Really Weird - Abcess On The Body?

Discussion on anything equine health-related.

Moderator: EC

Postby Chisholm » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Patrica, you know I think it's super that Sp called the VET, because the rule of thumb calling the vet is if you have no clue what it is or how to deal with it you CALL!   Better safe than sorry.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And if the vet says to do it, we do it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SP sounds like all is on the right track.  Though weird, I would guess he is having a reaction to bug bits or bee sting.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep us posted on how it goes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Pippa » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:54 am

I think I know what you are talking about SP. Two of my horses have had
them this year.   Big honking lump, then a scap appears in the
middle.  When the scap is picked, there is a perfect lttle hole
that you can sqeeze pus out of for a couple of days.  Then the
lump goes down.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm pretty sure it is a fly bite.  Really nasty though.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Pippa
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Yes Pippa that's it exactly! Nasty things...never heard or seen of it before. I wonder if its one of those weird warbler flies....#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gosh....Have I been told today!....LOL!  Well I assume SP is at a boarding barn.  When I boarded out there are usually knowledgeable boarders or a Barn Manager who you can look to for advice who are more in the know.  It is how we all pick up knowledge to learn to treat different ailments.  It is obvious it is far from the heart and not life threatening.  Sometimes just some good batheing and flushing out the area will be enough and after a couple of day is clear.  If I ever called the vet for every scrap and bump I'd be in the poor house.  I have 6 horses.  I only call when it is an emergency...like colic, or a lameness.   I handle most other things, BUT in the event it doesn't clear up then I call.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, something everyone should learn to do is also give injections.  My vet showed me years ago...as he couldn't come twice a day to do it.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:02 pm

OH, I didn't actually have the vet out - I just called her Pat. She wanted to wait until the end of the week to see if it went down or not instead of wasting my $ for an abcess (which she thought it was) that I could treat easily without her. I have treated hoof and throat abcesses before but they didn't look like this. The vet did stock me up on lots of good things for it though just in case and they seem to have worked! The wound itself hasn't healed right up yet but there is no more lump. Yea I am at a boarding stable with a few old timers but no one had ever seen or heard of an abcess where this one is.
I know how to give needles too but I can't do it to my own horses. :?
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Previous

Return to Veterinary, Farrier & Equine Nutrition