talking to you on the phone about these things. I learned a lot and the surgeon spent a long time on the phone with me. Give them a call if you can. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby TackOhBelle » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am also an owner of a mare with arthritis in her hocks. I was getting her hocks injected with both legend (hyaloronic acid) and cortisone in both the top and bottom joints. She was getting them done every 6 mths, but i stopped injecting this spring. I think that she must have some arthritis in her fetlocks in front. I have her on a high dose of glucosamine to help her lubricate the joints and I did have her on bute at a very low dose, but overtime, it can have adverse affects to the kidneys or the liver. plus its kinda hard on the stomach. I have finally retired her and she goes for walk hacks with me and thats all she can do. shes just so stiff now, but some mobility is good for the joints. Lots of turnout is also beneficial. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TackOhBelle
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Rio Roulette » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can keep some horses on long time bute without adverse effects, depends on the horse. Also, with new ulcer medications now, you can supplement the bute with them to protect the stomach lining. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sinny » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of Bute you can use whitewillow bark with is the nonsynthetic form of bute it is all natural and I found it helps alot and doesn't harm the horses system.  I bought a big bag it it over 5 years ago and lasted me about 4 years I haven't found anywhere around me to but it though.  We used it on a mare who was about 36 years old to keep her comfortable for her last summer and put her down before the fall came, she had cushings. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sinny
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Eli's coming* » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry it took so long to reply,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since writing last, I've heard from the vet, and it's not good.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Without surgery, he's not ridable at all, and with surgery, at best I could get on once in a long while and walk around a bit.  So for now, I'll keep him comfortable, because I really can't afford surgery any time soon, and he seems to not be in any pain.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I now have one Big pasture ornament#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Eli's coming*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to hear that - join the club - my 7 yo is a lawn ornament now. He has DJD and it's not operable (not that I would go that route, because the joint fusion surgery is hugely invasive) because he's also got something going on with the bones themselves - they look mottled on the x-ray so they probably couldn't handle the fusion surgery. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Eli's coming* » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how that is, mine is only 10.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also wouldn't go that route unless it's absolutely necessary, my boy wouldn't stand up well with all the inaction.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to hear about your boy too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Eli's coming*
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition